Unum Group

Updated December 4, 2014
3.7

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Unum stresses a great work-life balance and backs it up by offering a generous amount of vacation time (in 14 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff (in 6 reviews)

• big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Negative--learned a lot--mostly that I will never recommend this company to anybody.

Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any for any educated person. If you have a highs-school degree, it beats working at a fast food restaurant for sure, but then again that is all Unum is made out of now. Everybody who can do more moves on.

Cons

POLITICS. Mediocre mid level managers hire and promote each other, so you have a lot of YES people who are undereducated and would not know how to lead a starving horse to a bag of hay. If you have an MBA and are aspiring to do great things, they will not promote you because you are a threat to the VPs and AVPs who are undereducated and clearly underperform. The company cannot bring to fruition anything new because they do not have leaders who can execute. The company is performing based on inertia. The initial leaders set the pace years ago and it is still kind of rolling. I am shocked that it is still in business.

Advice to CEO. Fire all the mid level managers and hire people with at least half of a brain. All of my managers were undereducated thought that they are all that, when really they were the leftovers of all other companies who would not hire them. That is all UNUM now. Advice to Management--if you think anything of yourself and if you are more than what I witnessed in 7 years and what my husband witnessed in more than 10 years--get out of there because my opinion of you is shrinking as days go by. How can you hire somebody to be manager in IT when that person has a high-school diploma and does not even know probably what IT stands for. Shouldn't she at least have a 6 months course from somewhere??

Poor career opportunity

Former Employee - Low Level Associate
    Former Employee - Low Level Associate

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to live in Chattanooga or Portland this is pretty much your best chance for employment. The work life balance was nice, I never really had an issue where my mangers were not reasonable about an emergency or PTO request. The CEO is also a really nice guy and is very visible.

Cons

Pay is way below average (when I left and interviewed at other companies the interviewer actually laughed at what Unum was paying me). Benefits are really not that great like others say in their reviews, the overall employee base is just really unhealthy and old so when I left and compared my plans I was being shafted by being young and healthy. Also, if you are not a manager you really won't be one if you stay with this company. The company does have a management-training program, but it is still rare that someone who goes through that program actually moves up.

Pay your employees (not just your managers) a fair wage. You really need to look at how much say you let other mangers have in your hiring of mid to high level employees. The hand pick managers from previous managers just leads to a society of yes men and inhibits new thought processes. Lastly, invest in technology, when I was there you were still using systems from the 70's.

Unum Disability department is a sweatshop for claims.

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

unrealistic work loads. Management has no concern for employees career path

former ermployee

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

was good for a short time

Cons

too many immature people employed there, watch your back, only hiring younger people just out of college as according to one manager, "their brains are like sponges & they can absorb more and given $8000 bonus" vs employees who are older in age who were consistenty refused avancement. complaints made to STATE for unfair work practices. Company does not want anyone going out on STD or leave. poor handing of employee claims. conflict of interest that Company also handles their own STD & FMLA, and refuses to accept responsiblity for how they treat people. recent mass firing of good employess and demotions for VP. "life expectancy" to work here is a lot shorter than you think, forget disney world, it's not worth to out of pocket expense and putting up with immature people who make fun of others with disablilties and complain about everyone. employees with little time on think they know more than everyone else, including experianced FMLA or STD reps. HR reps will threaten you if you file any complaints against the incompetence of managers and harassment in workplace. BE AFRAID, THINK TWICE BEFORE TAKING JOB HERE. NOT WORTH IT. THERE ARE BETTER PLACES TO WORK OUT THERE!!!

take a closer look at how you treat people and stop micro managing to try to "win" new clients over the competition. needs to take a look at poor management and HR practices which will cost in the end. Who wants to have a company manage their benefits for their employees when that company is practising unlawful discrimination & allowing management to threaten employees while fostering a hostile work environment.

Worst. Company. Ever.

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

IF you want to be treated like cattle and treated like a "number" then this is the place for you! If you like to be treated like a child at age 35 then this is the place for you. If you want to transport back to high school where there are cliques and teacher's pets then this is the place for you!

Cons

I feel like I was duped by accepting a position at Unum. So many promises were made during the interview process, only to find out the recruiters who interview you and provide the information about pay and promotions clearly have no idea what the specific position entails. But I had heard from a friend of a friend it was a good place to work. Worst decision ever. I have vast experience in sales, service, management and could have added value to my team and my manager but it is seen as a threat to their authority and position (which we were constantly reminded hinged on our performance and us not rocking the boat). Upper management is invisible and I was actually reprimanded once for presenting an idea and not clearing it with my manager first because she wanted to so-present it (take credit).

Urge your lower level managers to LISTEN to employees - just because someone might be in a lower level position to get their foot in door does not mean they do not have valid experience and ideas and input to give. Don't make lower level managers an obstacle to growth. But I am sure this will fall on deaf ears since most of the company meetings I had to sit through where we were force fed how great it is, how much they care about employees and their growth , etc. were wrought with employee eye-rolling and "yeah rights".

Worst ever!!

Current Employee - Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Mon-Fri work week. Vacation days. All the money the company wastes on fun days doing nothing, hiring a big name motivational speaker for an all day event, sending employees to Disney world..The pro is for the upper management, CEO's and teachers pets, but the company wastes to much money on fun, but at least there is a lot of fun for the employees!!

Cons

I have had 7 mangers in 7 years of employment. Workflow changes bi-weekly or weekly or daily..(seriously) -Managers pick favorites. for a disability company; they treat employees bad for using FMLA or STD benefits. Teamwork is impossible with managers playing favorites. The employee is never right. The managers think they are and some of us know more than them. No understanding for single mothers leaving to pick up their sick child without having a initial mark on their HR file. Kids dont get sick once a year so if the employee leaves or calls in for this they can eventually loose their job as they only allow 6 occurrences and then you are terminated. Some managers treat their employees worse than you would treat a prisoner. This company says how tey want to make our customers lives better on their commercials, but they dont treat their employees the same. Never take a job their. anything good you hear about this company is from upper management or a "teachers pet". What I said is REAL 100%-

Get your act together-quit changing procedures daily. This only makes us more stressed and confused and causes productivity to slow. Quit picking favorites and dont let your Senior employees(DBS, BCA,,Admin,MRU, etc) tell everyone's business (which they are bound by contract to not do) and then believe them when they say they didnt repeat others personal information.

Awful.

Former Employee - Call Center in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Call Center in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

The only reason to work here is the ability to earn a good salary. They treat workers like slaves and never follow up on promises.

Cons

They treat workers like slaves and never follow up on promises. There is no positives to working here.

Frustrating and Unrewarding

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Excellent benefit package, competitive salary (middle of the road), flexible work environment.

Cons

Incompetent management, deceptive promotion practices, bizarre decisions and decision processes, lack of focus on customer value.

Hold your managers at all levels accountable for value creation, eliminate the cronyism rampant in the Portland, Maine location, and start actually making changes identified by employees in the work environment surveys instead of talking about it. If you don't change you can enjoy the sight of your best and brightest moving on to better job opportunities. I know I did.

Bad place to work

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Unfair Treatment to workers and members.

Cons

Poor pay and Benefits. The people are hateful.

Quit

The Trenches of Deskside Support

Former Employee - Software Installer in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Software Installer in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

The pay and benefits were good. Location was also good. Unfortunately that is all that was good about the place.

Cons

The lack of competent management took the wind out of the sails of the department. No system setup to move forward in one's career. Constant back stabbing in the department. That was my experience.

Create an environment which fosters cohesion as well as set up a system which a person can follow to move up and to learn more. Bring a more stable management base into the department.

Unum Group Photos

Unum Building, Chattanooga (Photo thanks to Flickr user Larry Miller, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Side of Unum building and part of parking lot during the snow storm we had a few weeks back. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Always, Erika with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo