Upwork Reviews

Upwork CEO Stephane Kasriel
Stephane Kasriel

1. Not bad

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Work from home whenever or wherever, so that's nice and the pay is negotiable

Cons

There is a bit of competiting and there a lot of people who are willing do work for much lower than you

Advice to Management

section jobs off from country to country to limit the amount of low ball offers someone gets from across the world

2. Upwork is in Upheaval

Current Employee - Compliance Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Compliance Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a growing company that has great potential.

Cons

The merger with Elance and oDesk (now Upwork) has caused continual confusion in policies, procedures and standards. The company seems to be growing faster than management can make decisions. There is not enough forethought about how small changes have large impacts that the company, employees and the users will be suffering through for years.

Advice to Management

The team leads are currently busy plugging holes and policy is suffering. Outsourcing vital parts of the company where turnover is high due to unskilled workers will continue to create a climate of confusion and mistrust.

3. Android Developer

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Self managment, you choose what you want to do

Cons

hard to find projects at the begining

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, free food, good compensation, great CEO. Work at home on Wednesdays. Work is interesting and future looks good. Two offices: Mountain View and San Francisco (and lots of remote employees and contractors). Also, for those people posting reviews to Glassdoor and that use Upwork to find contract jobs, you aren't an Upwork employee! That is like saying you found a contract job in the San Jose Mercury News and you don't like working for the San Jose Mercury News.

Cons

Missing some of the perks of larger companies like a gym but so what. You're at a small/medium size company!

6. Constantly seeking to improve

Pros

The best part of the company is that it is constantly trying to improve. Whether it's the product or the actual work-place, they are trying everyday to make things better for it's employees and the Freelancers and Clients that use the site. Upwork isn't afraid to take chances and is great about hiring individuals with diverse backgrounds and experience to fill roles that may be unconventional. Extremely flexible with working from home/remote.

Cons

The benefits could be better...no 401k matching, perks like other big companies.

Advice to Management

To be competitive with the other tech companies we need to offer some basics top talent expects here. 401k matching, cover commute costs, family leave, PTO, gyms, off-sites etc.

7. Designer

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm an onsite, full time employee and I love my job. My director is fantastic, and I work with a top-notch team of talented, caring, and committed designers. In fact, most everyone I've worked with cross-functionally has been exceedingly good at what they do and just as passionate about it. The company's positive mission and role in the future of work is a galvanizing force that attracts forward-thinking, talented individuals that work well together. As an individual, I find my work on the whole to be very engaging and satisfying. I appreciate that my team is both collaborative and self-reliant, invites discussion/hashing out of different viewpoints and that I'm given ample opportunity for new growth and the freedom to tackle new challenges or try new approaches. As a company, we've recently re-branded and you can feel the positive transformation throughout our product, workspace, and culture. It's an exciting time to be working at the company. Of course, there are things that could be improved and everything isn't awesome all the time. But, when a process isn't working or something breaks, anyone can speak up, be heard and help with the solution. I feel proud to be part of such a great team.

Cons

For my job, team and department, I have no real cons.

8. A balanced approach, with a purpose.

I have been working at Upwork full-time

Pros

The company has a solid purpose, which keeps the interest and motivation levels up Decision making is rational and transparent Company is growing at a decent clip Goals are sensible, reasonable and achievable

Cons

It's a tweener company. No start-up cowboy stuff, but no big company support structure too. Huge portion of the company are freelancers (eating their own dog food), but coordination is challenging. Adjustment for people who come from hyper-intense work environment

Advice to Management

Stay the course on the strategy and continue to have a leading position in marketshare.

9. Great Company

I have been working at Upwork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People genuinely care about the mission, the international focus and the changing nature of work. Good amount of flexibility around hours, ability to work in different offices, very social and flat culture.

Cons

The product is sometimes buggy, resulting in issues for freelancers. Large marketplace means there are some bad actors on both the client and freelancer side that are difficult to address in a fair and consistent way.

Advice to Management

Focus on making a beautiful, intuitive / easy to use product.

10. Great culture with growing pains

Current Employee - California in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - California in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant cause: global access to work opportunities and to talent Awesome culture: still in the start-up thinking and execution style, relatively agile and lean Good management: metrics driven, structured goals, plans and strategies Work life balance: very considerate management, work from home, etc.

Cons

Growing pains: people are more protective of their area, new initiatives require more coordination with various stakeholders, new hires are the majority and hence maintaining culture is proving to be tricky

Advice to Management

Better compensation such as 401k matching, food, PTO, maternal / paternal leave

11. Great work-life balance. Work with purpose.

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance with flexible hours. We help people around the globe earn a living, so that they can support themselves, and their families. It feels good knowing that you work for a company with an honorable purpose.

Cons

In order to get a raise or promotion you have to fight for it versus being recognized and rewarded for your efforts. It's disheartening when you work so hard, and put in so much to not be given the reward deserved, but instead will only get something if you have to continuously fight for it.

Advice to Management

Reward top talent when it's deserved versus waiting for your employees to have to fight for recognition.

RSS Feed </> Embed