Unum Group Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Good benefits, Bad bosses

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Nice cafe. Good salary.

Cons

Terrible management. Awful people to work for.

Advice to Management

Fire all your senior execs and start fresh.

Always wondering about your job

Former Employee - Systems Consultant II in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant II in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay Good Benefits Smart, very dedicated employees Low morale

Cons

Continually doing re-orgs. Apparently they can never get it right. Always worrying about job elimination Very top heavy. Too many AVP's/VP's

The atmosphere is boring but the people are friendly.

I have been working at Unum Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a laid back type of job where there aren't people over your back constantly to make sure you accomplish your task.

Cons

It gets very body bery quickly due to monotonous and repetitive work

Advice to Management

Management was great

Employee-minded HR, excellent corporate culture - High integrity

Current Employee - Financial Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits the company provides are next-to unbeatable. The company goes to great expense to offer their employees some of the best options. Some of the benefits include: On-site locker rooms & exercise facility Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance at relatively low-cost to employees Free STD & LTD insurance $50k GTL for employees Free parking VERY generous PTO policy (4 weeks, starting out) High focus on work-life balance with opportunities for WAH (Work at home) corporate policy to match employee gifts to non-profit charities Strong focus on recycling (each cube has its own recycling bin) Open-Door policy is strongly encouraged, complete with a 3rd-party hotline for reporting questionable treatment and/or behavior Professional Keurig machines in each breakroom Flexible work hours (depending on which department you're in) Well-established and functional performance measurement tools Each year the company sends approximately 300 of their top-performing employees to Disney World for free Great incentive program (employees can recommend rewards for fellow employees for great work and/or teamwork) Strong emphasis on team-work (to the point that sometimes, interaction with your teammates ranks at or above on your performance review than your actual work quality) Strong encouragement to develop yourself, both professionally and personally

Cons

Career path can sometimes be difficult for advancement Likes to re-organize Layoffs every couple years

Career Killer

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-They promote work from home (to save facilities costs) and have employees technology scattered around the entire country(US) -PTO is generous

Cons

Please note that I worked in the IT organization so my review is based on my experience work in their IT organization -Riddled with politics and if you are an individual who values making a difference, they will beat you down to their level...which is: keep the light bulb on and keep singing praises of your managers. -They promote work from home and will even force employees to work from home to save facilities costs. You might think thats a positive but work from home will kill your career progression. I was outright told that in order to be promoted, I have to be in Chattanooga or Portland. -Your hard work simply does not matter for promotions. What matters is who you know. For example, i beat out their best technologist in the market for a role we both pursued. This is a guy who was promoted ahead of me on the basis that he was more qualified than i was. I still beat him after his promotion for a role in the market much senior than both our roles (AVP/VP Level) even though he had a director level position and I was one level below him. -Expect a directionless and senseless reorg every time they hire a new executive on the IT side. This is because their current executives hire their kind and all this kind knows is umm nothing. So in order to justify their hiring, they attempt to show how smart they are and how they are trying to fix things by conducting a reorg. Every time they do, expect them to not bother asking you about your career objectives or even looking at your resume or asking where they will dump you. They will change your title and throw you in a place where there is absolutely no chance of progression. They just went through one and basically merged several titles and totally destroyed people's resumes. Several of my former peers have called me and are crying right now. -The pay is terrible as compared to the market. Why? Although they will hire you regardless of where you are located, they will pay you according to the TN or ME market. So you could be living in NY City and have a director level title, but you will get paid what a Systems Administrator would in NY market. Cost of living etc. don't mean anything to them so don't expect a cost of living adjustment raises. I was with the company for 6 years. My TOTAL raise over 6 years was 1500 dollars. -After 6 years at the company, i finally resigned. I rate companies based on a three level scale: Good companies, Wannabe companies and bad companies. This is a classic wannabe company and barely above a bad company. They want to play that we are an excellent place to work, but in reality its drama with little substance. For example, they promote a 2 week training time, but i have not seen anybody who has ever done two weeks training. -Their performance measurements are a joke and they use a classic bell curve system. Managers are forced to rank X number of employees in A percentile, Y number in B percentile and the leftovers in bottom percentiles regardless of how you actually perform. One of my managers actually quit because he could not force himself to beat up his team to fit the scale. -The business as a whole is somewhat stable and in recovery mode but its still all about cost cutting. Don't believe me? their most recent "future ready" IT strategy meant only one thing: cost cutting...I actually asked them if that was the only objective just to be sure. The answer was yes.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what to suggest to them because they are part of the problem. What this place needs is a major shakeup beginning from the top. There is only two ways thats going to happen. Either A, there will be another IT disaster and some business leader is going to put his foot down and do a overhaul level wipeout of the IT leadership or B, they will hire a senior IT leader by mistake who will not buy into the coolaid system.

Good company to begin your career with!

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Benefits.... it's all in the benefits - generous paid time off (PTO), health / dental / vision insurance, and do not forget the short- and long-term disability benefits!

Cons

It is a challenge to move up from an entry level position. Many people need coaching and practicing to be able to successfully navigate the interview process.

8. Benefit Center Admin.II

Former Employee - Benefit Center Administrative II in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Benefit Center Administrative II in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, process improvement opportunities, training, certifications through company, good corporate environment

Cons

some bad managers throughout my years there

I'm a huge fan...and for good reason.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked with Unum almost 8 years in 2 different depts. and several different roles. I love it here and (as of today) hope to be a lifer. There is an excellent culture, community involvement, encouragement to volunteer, focus on personal development, outstanding benefits, focus on continuous improvement, and we provide an excellent product. I started at the very bottom as a call center rep and have worked my way into management in an operational area. I was given opportunities to prove myself, received valuable input and feedback to assist in my development, and rewarded for doing a good job. As with anywhere, there are always those with a grass-is-greener mentality. There are always complainers (I've seen some of them here), but they would complain no matter what company they work for. We see many of them leave Unum, only to return months or years later when they realize how good Unum actually is. I'm sure I sound like a company fanboy...and I am. But it's only because of how good the company has been to me.

Cons

Too conservative in business strategy, need to take more calculated risks and act faster on them. While I don't want to see a swing too far in the opposite direction, in a fast-paced world Unum often takes too long to bring a new product or service to market. Need to be more proactive rather than reactive to the market.

Not for everyone

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Compensation and benefits, coworkers, senior managements super supportive

Cons

Corporate cubicle environment, have to be willing to micromanage staff and performance manage for minute infractions

11. Adjuster

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Great pay on most occasions

Cons

Low Pay after bonus as well

Advice to Management

Nothing

RSS Feed </> Embed