Unum Group

Unum Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen

Tom Watjen

Pros:
  • "Excellent benefits, generally provides good work-life balance, some areas provide nice advancement opportunities"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "anything good you hear about this company is from upper management or a "teachers pet""
    in 5 reviews
  • "Like any large company the bureaucracy does drag somewhat, but it is not a major problem"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Trenches of Deskside Support

Software Installer (Former Employee)
Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group

ProsThe pay and benefits were good. Location was also good. Unfortunately that is all that was good about the place.

ConsThe lack of competent management took the wind out of the sails of the department. No system setup to move forward in one's career. Constant back stabbing in the department. That was my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment which fosters cohesion as well as set up a system which a person can follow to move up and to learn more. Bring a more stable management base into the department.

Good place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Unum Group

ProsUnum is a good place to work with a nice work environment, training and corporate atmosphere. The service team works well together and is focused on customer satisfaction and long-term retention.

ConsThe dowside comprises of a gap between the sales and service teams. Service should be considered an extension of the sales team. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementBridge the gap. Although the office is known for achieving goals, it is due to individual success, not that of the team.

I liked my time at UNUM

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Proshard work = good pay and good benefits. it can be a lot of fun to work there if you have a good work ethic, thick skin and are money motivated

Conssome of the upper level management didn't really care much about the reps; but that's pretty much the case everywhere from what i've seen....

Advice to Senior Managementi would continue to provide aggressive comp plans and rewards for producers with the ability to leverage retention as you spend more years with the company... also, provide managers who are more in tune with what makes each individual rep succeed.

Extremely proud to work for this company

Non-management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unum Group

ProsMy experience at Unum has been great. They have paid for school, benefits are good, salary is extremely competitive, and I have received numerous opportunities for growth in my career. After working for several other employers I finally came to Unum due to the recommendation of several friends. Of course all jobs have their bad days and no employer is perfect, but overall I have been extremely impressed with management and have been treated very well.

ConsAs others have mentioned, your experience is directly affected by your department and the type of work you do. Be sure to evaluate the work carefully when interviewing and don't hesitate to ask specific questions before accepting a position (ask what a typical day looks like, what the department goals are, if there are production requirements, etc). There are many positions with unfamiliar names, so if you don't ask you may not be 100% sure what your job will look like. Also, this is a LARGE company. I have worked for both large and small companies and I enjoy the hustle and bustle of large corporations. If you prefer a small company this may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my opinion Sr. Management works hard to improve the work environment and employee morale. They continually seek feedback and are open to change. Continue that you'll continue to run a successful company.

Great company with as much focus towards employees as their customers.

IT Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unum Group

ProsExcellent benefits package right off the bat when you're hired on - you get roughly 20 days of paid time off (PTO) plus a week's worth of company holidays. Competitive health-care package. Pay is decent enough in IT for the area along with company bonuses handed out yearly according to profit/employee performance. Unum seeks to identify and encourage employee dedication and rewards with promotions. Chattanooga campus is very self-contained so there is little need to rush off in a hurry at lunchtime as there is an excellent cafeteria, credit union, walking track, and outdoor garden for break times. Mid-level management are usually very personable and approachable and treat everyone as adults without micro-managing. Great effort is spent on making the work environment as enjoyable as possible without distracting from the work itself.

ConsDepending on the department you work in - daily schedule and leeway in how you manage your time at work can differ greatly. For example, the customer service call center takes inbound calls from insurance customers so the employees there are tied to the phones and monitored. If they are off the phones for 5 minutes, to answer a personal cell phone call for instance, management may come around and inquire. This is in start contrast to other departments, whose employees may only see their manager once a week at a staff meeting. That being said, Unum call-center employees are working at one of the best call centers in the area due to the month vacation time and good pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say really, as I said before - management seems to be doing everything right already. Keep it up !

Solid Company

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unum Group

ProsSolid company with opportunity for growth. I have seen personal and professional growth in my time with the company and have seen other succeed as well. It is not a place to get a free ride but if you are wiling to put effort into your job there is reward available.

ConsThe corporate cultre is very slow in decision making, even though you get good personal and professional grownth sometimes limited opportunity for promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the efforts that you have started. Continue to expand our offering and find ways for our organization to increase good quality sales.

sales force is getting younger and younger with the majority of reps often leaving by year 4.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Unum Group

ProsThe best training in the industry, very knowledgable management team (probably the best in the industry) great benefis. Very solid group of senior management. A good team atmosphere, with tenured service staff.

ConsVery small territories given to reps (even senior reps) and new models call for more reps in evey city. The "churn and burn" atmosphere of sales permeates throughout the salesforce. It can be tough to coexist with producing managers that may or may not have a reps best interest first. Too often you are caught looking over your shoulder at trainees that are waiting for a territory to open up or take territory from every rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many reps, too many mangers. Your competition has proved that a leaner model not only works, but is necessary in todays market. Too much solid talent has left this organizaiton to be top sales rep for your competition.

Go elsewhere

DBS (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA

ProsGood PTO
Dental, Mental, and Vision
LTD/STD

ConsIf you wish to have a career do not come here. Unum is not the place if you wish to move up the corporate later. They lie about career mobility here. They usually hire a bunch of bright individuals but they quickly leave the company once they realize that there are no benefits to working here besides taking home a paycheck. Unum has also had issues with sexism. There are barely any females in upper management. The only good thing about this place is the PTO and trust me you will need it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with actual leadership skills. Stop lying to potiential employees about how the company promotes. If

Good Pay. Interesting work

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsGreat projects
Insightful and pleasant manager
Great opportunities
Opportunity for professional development
Overall a great summer internship experience. Included field office visit in Atlanta

ConsChattanooga in not my favorite city
Atmosphere is more casual than I desired
Sometimes ran out of work
 It would have been better if I could have worked for 3 months instead of 2.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could have used a little more analytical work but I know it was hard finding projects that were both not over my head but still challenging.

Unum - Lack of leadership and consistency

Senior Disability Benefits Specialist (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

ProsTime off
Coworkers
Benefits package is adequate

ConsProcesses keep changing, no input sought from those people actually performing the essential work duties
Management does not know how to develop performance
Management pays attention only to favorite employees, ignores the rest
Management does not communicate professionally
Senior management has no clue what directors are doing or how they treat employees
Advancement and promotions tied to whether someone likes the employee, now how the employee performs

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to senior management
1. Get rid of most of the directors, hire people who know how to lead and develop
2. Stop getting rid of the most talented people (because you neglect them) and fire the incompetent ones
3. Stop promoting people who the Worcester management team don't even have faith or confidence in
4. Teach your directors how to manage stress effectively - every single month during the last week they freak out, take their frustrations and anxieties out on the employees and manipulate/pressure the employees to close claims inappropriately - it is getting worse and Worcester senior management just protects their directors rather than doing anything about it

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unum Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unum Group CEO Tom Watjen. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by Unum Group employees.