Urban Outfitters

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne
Richard A. Hayne

Pros
  • No dress code to speak of, dog-friendly work environment, decent coffee and food on-campus (in 54 reviews)

• Great discount amazing co-workers and a very chill and open environment (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week) (in 30 reviews)

• The on call shifts were a pain just because they put you down for not being available (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

great if you work in philly, the NYC region sucks.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great people, cool store, looks good on resume,

Cons

favoritism, bending of policy for favorites, disorganized, wrong store mgrs in position, store mgrs hired on looks rather than skill

apply pressure to the old nyc team, and make them show what they really can do. if they fail, manage them out and restaff. Urban will continue to go down hill until the nyc upper mgmt team is restaffed. nyc accounts for over 50% of urban's business and if nyc fails the company fails.

Neurotic Store Merchandiser

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Met a lot of great people while working here, plus discount is a perk.

Cons

Absolutely horrible upper management. Both Store Manager and Store Merchandiser have no idea how to run a store properly. Spent a lot of time pointing out employee flaws instead of trying to help improve the store as a whole. Merchandiser at this store is rude and has no management or people skills whatsoever; extremely neurotic. Witnessed her disrespecting several employees over time while working at this location.

Think before you promote someone. No one wants to work under a merchandiser who is completely rude and disrespectful to an entire staff of people due to her laziness and incompetence. Also having a Store Manager with no experience only hinders a store. Hire Store Managers that people WANT to respect.

TONS of work for very little pay. Unorganized and under appreciated.

I have been working at Urban Outfitters

Pros

40% discount
    no dress code
    friendly sales associates

Cons

I have been here for about a year and have received a paycheck that was more than 400$ twice. They hired me at 8$ and hour and I got a 10 cent "raise". They never have enough hours for all the associates so most people end up getting 10-20 hours a week. Once I was scheduled to "perfect close" and they kept us there from 4 pm until 5:30am IM NOT KIDDING. They really don't care about associates because they are very disposable. Managers at or above the district level are VERY out of touch with the stores and managers could care less about your needs. On call shifts are the dumbest thing ever because you may or may not work therefore you cannot make plans for that day. Also our store's A/C broke almost every week in the summer (it's located in Texas) and corporate would take their sweet time sending someone to fix it so everyone is miserable for the few days it takes them. There is a high associate turn over rate for a reason.

Only hire the amount of people you need so everyone can get adequate hours. 12 hours a week is not enough when I signed on as 25 hrs a week. Listen to associates needs more (we are the ones that have to deal with customers). Pay needs to be higher or associates just leave when a better offer comes. And getting rid of on call shifts would make everyone a lot happier.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical retail job

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working alongside fun interesting people, trendy environment, laid back

Cons

Easy to feel unimportant, there's really no reward in working harder.

Good part-time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount, laid back managers, pretty low stress work environment

Cons

They consistently scheduled me for more hours than I requested/was able to work due to my other job; eventually this led me to resign.

Accommodate your employees' other jobs.

Urbanites

Former Employee - Women's Department Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Women's Department Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time

Pros

You meet amazing and talented people.

Cons

District managers and Regional managers don't know any better.

Do some personal growth

Or nah?

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Urban, you can wear whatever you want. WHATEVER you want. Managers come in sporting crop tops, and skirts and dresses with splits up to their hoohah, and everything is aye okay. Also, the vibe at work is super-relaxed and chill if you don't work at a high volume store. But despite that, people take their jobs seriously and your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. People were promoted within months of working at our store. Dunno' if their pay increased, but there's clearly room to grow. Last but certainly not lease, that discount though. I don't use it but I support it.

Cons

Although Urban promotes a chill vibe, sometimes people try too hard and it comes off as inauthentic. Also, the clothes are expensive. We have a great discount, but go to a thrift shop. Urban was inspired by thrift shops, so why not?

Give employees more individual training time.

Pretty basic retail job but met a lot of awesome individuals

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is really good and you'll meet some of the most interesting individuals working here

Cons

Some of the high ups (Merchandiser, Department Managers) tend to think that they are above the rest. I hated it when the managers would schedule me to work on days that aren't a part of my availability. This happened often, and when I would tell the manager I can't work because I have class, they would make me call around to get my shift covered.

Fun job with nice coworkers and good benefits

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

I like how there is a clothing discount not just with Urban Outfitters but with Free People and Anthropologie as well.

Cons

Long hours on your feet. Minimum wage.

great company to work for

I have been working at Urban Outfitters

Pros

lots of possibilities for promotion, relaxed work environment, no dress code, better than average for retail.

Cons

high turn over, depending on management sometimes poor communication. certain stores don't have much growth

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!