Unum Group

Updated December 4, 2014
3.7

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Unum stresses a great work-life balance and backs it up by offering a generous amount of vacation time (in 14 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff (in 6 reviews)

• big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Client Service Manager

Former Employee - Director, Client Management
    Former Employee - Director, Client Management

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefit package, lot of tenure in departments other than sales.

Cons

Outdated technology, sales office very segregated (sales vs admin) , inexperienced management, way too much favoritism and bias.

Update technology. Really be honest about the run away power sales managers have. Change sales interview process, too many decision makers.

Excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - Lead Disability Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Disability Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and management was open to my suggestions.

Cons

Job could be very stressful.

Continue to listen to your employees. There are a lot of great ideas out there.

Career opportunities are limited and senior management is out of touch.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Work/Life Balance.

Cons

No room for growth! Limited career opportunities in Glendale. Senior management is out of touch.

Listen to your people

Unum Group is a good stable organization

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leader in industry with a national presence

Cons

Sales offices have limited career advancement opportunities within the organization

Awesome Company. I love working for this company

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Very good management and very professional

Cons

None. Dont have any complaints.

None

Stable job security with room to grow

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From what I've witnessed first hand and second hand, this company is better than most when it comes to weighing pros and cons. The benefits are good. Medical, dental, vision, etc. and 401K match up to 5%. The company generally cares about its customers and the employees first behind making a profit. There are opportunities to rise within the company and they make walk-ins feel empowered in upward mobility. People can work from home. You get a decent amount of PTO days from the start. Unum is a big contributor in the community at large, giving to charities, partnering with education, internships, tuition reimbursement, & drives of every kind. The people here also, mostly, get along. We have a lot of smart, talented individuals and the company makes employees do a lot to live the brand - essentially setting the bar really high and measuring every inch to ensure we can strive to such standards. On top of this Unum also offers a decent incentive bonus every year, an above average fitness facility, group clubs, shopping discounts, and other wellness programs. In the end, would I recommend this place to a friend, absolutely.

Cons

Company culture is mostly conservative, read not a lot of young people, or only in certain departments. The daily work is not very cool. Sales people are treated like hotshots on account of they generate $$$ for us. Some job roles can be very time consuming. You might be the only one of your team not in the same physical home office. Cubicles everywhere. Gym memberships and classes are grossly too expensive. Technology in general, right down to the generic computers given to us, the outdated browsers we're forced to use, and the systems that run this company are lackluster, and behind the pace of our competitors. We have a real shortage of technology innovation from the top down.

Read employee complaints and adjust please.

Good benefits but lots of office politics

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and PTO. Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off. Good place to start your career.

Cons

Management plays favorites. If you are not part of the "in crowd" you will know it.

Unrealistic expectations with respect to work load. Working atmosphere is punitive.

Former Employee - Clinical Consultant in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Consultant in Glendale, CA

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO, health insurance and retirement options are decent.

Cons

Department managers are highly critical and offer little praise for a job well done. On an almost daily basis it is and was impossible to take breaks or a full lunch hour due to the unrealistic work load. My manager who has since been demoted operated from the CYA point of view and would throw anyone under the bus to save his skin.

Unum has a low morale problem due to management's poor attitude. Work on supporting your team members, teaching where needed, and show appreciation for the hard work which is done on a daily basis.

Great, conservative company

Current Employee - Process Analyst in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Process Analyst in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of paid time off, good culture, opportunities for advancement for creative and driven employees, a budding movement toward openness and more modern workspaces, and superior work/life balance opportunities (work from home and alternative schedules)

Cons

Behind much of the industry technologically (way too many applications), redundant processes, hit-or-miss leadership with little accountability for devastating errors in many departments.

Continue to pursue making Unum the technology leader in the disability industry, focus attention on accountability and meaningful coaching for leadership--both new and old--as much as you've focused on coaching for individual contributors, review ongoing projects and initiatives holistically to reduce redundancy--it will save you money!

FMLA LEAVE SPECIALIST

Current Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed working for the company as they invest in employees and believes in promoting within. The work dress standards are business casual and I did not experience micromanagement. Employees were given the freedom to complete tasks responsibly and on time.

Cons

I have no cons to report at this time.

We're very open to new ideas and implemented an open-door policy for all.

Unum Group Photos

Unum Building, Chattanooga (Photo thanks to Flickr user Larry Miller, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Side of Unum building and part of parking lot during the snow storm we had a few weeks back. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Always, Erika with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo