Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne

Richard A. Hayne

Pros:
  • "Really good starting off rate for retail, no dress code and everyone is overall very easy going"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Great discount, fun and outgoing coworkers, relatively "cool" management staff"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week)"
    in 28 reviews
  • "The on call shifts were a pain just because they put you down for not being available"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Easy going, but I feel watched

Cashier (Current Employee)
Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

ProsLove the free spirited environment. Good network environment as well.

ConsFavortism. Pay isn't enough. Hours are always up and down. One particular manager gives me a hard time.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should have positive attitudes and treat their employers fairly and with respect at all times. I'm pretty offended with my pay raise not raising to the minimum value I was told, when I was told I'm such a great worker.

Great Place

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsReally good retail experience, made a lot of friends.

ConsNot enough hours, minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more hours

Totally worth working retail

Retail Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros-AMAZING discount
-great co workers
-no dresscode
-christmas bonus
-a lot of opportunities for growth
-you get to meet interesting people
-easily transfer to other stores
-employee appreciation days
-training is not super involved, but it is helpful

Cons-retail sucks regardless of where you work, super boring
-pay isn't usually much more than minimum wage for retail associates
-hours can be unstable because the stores are only allowed to staff a certain amount of hours according to whether or not the store is making its sales goals
-when you are assigned to greet, your life sucks for a few hours

Advice to Senior Managementsales associates should be given more responsibilities to make working certain positions not as horribly boring

Great environment, bad management

Sale Associate (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone is really laid back and chill. If you talk to the right people it's pretty easy to get your shift covered if you need it. The dress code is all you but remember customers only ask you for advice if your outfit looks good.

ConsThey have issues with payroll and staff. Only 2 people get the majority hours and everyone else gets "on-call" shifts. So you'll work two days out of the week and have three to four "on-call" shifts that they won't need you to come in on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better training. There is really only one decent manager. The others kind of just float around acting like they know what they're doing and two of them spread rumors about their employees. Very unprofessional.

A flash in the pan

Womens Accessories Manager (Former Employee)
Savannah, GA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can wear pretty much whatever you wanted. The insurance was fairly good, and I did gain great merchandising skills.

ConsThere is little room for growth, and training felt rushed and/or too quick to be absorbed. Our District and Regional managers seemed to only care about our numbers. To be honest, I always felt that they did not care as long as they looked good. The companies ideals sounded good, (green, cultural values, now) but many times I felt that they exploited them to appeal to consumers instead of letting the product and customer service speak on it's own. The company also seemed to waste resources like crazy!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is great jumping off platform- to another company

Decent

Columbia, SC

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

ProsFellow sales associates are fun and outgoing and I always leave in a good mood. The clothes are great and the discount (40% off full price merchandise) is what keeps me around...

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for a raise... Worked here for a year and only had the opportunity to increase my hourly wage from $7.50 to $7.70. Management has poor communication with sales associates and I feel like I never have any idea what is going on. No opportunity for creativity whatsoever. Every aspect of the job is dictated by headquarters so there is no room for employees or even managers to change anything. Also, on-call shift are the most awful things ever. The manager in charge of sending out the schedule does so two days prior to the start of the next work week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have better communication with sales associates and fellow managers about promotions, reviews, events, etc. Managers also need to realize that scheduling is a huge deal and when the schedules are sent out only TWO days in advance it can create MANY conflicts, especially for those of us that are in school or work more than one job.

The politics and favoritism in this company dont allow the truly talented employees to succeed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe coworkers, the discount (40%), the clothes, it wasn't taxing physically

Consmanagement, favoritism, very unorganized,

Advice to Senior ManagementChill Out! Treat all employees fairly.

A lot of amenities are just tricky ways to keep you there all the time

Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay was decent for the area (though other coworkers have complained about their low salaries and people left every day for better pay in other areas) If you have a good manager, your experience can be wonderful. There is an on site cafeteria, coffee shop, dog friendly office, beautiful open spaces, and a gym. All of these things make you think you are working for a great company, but in reality they are just to keep you tied to it. Benefits and employee discount were fair.

ConsIn reality, these "Pros" are all just ways to keep you on site and working more. If you can go to the gym after work, you can go back to your desk and answer emails until 9 pm (very common!). If you can bring your dog in, you don't need to make any excuse to get up at 5 pm and leave to let the dog out. (Good thing, because other than your coworkers your dog will be the only social life you have). If you don't need to go anywhere for lunch, you never have to leave the campus! A lot of young employees move across the country (or world) to work here and have no outside friends or life once they get to the city. All said, it breeds a creepy inbred family of coworkers whose lives revolve around URBN. (It was not uncommon to get emails about how the building closed at midnight and you needed to be offsite by then, or what hours the security guards were working on Saturday and Sunday.)

I've seen a lot of people get pushed out by their managers for not fitting the mold. There would be BS awards ceremonies that were reminiscent of high school. Rather than reward people's merits or hard work, they were popularity contests for the bloggers with the most followers, or the designers with their heads in the clouds 99% of the time. Most hard working employees left feeling slighted and under-appreciated. A few "stars" were the only ones that the CEO ever rewarded. Business minded people were rarely recognized, and it was more about having a "look" than having brains, but I guess that's just the fashion industry! Unfortunately, no HR Department means that employees are often left to fend for themselves with untrained management and directors who were promoted not for their skill, but for their seniority at the company, or their friendships with the hiring managers, or their cool outfits.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in smart people, not just people who look "on brand". Eventually the pretty people will leave and you are left with a lot of young, dumb girls who don't know much. Hire people who know how to manage people. (Not just friends that have worked there the longest.) Managers should have manager experience or attend manager training, and for the love of god, please put in an HR Department to help when your untrained managers don't know what to do!

Good for someone who loves the store and is in college

Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsTheres an amazing discount, which can be a trap if youre irresponsible but great if you really like the clothers. The co workers are all kind and similar to you. This is a great part time job if you're in college.

ConsInsecure hours, because its all based on sales, sometimes i'll get like one shift a week, which is pretty dismal especially considering the low pay. Management at my specific store was disorganized at times, but overall they were still kind thoughtful people. Moving up is based on favoritism, which is natural when youre in a company that favors personality. It's something to expect, but it can also be heartbreaking.

I loved working for this company.

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsThey gave you the freedom to really express who you are as a person.

ConsNot enough hours. It was somewhat clickish if you were new.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the people who really want to be there on board and don't hire 50 new seasonal people.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Urban Outfitters CEO Richard A. Hayne. All 422 reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees.