Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne

Richard A. Hayne

Pros
  • No dress code to speak of, dog-friendly work environment, decent coffee and food on-campus (in 54 reviews)

• Great discount amazing co-workers and a very chill and open environment (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week) (in 30 reviews)

• The on call shifts were a pain just because they put you down for not being available (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Designer

Senior Designer (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBeautiful corporate campus located four miles from Center City Philadelphia. A rich and immersive company culture that identifies strongly with the UO customer. Entrepreneurial spired is valued and rewarded within the company. There are many opportunities for lateral movement within the brand and the URBN Inc. organization. Casual work environment with an official "Bring Your Dog to Work" policy. The most creative position in the company is store design/display, which is really what separates the brand from it's competition. Open to differing points of view.

ConsThe strong company/brand culture can be a negative if it doesn't fit your personal style/outlook. The company is adding layers and structure as it grows which tends to work agains the core entrepreneurial values. Long standing employees that have transitioned to management roles aren't well supported in the change from "doer" to "manager". There is not a traditional HR department which can make it difficult to navigate and resolve issues with other co-workers or bosses/managers. The focus on internal promotion (from stores) and keeping operation costs low means that some of you co-workers could be a bit inexperienced for their position. Also not competitive from a pay standpoint and relocating to Philadelphia (mainly from NYC and LA) can be difficult for some. Both of these points tend to contribute to a high turn over rate for many areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementImproved pay and a more robust/traditional HR team to help support managers and retain talent.

Very exciting place to work!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Towson, MD

ProsFun environment, great people! Company's is great

ConsRetail, the shifts And the customers

Decent

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosroom for growth, lots of availability and flexible on hours

Conslong hours, sometimes unorganized scheduling

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always encouraging

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDiscount is amaze. If you tell a manager you want to grow in the company, they will make it happen.

ConsTypical retail cons. Nothing bad on urban's part.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on encouraging and being appreciative of employees it makes all the difference!!

Loved working here because of my coworkers, and managers.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEasy to work around other jobs. Fun atmosphere. Easy job if you enjoy being around people... Most customers are at ease shopping and are looking for purchase confirmation and suggestions.

ConsNot a whole lot of career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management is great at my location and is loyal to long time employees.

It was honestly a great place to work with a wonderful culture.

ProsThe campus at the Navy Yard is beyond amazing and employees were definitely encouraged to take advantage of it. The culture was work hard play hard but as long as you were getting your work done everything was great. Managers were always accessible and easy to talk to.

ConsCould have made a bit more $....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture rockin.

Awesome company to work for

Customer Service Representative Email (Former Employee) Augusta, GA

ProsBeing able to express yourself creatively, no dress code at the call center, the friends I made there are awesome, perks are endless, including discounts!, supervisors are always encouraging and I enjoyed having evaluations of my work on a regular basis to improve my work, you can always learn other departments if you ever feel stagnant in your current position - such as CSR, Email, Chat, etc.,

ConsThere is a slim chance of being promoted, and with it being a call center, your schedule is basically up in the air. Your schedule depends on your performance. Also, if you work overnight, good luck going back to the day schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be room to grow upward in the call center, because when there isn't, employees feel like they have reached a plateau. Keep momentum going.

Great!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat atmosphere, great coworkers.Overall fantastic

ConsNone, there were no cons for me.

Exciting

Customer Service Representative - Email Team (Former Employee) Augusta, GA

ProsDiscounts, friends you make working there, feeling like you are a part of a team, constant support and motivation from peers and supervisors

Consdealing with difficult customers, the slim opportunity to be promoted, and scheduling

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great environment for college students-but quit as soon as you graduate

Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat discount and chill workplace. Able to wear whatever you wanted which was a super huge plus. You make really close friends and meet people from all walks of life.if you're cool with managers they can really really help you out with your schedule for school

ConsUrban tries so hard to push "individuality" but then you meet people from home office and everyone is the same generic textbook case hipster. Slow/No growth. If you want to move up you nearly have to double your schedule only to make a few cents more. I was there for three years, after a while you get tired of the sameness and being treated like a kid on the retail floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPUSH GROWTH. After a while you feel stuck !

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!