Unum Group Reviews

Reset
3.5
Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • The work life balance was nice, I never really had an issue where my mangers were not reasonable about an emergency or PTO request (in 14 reviews)

• Unum has a great benefits package (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff (in 6 reviews)

• big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused (in 4 reviews)

Go elsewhere

Current Employee - DBS in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - DBS in Glendale, CA

Pros

Good PTO Dental, Mental, and Vision LTD/STD

Cons

If you wish to have a career do not come here. Unum is not the place if you wish to move up the corporate later. They lie about career mobility here. They usually hire a bunch of bright individuals but they quickly leave the company once they realize that there are no benefits to working here besides taking home a paycheck. Unum has also had issues with sexism. There are barely any females in upper management. The only good thing about this place is the PTO and trust me you will need it.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with actual leadership skills. Stop lying to potiential employees about how the company promotes. If

The Trenches of Deskside Support

Former Employee - Software Installer in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Software Installer in Portland, ME

Pros

The pay and benefits were good. Location was also good. Unfortunately that is all that was good about the place.

Cons

The lack of competent management took the wind out of the sails of the department. No system setup to move forward in one's career. Constant back stabbing in the department. That was my experience.

Advice to Management

Create an environment which fosters cohesion as well as set up a system which a person can follow to move up and to learn more. Bring a more stable management base into the department.

Awful.

Former Employee - Call Center in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Call Center in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

The only reason to work here is the ability to earn a good salary. They treat workers like slaves and never follow up on promises.

Cons

They treat workers like slaves and never follow up on promises. There is no positives to working here.

Worst ever!!

Current Employee - Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Mon-Fri work week. Vacation days. All the money the company wastes on fun days doing nothing, hiring a big name motivational speaker for an all day event, sending employees to Disney world..The pro is for the upper management, CEO's and teachers pets, but the company wastes to much money on fun, but at least there is a lot of fun for the employees!!

Cons

I have had 7 mangers in 7 years of employment. Workflow changes bi-weekly or weekly or daily..(seriously) -Managers pick favorites. for a disability company; they treat employees bad for using FMLA or STD benefits. Teamwork is impossible with managers playing favorites. The employee is never right. The managers think they are and some of us know more than them. No understanding for single mothers leaving to pick up their sick child without having a initial mark on their HR file. Kids dont get sick once a year so if the employee leaves or calls in for this they can eventually loose their job as they only allow 6 occurrences and then you are terminated. Some managers treat their employees worse than you would treat a prisoner. This company says how tey want to make our customers lives better on their commercials, but they dont treat their employees the same. Never take a job their. anything good you hear about this company is from upper management or a "teachers pet". What I said is REAL 100%-

Advice to Management

Get your act together-quit changing procedures daily. This only makes us more stressed and confused and causes productivity to slow. Quit picking favorites and dont let your Senior employees(DBS, BCA,,Admin,MRU, etc) tell everyone's business (which they are bound by contract to not do) and then believe them when they say they didnt repeat others personal information.

Unum Disability department is a sweatshop for claims.

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

unrealistic work loads. Management has no concern for employees career path

Poor career opportunity

Former Employee - Low Level Associate
    Former Employee - Low Level Associate

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to live in Chattanooga or Portland this is pretty much your best chance for employment. The work life balance was nice, I never really had an issue where my mangers were not reasonable about an emergency or PTO request. The CEO is also a really nice guy and is very visible.

Cons

Pay is way below average (when I left and interviewed at other companies the interviewer actually laughed at what Unum was paying me). Benefits are really not that great like others say in their reviews, the overall employee base is just really unhealthy and old so when I left and compared my plans I was being shafted by being young and healthy. Also, if you are not a manager you really won't be one if you stay with this company. The company does have a management-training program, but it is still rare that someone who goes through that program actually moves up.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees (not just your managers) a fair wage. You really need to look at how much say you let other mangers have in your hiring of mid to high level employees. The hand pick managers from previous managers just leads to a society of yes men and inhibits new thought processes. Lastly, invest in technology, when I was there you were still using systems from the 70's.

Negative--learned a lot--mostly that I will never recommend this company to anybody.

Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any for any educated person. If you have a highs-school degree, it beats working at a fast food restaurant for sure, but then again that is all Unum is made out of now. Everybody who can do more moves on.

Cons

POLITICS. Mediocre mid level managers hire and promote each other, so you have a lot of YES people who are undereducated and would not know how to lead a starving horse to a bag of hay. If you have an MBA and are aspiring to do great things, they will not promote you because you are a threat to the VPs and AVPs who are undereducated and clearly underperform. The company cannot bring to fruition anything new because they do not have leaders who can execute. The company is performing based on inertia. The initial leaders set the pace years ago and it is still kind of rolling. I am shocked that it is still in business.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO. Fire all the mid level managers and hire people with at least half of a brain. All of my managers were undereducated thought that they are all that, when really they were the leftovers of all other companies who would not hire them. That is all UNUM now. Advice to Management--if you think anything of yourself and if you are more than what I witnessed in 7 years and what my husband witnessed in more than 10 years--get out of there because my opinion of you is shrinking as days go by. How can you hire somebody to be manager in IT when that person has a high-school diploma and does not even know probably what IT stands for. Shouldn't she at least have a 6 months course from somewhere??

Career Killer

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-They promote work from home (to save facilities costs) and have employees technology scattered around the entire country(US) -PTO is generous

Cons

Please note that I worked in the IT organization so my review is based on my experience work in their IT organization -Riddled with politics and if you are an individual who values making a difference, they will beat you down to their level...which is: keep the light bulb on and keep singing praises of your managers. -They promote work from home and will even force employees to work from home to save facilities costs. You might think thats a positive but work from home will kill your career progression. I was outright told that in order to be promoted, I have to be in Chattanooga or Portland. -Your hard work simply does not matter for promotions. What matters is who you know. For example, i beat out their best technologist in the market for a role we both pursued. This is a guy who was promoted ahead of me on the basis that he was more qualified than i was. I still beat him after his promotion for a role in the market much senior than both our roles (AVP/VP Level) even though he had a director level position and I was one level below him. -Expect a directionless and senseless reorg every time they hire a new executive on the IT side. This is because their current executives hire their kind and all this kind knows is umm nothing. So in order to justify their hiring, they attempt to show how smart they are and how they are trying to fix things by conducting a reorg. Every time they do, expect them to not bother asking you about your career objectives or even looking at your resume or asking where they will dump you. They will change your title and throw you in a place where there is absolutely no chance of progression. They just went through one and basically merged several titles and totally destroyed people's resumes. Several of my former peers have called me and are crying right now. -The pay is terrible as compared to the market. Why? Although they will hire you regardless of where you are located, they will pay you according to the TN or ME market. So you could be living in NY City and have a director level title, but you will get paid what a Systems Administrator would in NY market. Cost of living etc. don't mean anything to them so don't expect a cost of living adjustment raises. I was with the company for 6 years. My TOTAL raise over 6 years was 1500 dollars. -After 6 years at the company, i finally resigned. I rate companies based on a three level scale: Good companies, Wannabe companies and bad companies. This is a classic wannabe company and barely above a bad company. They want to play that we are an excellent place to work, but in reality its drama with little substance. For example, they promote a 2 week training time, but i have not seen anybody who has ever done two weeks training. -Their performance measurements are a joke and they use a classic bell curve system. Managers are forced to rank X number of employees in A percentile, Y number in B percentile and the leftovers in bottom percentiles regardless of how you actually perform. One of my managers actually quit because he could not force himself to beat up his team to fit the scale. -The business as a whole is somewhat stable and in recovery mode but its still all about cost cutting. Don't believe me? their most recent "future ready" IT strategy meant only one thing: cost cutting...I actually asked them if that was the only objective just to be sure. The answer was yes.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what to suggest to them because they are part of the problem. What this place needs is a major shakeup beginning from the top. There is only two ways thats going to happen. Either A, there will be another IT disaster and some business leader is going to put his foot down and do a overhaul level wipeout of the IT leadership or B, they will hire a senior IT leader by mistake who will not buy into the coolaid system.

Always wondering about your job

Former Employee - Systems Consultant II in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant II in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay Good Benefits Smart, very dedicated employees Low morale

Cons

Continually doing re-orgs. Apparently they can never get it right. Always worrying about job elimination Very top heavy. Too many AVP's/VP's

Customer Service

I worked at Unum Group full-time

Pros

Benefits, Vacation, Events, Atmosphere, Environment

Cons

Advancement in career, Management, fair opportunities, additional training

Advice to Management

Give every employee equal opportunity.

RSS Feed </> Embed