Unum Group Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
161 reviews filtered by

Good company to begin your career with!

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Benefits.... it's all in the benefits - generous paid time off (PTO), health / dental / vision insurance, and do not forget the short- and long-term disability benefits!

Cons

It is a challenge to move up from an entry level position. Many people need coaching and practicing to be able to successfully navigate the interview process.

2. Benefit Center Admin.II

Former Employee - Benefit Center Administrative II in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Benefit Center Administrative II in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, process improvement opportunities, training, certifications through company, good corporate environment

Cons

some bad managers throughout my years there

I'm a huge fan...and for good reason.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked with Unum almost 8 years in 2 different depts. and several different roles. I love it here and (as of today) hope to be a lifer. There is an excellent culture, community involvement, encouragement to volunteer, focus on personal development, outstanding benefits, focus on continuous improvement, and we provide an excellent product.

I started at the very bottom as a call center rep and have worked my way into management in an operational area. I was given opportunities to prove myself, received valuable input and feedback to assist in my development, and rewarded for doing a good job.

As with anywhere, there are always those with a grass-is-greener mentality. There are always complainers (I've seen some of them here), but they would complain no matter what company they work for. We see many of them leave Unum, only to return months or years later when they realize how good Unum actually is.

I'm sure I sound like a company fanboy...and I am. But it's only because of how good the company has been to me.

Cons

Too conservative in business strategy, need to take more calculated risks and act faster on them. While I don't want to see a swing too far in the opposite direction, in a fast-paced world Unum often takes too long to bring a new product or service to market. Need to be more proactive rather than reactive to the market.

Not for everyone

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Compensation and benefits, coworkers, senior managements super supportive

Cons

Corporate cubicle environment, have to be willing to micromanage staff and performance manage for minute infractions

6. Adjuster

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Great pay on most occasions

Cons

Low Pay after bonus as well

Advice to Management

Nothing

7. Great entry level opportunities, lack internal growth and succession

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Benefits, vacation time, executive management

Cons

lack of opportunities, succession, lack respect to loyalty

As your years of experience and age increase, be careful and mindful of the purge(s)....

Former Employee - Operations in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Operations in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked over 30+ years in two separate departments. My job/position was eliminated in both departments. I went through the Unum/Provident merge and the subsequent purge. Before the merge it wasn't uncommon to see employees with 40+ years of service. Afterwards 35+ was rare. Later on and subsequent purges brought down the likelihood of finding someone with 30+ years of service rare. Eventually, my number came up. I laugh at the reviews of those stating they will be "lifers" who have only been there a few years, as I was also, but got kicked out not once but twice in two separate departments. You are an "employee at will" and they can get rid of you for NO reason at all..
    It is VERY rare to see someone "retire" there now. I personally witnessed 100's of position eliminations throughout my 30+ years of employment. Unum, like all big employers, are known to go through layoffs and to get rid of those who are costing them the most. As your years of service increase and you climb the ladder you start costing them more on the bottom line. The target on your back gets bigger and bigger. Loyalty goes out the window as one dodges position eliminations and employer disloyalty. The only way to stay ahead is the "revolving door approach" learn what you can and get out before you get to old and they kick you out.
    I was fortunate enough to learn not only one but two trades, get my bachelors and associates degree, and climb the ladder in not only one but two different departments. I showed that I could retool and relearn as my years of service increased and that I was very dependable and teachable but obviously Unum did not like these traits.

Cons

If you are 40+ years of age and make a good salary and have over 15+ years of service be very careful on Mondays and Fridays. Keep your work history and what projects you've worked on up to date and handy for future employment opportunities as if you get the ax you will be escorted out on a moments notice...This may sound paranoid but I personally witnessed several position eliminations/I.E. escorts out of the building and of course they were not ready and left proof of projects and work history behind.

Advice to Management

The days of the "customer" being the "focus" is gone. Now its the "boss" and share holders that are the focus and keeping them happy. Until they go back to what it use to be "customer driven" and experience is utilized and appreciated Unum's name in the marketplace will continue to go down as is currently being witnessed especially in Worcester and Portland.

9. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Lead Records Tech in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Lead Records Tech in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helps you to further education.

Cons

I really don't have anything to say against this company

10. marketing consultant

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule. good benefits and pay.

Cons

not a lot of growth opportunity in the sales office. very political.

11. Client Data Specialist

Current Intern - Client Data Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Intern - Client Data Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Although my team has not benefited from it as much as other areas, they really try to provide opportunities for development and encourage matriculation to other positions as interests change. Everyone at the company is very friendly and willing to help if they can.

Cons

They work environment can be stifling if you're looking for life outside of a grey cube. The buildings themselves public areas are nice, but the work areas need to be updated.

Unum Group Photos