Uponor Reviews

Reset
2.6
Uponor Deputy CEO and CFO Jyri Luomakoski
Jyri Luomakoski

Good company for flexibility, and conitnuing education. Lack in growth.

I have been working at Uponor full-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling depending on the department. Overall benefit package superior to most companies this size including good vacation time for employees at company longer. Work-life balance good again depending on the manager, but Uponor boasts to be a family oriented company.

Cons

Mid-level managers tend to micro-manage with little consistency on performance objectives. Pay is on the very low end of the scale, with little opportunity for advancement. Although it is encouraged to generate individual performance plans, it is difficult to maintain these without upper level support.

Advice to Management

Decrease micro-managing to decrease the inconsistency.

2. How long before the Cons outweigh the Pros?

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Uponor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation and benefits. 12 hour shifts with 4 days on 4 days off can be great if you are not being overworked. New building being built in apple valley includes solar and greywater systems that will make it LEED Silver certified.

Cons

Management has no idea whats going on down on the factory floor, after banning headphones for safety/productivity reason (the only serious accident since I've worked here involved an office worker not wearing headphones and we have done record numbers in production since I started 2+ years ago) they have also banned the watching of news in the break room due to the controversial riots in Baltimore. As a result moral is at an all time low and anyone with the ability to leave either already has or is planing a move in the near future. After taking a system of production that worked well for a very long time and breaking that job in to 3 separate jobs we are now producing the same amounts as before but using more people to do it. They also rotate you through all 3 jobs so you never know what you will be doing on a given week. All pride in ones work is gone due to very low moral, people are disengaged and unhappy at work and the product suffers as a result. No room for advancement, a lot of internal job postings already have people in mind or are given out based on nepotism. I'm not saying I'm a genius or anything but I feel like I have more skills to offer the company then what I currently do. I have found almost no traction when applying for different positions and have been actively discouraged from applying to others. Wages do not keep up with cost of living/inflation despite record profits. The minimum wage in Minnesota will go to $9/hr starting this August up from $6.15/hr when I started at Uponor. Despite being a hard worker and scoring well on my annual reviews my raises are in the 1.5%-3% range despite a net sales increase of 26% and operating profit increase of 10% for the whole company with North America's figures being even higher. Pretty hard to swallow a small raise when they are building a new $18 million building right next door.

Advice to Management

Get serious about Lean management and stop paying lip service to it. Don't assume your workers are lazy and remember that a happy worker is a hard working one. Stop forcing through changes at the drop of a hat without letting people know whats going on. (Nothing like coming in on a Sunday to find all the tool racks removed in preparation for a new system of handing them out that doesn't start until the next day. Why can't we start the new system today if the tools racks are removed? Just because, now shut up and get back to work.) So many times a new process is sprung on middle management at the last second and they are hung out to dry when things don't go well. Have a way to communicate with HR and/or upper management, after redoing all the key card readers factory workers are no longer allowed in the office/HR areas so we have no way of talking to anyone in HR except through our direct supervisor. This job has changed a lot in the 2+ years I have been here, I'm not opposed to change but it should make things better not worse. I think a lot of this trouble stems from expanding at an accelerated rate without a clear vision of what made the company successful in the past.

This company has lost its heart and soul.

I have been working at Uponor full-time

Pros

Used to be a great place to work, I used to look forward to coming into work everyday.

Cons

Feels like a prison, and employee moral is terrible. Senior management is clueless to problems and working conditions get substantially worse every year. We rarely ever get breaks, and normally work 12hrs straight. Work load is out of control and raises have not kept up with cost of living. None of the employees take pride in their work, it's just a job not a career.

Advice to Management

Work on moral and communication. Raises and promotions should be based on merit. Senior management needs to start being more open and honest.

5. Underwhelming to say the least.

I worked at Uponor full-time

Pros

Marketing team in Canada very strong.

Cons

Canadian talent are not leveraged. Leadership team leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk and look beyond just straight sales.

Uponor a huge disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Uponor

Pros

Immediate manager is truly amazing. A real mentor.

Cons

Senior Management in the U.S. and the senior manager in Canada are completely inept. They do not practice what they preach and focus on short-term wins vs. long-term growth.

Advice to Management

The Senior Management Committee and the senior person in Canada need to look beyond the current week and concentrate on really advancing the organization, rather than just keeping their jobs.

7. Uponor Russia management is quite weak

Former Employee - Head of Marketing Department in Moscow (Russia)
    Former Employee - Head of Marketing Department in Moscow (Russia)

I worked at Uponor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In comparison with Russian companies of the same size not bad social package and salary is allways paid on time. In some departments work is fine

Cons

In Moscow location is bad- far from metro and near railroads, low level sales staff, salaries are below the market, soviet corporate culture, poor communication between sales dept and others, often useless and even distructive back and forward changes in corporate structure. No high-profile managers who can be a teacher for young professionals and managers.

Advice to Management

Russia is Edem for European companies because of many economy reasons, and Russian office is deserved stronger management team. Low level management team can't manage high-profile staff.

8. Invaluable experience

I worked at Uponor (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent staff, products and vision. The Uponor brand is leading the way in sustainable use of construction materials. TABS buildings have to be the future for office design and flexibility.

Cons

limited market opportunities in recession

Advice to Management

Longer term view in the UK in necessary

9. Change is the one constant

I worked at Uponor full-time

Pros

-Proactive environment that is family oreiented that values education and tries to maintain work/life balance. -Management stays up to date on current market trends and recognized the value of technology. They leverage the resources within boundaries of the organization and understand when help is needed.

Cons

-Career advancement is very limited within the organization. -Compensation is not up to par with market. -Management sometimes gets blindsided by the short-term decisions made within the organization.

10. Very instable, high personel turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens (Greece)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens (Greece)

I worked at Uponor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, reasonable efforts to save and improve.

Cons

High personel turnover; an unsure feeling on the future.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees. Improve the climate.

11. Warn your friends: Uponor harasses former employees

Former Employee - Corporate R&D and Systems Manager Controls in Upplands-Väsby (Sweden)

I worked at Uponor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As long as I was working at Uponor I was very pleased and everyone seemed to appreciate my work. I left to start my own business in Finance, it could hardly be considered a threat to Uponor which is in the sewage plastic pipe business. I even made one of the Uponor directors business partner in my company, and it wasn't until after I removed him from my board that Uponor started screw me, so that's good.

Cons

Since I gave notice Uponor has removed my name from several international patents, ignored to pay any innovation rewards, and even refused to provide me with a certification of employment documenting my position and work. Thus, Uponor has violated both international patent laws and Swedish employment laws, but they don't seem very concerned. E.g. the Swedish CEO recently commented the missing certification of employment by writing that I should consider it sufficient to have good recommendations on LinkedIn... You and your friends are welcome to connect to me to show your support! anders.widgren@home.se

Advice to Management

As one wise man once commented "When a company starts to screw its own people it is too late for good advice.

RSS Feed </> Embed