Urban Events Reviews

Updated May 13, 2014
Updated May 13, 2014

3.8

Jennifer Kocher

serious growth in a short amount of time!

Current Employee - Campaign Manager  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Davie, FL

I have been working at Urban Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture within the business is like none iv ever seen, i have never had a job where i walked out of a meeting genuinely happy and upbeat and that is what transcends through-out this whole business! I have been here four months and have already learned more here than i did in 4 years of college! one of the biggest pros is that whatever hard work i put in i see direct results from and i am thanked for!

Cons

starting off the intensity of growth is a shock to the system but you soon realize what you put in you get back out!

The only advice i could give would be to never loose the open door policy and openness from top to bottom as it is what keeps the culture what it is within the company.

Great opportunity to be in control of my future

Current Employee - Management Training  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Management Training in Miami, FL

I have been working at Urban Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic positive environment that not only gives you the tools to succeed but the support to make it happen quickly

Cons

Faced pace program with high standards

Keep sharing information and working with everyone to reach their goals

Awesome Company!! Great atmosphere and so much to learn. Great opportunity for advancement!

Current Employee - Event Coordinator  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Davie, FL

I have been working at Urban Events full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll learn more here in a few months than you would a few years at most universities. Great management, great leadership, excellent growth potential.

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours, but it's worth it by how quickly you can advance within the company. Also, the pay during the training is just average, but once you get promoted, the pay is great

Great company culture and training systems. I've enjoyed all the managers and mentors I have met within this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Multi-level Marketing/Pyramid Scheme!!

Former Employee - Management Trainee  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Davie, FL

I worked at Urban Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office was upbeat, everyone was pretty nice. They did teach some basic marketing strategies.
    Everyone in the company did take their job seriously.

Cons

Multi-level Marketing!!! This company is basically getting you to work for minimum wage to demo products in Sam's clubs. They say it is a management in training program and you should make a certain amount and can climb up their ladder rather quickly if you work really hard. The pay is minimum wage or commission, whichever is higher. Usually minimum wage is. You are supposed to sell random products to Sam's club members by demonstrating the products. They say that you are not "selling" the product, but simply creating brand awareness. Obviously this is not true, because your income is based on how much you sell, you are taught how to create impulse by tricking customers into buying their products. If this was simply creating brand awareness, they would not teach you tricks on how to sell products.
    This company is trying to get as many people they can to work for minimum wage to demo products, while trying to sell you this "opportunity", and you can move up the ladder, if you are capable of selling the opportunity to other naïve, un-employed people. This is the definition for Multi-level marketing or pyramid scheme.

The turnover rate is the worst I have ever seen. Four months is the longest anyone has been with this company, because most people eventually figure out what is really going on and then quit.

Do yourself a favor and Google "pyramid scheme" or "multi-level marketing" and then you will get the full picture of what this company does.

Be honest about what the job really is instead of trying to dupe unsuspecting employees. Some people do not mind Pyramid schemes. Others will be resentful that you wasted their time.

Great learning opportunity

Current Employee - Campaign Manager  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Davie, FL

I have been working at Urban Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a place with great opportunity for motivated people. Office environment is very positive and surrounds you with individuals who want you to succeed and are eager to put forth time and effort to help you get there. The company consistently challenges you to improve and become a leader by providing constant feedback and training. They equip you with many tools and tips on how to reach your goals. There is also the travel opportunities– I've been able to travel across the country!

Cons

You will have to sacrifice some time with your friends and or family because it is not a typical 9-5 job. It requires some early mornings and weekends.

A great transition into the business world

Current Employee - Junior Marketing Associate  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Marketing Associate in Davie, FL

I have been working at Urban Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started with Urban Events a few months ago while I was looking to make a career change that. Prior to this, I spent most of my time working with children and in restaurants. I had a little previous management experience from working in the food industry and was lacking the opportunities for growth and advancement two major things I found at Urban Events. The work environment I am currently surrounded by is very positive. I am constantly given feedback and challenged to improve. The best part is the training they provide on numerous aspects of the business.

Cons

The first few weeks can be difficult for some, but the training program will take care of any uncertainties. There are a few people that think that the work is too difficult and quit. It is hard work and requires more of my time and effort than I was used to, but if you want to be successful, you have to put in the work.

Continue with the open door policy and mentor-ship mindset.

Misleading and False Hope

Former Employee - Management Trainee  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Davie, FL

I worked at Urban Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

The food sample ladies at Sam’s club give you free samples.
    Some of the people that you work with are nice and the manager is a nice guy

Cons

Long hours, Standing all day, hard work, no sick days, no paid holidays. On the interview they tell you that you will be in a management training program and that within 6-9 months you will be promoted to a manager and will make at least $75k + depending on how many events you run. They bring you around to the different events they have going on in same club which are just stands with different pretty much as seen on TV products and have 2 people there standing with the products promoting them to the mindless same club members that walk by. you get the impression that you will be managing these event. you turn out to be the person standing there doing the promoting and work off commission you will always be paid at least minimum wage but may sometimes if you have an amazing day make maybe $80 which if your not solo you have to split with the person your with. you stand there all day with 4 15 minute breaks promoting these stupid products to these people who don’t want them. They will after about a few months promote you to team leader or something like that and just give you more responsibilities but still no more pay. They also don’t tell you that every one working in your office that has been hired before you needs to either quit or be promoted to manager before you and once that does happen probably about a year and a half later you can either go to one of the open cities somewhere like ohio or nevada to be a manager or wait for an office to be open in your area which who knows how long that will take.
    Multi Level Marketing is what its called.

Be honest with your interview’ees you will probably get what you are actually looking for and lower your turnover rate

Worked for Urban Events? Contribute to the Community!