Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne

Richard A. Hayne

Pros:
  • "Freedom to express yourself, virtually no dress code"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Great discount amazing co-workers and a very chill and open environment"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week)"
    in 29 reviews
  • "The on call shifts were a pain just because they put you down for not being available"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cool atmosphere, great people and discounts. On the downside low pay, no incentive and little room for growth.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe reason I've stayed at Urban is because of the awesome people you meet and the relaxed atmosphere where you can wear whatever you want. My fellow employees have become good friends and make working there tolerable. Lots of different personalities and generally the creative type who can make your day fun. Great discounts as well. By tracking merchandise and new sale items online I was able to snag so many amazing deals on items like $100 coats for $20, dresses for $10 etc. Also it was easy to request time off and take vacations, go on tour etc.

ConsAs for the downsides, the pay is low and there is little to no opportunities to get a raise. After working there a year I earned a raise of $0.25 taking me to $8 an hour and this happens each year you keep working there. Secondly, there is no real incentive for employees to better themselves in sales or work ethic. Managers try and get you excited to make your day's LY and make the company thousands, but you never see a dime of it or any reward or recognition if this is becomes a reality besides a "good job". The one time our store won a rare cash prize contest from the company for successful work, our managers said they would use the money to buy the employees something for the break room but it never happened and the money got secretly stashed away and never heard of again. Promotions are based on favoritism and though you may work hard in a department for years you could easily get bumped out of a promotion by someone else because they're closer to your store manager. Feelings get hurt and people are constantly leaving looking for new opportunities. Few hours are available each week and are based on whether or not your store is making the sales goal compared to the previous years sales. Even if you are scheduled for eight hours, if the day is slow likelihood you're going to be cut and sent home. There's been several instances where at times they'll hire a bunch of new employees, as it is everyone already is only get 15 hours a week and yet they keep hiring people rather than giving their older employees more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy giving incentive to employees it gives a better feeling of personal success and ambition to do better. Rather than simply working for the good of the company it would make the job more rewarding to actually see some sort of recognition, gift, prize for achieving personal goals.

Easy going, but I feel watched

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Sherman Oaks, CA

ProsLove the free spirited environment. Good network environment as well.

ConsFavortism. Pay isn't enough. Hours are always up and down. One particular manager gives me a hard time.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should have positive attitudes and treat their employers fairly and with respect at all times. I'm pretty offended with my pay raise not raising to the minimum value I was told, when I was told I'm such a great worker.

Bad managers and bad customers

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsGreat discount for clothes and a good environment to work in.

ConsThe managers need to step up their game and try to be more personable. It was hard working for people in a bad mood all the time and who don't care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment, bad management

Sale Associate (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsEveryone is really laid back and chill. If you talk to the right people it's pretty easy to get your shift covered if you need it. The dress code is all you but remember customers only ask you for advice if your outfit looks good.

ConsThey have issues with payroll and staff. Only 2 people get the majority hours and everyone else gets "on-call" shifts. So you'll work two days out of the week and have three to four "on-call" shifts that they won't need you to come in on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better training. There is really only one decent manager. The others kind of just float around acting like they know what they're doing and two of them spread rumors about their employees. Very unprofessional.

Disorganized, but has its perks.

Java Developer (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging work. As a Java developer, I run into "interesting scenarios" on a daily basis. A lot of the challenge is re-writing code and dealing with legacy crap, but it helps build your skill set faster. If you want to work in Spring and ATG, this is the place for you. Additionally, you aren't horse-shoed into one role. If you find you didn't make the correct choice, it's easy enough to transfer to a different team.

ConsBadly disorganized. In terms of salary -- one time I overheard a recruiter say he was going to try and low-ball a guy's salary so that they could afford to hire more people. I've also heard stories of them promising salary adjustments and then pretending it never happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with the people you are hiring... After all, they are going to be working on your eCommerce sites.

I loved working for this company.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThey gave you the freedom to really express who you are as a person.

ConsNot enough hours. It was somewhat clickish if you were new.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the people who really want to be there on board and don't hire 50 new seasonal people.

Good working experience for a store location

Specialist (Current Employee)

Pros- Good Discount
    - Very relaxed vibe
    - Product being sold is actually interesting and relevant to current fashion trends

Cons- Pay is not that great
    - Hours can fluctuate heavily
    - Depending on management, your day can go very well or very bad
    - Favortism can play a strong part in progression within the company

Advice to Senior Management- Allow more growth for an individual employee, and make sure it is being followed through.
    - Cut off dead limbs, and provide hours and pay for the people who REALLY want to be there

Potential Growth

Housewares Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsMeet a great amount of friends and potential to be a great networking environment, ability to move with in the stores, transfer across brands, ability to turn a part time retail job into a lifelong career at Home Office.

ConsMust be willing to stick it out as the interview process to land a job at Home Office can take a good amount of time before landing the position.

Amazing

ProsGreat discount. Great atmosphere. Great people

ConsExpect to work more than other retail jobs. And to stay later on late nights to close.

Good Part Time Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGenerally you're working with a lot of cool people - I've met some of my best friends at UO. It makes work really fun and forms some pretty tight bonds off the clock too. It's a pretty fast-paced environment and almost always something to do, especially in the bigger stores. Of course the discount goes without saying, but definitely a huge part of why I stick with the company. There's a lot of opportunity for advancement, as well.

ConsI feel like the store is undergoing a rebranding that doesn't necessarily reflect the culture or needs of their employees or customers - this may have just been at my store, though. Work can sometimes be grueling and require long hours - especially during % off sales and perfect closes (I've been in a store til 3 AM more than once). Sometimes you get a pretentious kid who doesn't really want to work, but they generally get cut out pretty quickly. Also I feel like when a ton of people get hired at once training can get spotty. Managers rotate in and out with a lot of frequency - can lead to a lot of confusion about standards as well as hinder promotions (one manager loves you, another doesn't, etc). Not a lot of security of hours for full-time associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees more thoroughly, make sure standards are regular throughout the company. Every time I got a new SM everything right down to how we folded changed.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Urban Outfitters CEO Richard A. Hayne. All 479 reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees.