www.madebyuppercut.com
Profile Unclaimed

Uppercut Reviews

4.9

Don Wieshlow

Amazing invaluable internship experience!

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Uppercut as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Joining the Uppercut team felt more like joining a family then a workplace. I can't say enough about this amazing collaborative team! Their business model is so unique and exciting in that they not only work on external branding, marketing and e-commerce projects but they're constantly coming up with innovative ideas and projects of their own.

I worked as an intern alongside Joe Mak (E-Commerce), and I have to say he was one of the best teachers I've ever had- he really takes the time to teach you the ins and outs of marketing, and the tips and tricks he has learnt along the way.

The management and human resources team at the office are another perk! They literally do everything they can to make you feel welcomed and comfortable. Whether it was continually checking-in to see how I was doing, scheduling meetings to discuss how projects were going or the awesome themed pot-lucks and lunch outings!

The location of Uppercut is great-located almost right on Kensington road there are tons of people just out and about enjoying the awesome restaurants, and unique shops (there is even a Cupcake place called Crave!)

Cons

I really can't say one bad thing about Uppercut! Like I said they are unique in that they work on in-house and out-of house projects-keeping things fresh, exciting and innovative.

Wildly Creative and Wonderful

Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Uppercut full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Uppercut was wonderful place to work with lots of lovely people with wildly creative minds. As an intern, I was given a lot of opportunity to gain an understanding of the business and worked on a number of exciting and relevant projects. Working at Uppercut was an amazing experience and I was very lucky to be given the chance to work there for the summer.

Cons

As Uppercut is still growing and hasn’t been around for a long time there is inevitably some challenges that come along with that, but it looks like there very little holding them back and I see great things for this company in the future.

Fantastic Design and Tons of Creativity

Former Intern - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Uppercut as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and the location is great. Support and exposure are provided for really fantastic ideas, without regard to the job title of the person providing them. Did I mention that the people are really friendly and the location is great? Oh, and the people are really creative too.

Cons

It is a bit bipolar–there are some really fantastic ideas that become great successes, and then there are times in between great ideas. The times in between the really great ideas can be a bit difficult, but everybody still manages to put out great work.

Summer Internship

Former Contractor - Software Developer Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Software Developer Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Uppercut as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, with very smart, amicable, and welcoming people. Awesome location, cool projects & all around fun place to be.

Cons

Bascially the same thing as other people have mentioned, the company is new, and is developing the structure of the company so things can change pretty quickly!

A little more rigidity, specifically with interns may be appropriate, enforcing uniform coding standards & managing expectations would help the interns grow to fit the team.

Uppercut

Current Employee - Director in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Uppercut full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to join a diversely talented team with a history of building successful and creative e-commerce companies. Friendly work culture that values opinions and conversation. Nice location in Kensington just a few steps from cafes, restaurants.

Cons

Fluidity of a young company may not appeal to all personalities but people with an entrepreneurial spirit will enjoy blazing a trail.

Great people, challenging work

I have been working at Uppercut full-time

Pros

The people are among the most talented I've ever worked with. There's an openness and willingness to try new things and push ourselves that makes work interesting, challenging and a lot of fun.

Cons

Processes, and structure are adapting and changing on a regular basis, which is great because the changes are designed to make the company better. But that also means people have to be patient and flexible.

Good People. Good work.

Current Employee - Art Director in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Art Director in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Uppercut full-time (less than a year)

Pros

An exciting startup opportunity that respects a healthy work / life balance - this is unique and my fav part of working here....well...I lie, the people here are great and I wouldn't have done it if not for them.

Cons

Like most startups I think it can be a bit messy at times, but you can speak freely and be heard on whatever you'd like to be heard on.

Great people with a long history of success

Current Employee - Writer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Writer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Uppercut full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked with this team for most of a decade (at Veer and then, post-sale, Corbis) and the opportunities to thrive and succeed are seemingly never-ending. For creatives, developers, and the business-minded, there's no more exciting place to be, in Calgary, than at this new venture.

Cons

It's a new business, so there are naturally some trepidations and pressure to deliver results — nothing that upsets the work/life balance though.

Innovative, energetic team; great work environment

I have been working at Uppercut full-time

Pros

Team environment, encourages innovation and creativity

Cons

Definately requires that employees develop, grow and particiapte; complacency is not part of the culture

Uppercut Photos