Uplift Education

Uplift Education Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place to have an impact on urban education.

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

ProsUplift is constantly taking teacher feedback and finding ways to implement it into their schools. There are weekly opportunities for professional development and observation/feedback meetings in order to facilitate individual professional growth.

ConsThere any many expectations outside of the responsibilities as a teacher, which takes away time from students and from your personal life.

Great teachers, controlling management

Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Uplift Education full-time for more than a year

ProsThe students are curious and eager to learn.
The teachers are great and helpful. Great team atmosphere.

ConsManagement was controlling- they control teachers and tell them how to discipline students.
Time offs were hard.
Only the management pets seem to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair and reward people on their skill set not on how much they suck up to you.

The pay is great, but it's about arbitrary goals and not the scholars.

Road to College Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Uplift Education full-time

ProsThe pay is great for certain positions. They have a wellness day for all employees once a month which is a half day of work and then time to do whatever you need to do off campus for the rest of the day. On campus staff are extremely hard working and supportive of each other and the scholars.

ConsUplift sets arbitrary goals for employees to meet that aren't about the scholars, but to allow them to get more private funding. For example, the networks' Road to College Program at the High School level likes to say 100% of their students were accepted to a 4-year College/University, but they have agreements with schools that accept all Uplift students just by virtue of being an Uplift student, not based on merit. This is important because if the network is as "successful" as it claims to be, such admittance agreements wouldn't be needed because the students would be accepted on their own merit (educationally, socially, civics, etc.). I could go on and on, but my last point will be that parents have more influence than they should because campuses need the bodies to get the state funding. Families that do not follow the rules are allowed to keep their students there without penalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes men are not the answer to a strong staff. Education should be about all of the scholars, not just the best and brightest. As a public school, it should be understood that all students will not function on the same academic level, thus placing SpEd. and other students in AP level courses is not doing those students a service, it just gives you bragging rights. When people start looking at the college persistence rate and recognize that Uplift is not doing any better than the comprehensive schools, funders will start looking more closely at the claims and numbers Uplift likes to brag about. Lastly, top heavy management from big name schools is not indicative of strong leadership or innovation.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No direction and blames employees

Contractor (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Uplift Education as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPaid holidays and Holiday breaks

ConsNo direction from management. Its a popularity contest. More work than any one person can handle and no consideration from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are growing fast. It's time to stop and look at who is directing the bus, some of your departments are going to crash.

Not very caring of the individual employee.

Irving, TX

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUplift offers many opportunities to grow and move within the organization as an employee if you want to grow in your career.

ConsUplift expects too much from any one employee and continually adds to the work load of each without offering any additional help.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to observe more closely how each school interacts with each other in terms of working together as a collaborative group as opposed to being a bunch of close knit segregated cliques.

great company

Janator (Current Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Uplift Education part-time for more than 5 years

Prospayday when I got piad

Consnonethis a good company to work

Advice to Senior Managementgreat

Over Hyped Mediocre Organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Uplift Education

ProsVacations, holidays spring and fall breaks

ConsDismal pay, Atrocious mgmt, HR is a joke

Advice to Senior ManagementResign, and bring in fresh blood.

Charter schools are good but have room for improvement.

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time for more than a year

ProsUplift is constantly trying to get better. There is a culture of high expectations for scholars and professionals. Scholar behavior is generally quite good. The small schools tend to have good faculty friendships and manageable class sizes.

ConsExcessive teacher expectations. Parent feedback is too influential. Teachers are overworked and under paid. The network is growing faster than they can staff their schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your teachers more especially if you're having them do SO MUCH! Slow your growth until you figure out how to make your teachers and families happy and your schools work well.

Good school and great staff. High turnover.

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time for more than a year

ProsTeachers are wonderful people and passionate about their jobs. The school itself is great and is doing a fairly good job with the students that are there. The new facility is wonderful and the school culture is beginning to be developed. The new principals I believe will do an terrific job in the future.

ConsStaff turnover is high. Uplift management is un-supportive and not well organized. The schools are staffed with young teachers, many from Teach for America, who are teaching right out of college and only plan on teaching a few years. There are not many older established teachers that provide stability to a school. Even the administration is young and only has a few of teaching experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization and supportive management would help. Retention of employees and more established staff.

Exhausting, stay away

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of coaching and feedback

ConsLess pay than public school counterparts (starting salary is $42,000 compared to DISD counterparts, the insurance and benefits package is also pretty terrible)

Extremely high turnover. A recent survey I took from Uplift asked, "How many years have you been teaching in Uplift? 1 Year, 2 Years, OR 3 years +" Just to give you an idea of how bad the situation is. Most teachers leave after 1 or 2 years. Talking to other teachers, most in Uplift want out badly.

Super demanding

Overly structured

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support to teachers. Coaching is great, but demand less of us. Be more helpful with unruly students.

Worked for Uplift Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uplift Education reviews and ratings. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Uplift Education employees.