Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne
Richard A. Hayne

Pros
  • No dress code to speak of, dog-friendly work environment, decent coffee and food on-campus (in 54 reviews)

• Great discount amazing co-workers and a very chill and open environment (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week) (in 30 reviews)

• The on call shifts were a pain just because they put you down for not being available (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

A Chill Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work here if you like working in a relaxed setting and meeting cool people. No dresscode. Discount is great and you are able to give a significant other/family member a discount card as well. Hipster music(What did you expect?). Work-life balance okay, even on a Friday/Saturday, you can close the store early enough to grab some drinks after work. Events at the store can be fun.

Cons

Minimum wage. After 1 year, you are reviewed with the possibility of a raise. Hipster music(^See above comment). Hours are insufficient(4-5 hour shifts). Depending on who is doing the schedule, a multitude of scheduling errors. Request off dates are a free-for-all and only the first 5 employees on one date are guaranteed. Communication between management and employees not transparent enough. Not enough opportunities to grow with the company. Favoritism. Training experience is mixed, with multiple employees telling you multiple ways to do things the "right" way.

Play Hard, Work Harder

Former Employee - Product Development and Production Coordinator  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Product Development and Production Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In terms of culture, this place can't be beat. It's got a culture all it's own, which is a major attraction. The Navy Yard is a great space, and the buildings are beautiful. It's a young, fun, vibrant group of people to work with. It's a refreshing breath of air from the typical "corporate" world.

Cons

Depending on your role, expect to work morning, noon and night. And early mornings and weekends. And any time in between. The work life balance is lacking.

Inconsistent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discount at Urban Outfitters and Anthropology discount that you can share with friends & family. Fun work environment, lots of room for creativity. Availability of reporting to track the success of your decisions in running the store, systems in place allow stores to make inventory swaps between stores allowing store management to own their business and inventory better than many stores I have worked for.

Cons

All managers are salaried which means no overtime, and the expectation is to work a minimum of 50 hours a week. Some days can be 12+ hour days depending on workload. Management turnover is very high even at the district level which leads to inconsistency and a lack of real development. The ability to be creative in your job sounds great... until everyone that visits your store has a different opinion and that means you are constantly redoing your work. Little to no recognition for a job well done.

Invest in the people who care, recognize your people and the work that they do, work on consistency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok for retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount was good and the music was ok. I really liked that I was able to wear whatever I wanted. Some of my coworkers were cool and everyone was pretty nice overall.

Cons

Hardly anyone got hours and they kept hiring. Management was extremely disorganized and often took their frustration out on the workers. There was a lot of favoritism that was definitely based on more than just how hard the employees worked.

Good company, low pay. Little room for advancement.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

No dress code, great discount, fun co-workers, team-oriented goals and events, flexible schedules, great clothes. A great first job or a job for people looking for a great clothing discount and minimum wage.

Cons

Low wages, not much room for advancement, management shows favoritism; can be lazy and ignorant to employee's goals and wishes; occasionally rude or condescending.

Be more punctual with deadlines, pay more attention to your employees goals for the future.

terrible company to work for

I worked at Urban Outfitters

Pros

employee discount. Flexible hours. great ppl.

Cons

terrible bosses. no respect for employees.

Learning Retail

Former Employee - Display Artist
    Former Employee - Display Artist

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with, fun environment, good structure.

Cons

low compensation, to many opportunities for growth.

Listen to what the employee is looking to do with their career and try to lead them to opportunities to achieve that goal.

Great Part-Time Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful environment, great music, great discount

Cons

Hard to move up in the company.

Creative Enviornment but Disorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

While working at Urban as a textile designer I really loved the creative environment I was surrounded by. There are a lot of talented people working there, and I had the opportunity to make some really exciting work for cool products. All of my coworkers were super friendly and helpful. The campus is beautiful and there are lots of events the company throws that are lots of fun.

Cons

Office culture was pretty terrible. I came to just take it as the norm that I would be at work til 9 or later each night, even sometimes 11 depending on how much work there was to do. All of this could have been avoided if managment had been better at communicating within departments to allocate work out. Things were always popping up last minute that needed way more time to complete then what we were given. The CAD team over all was really overworked, even with a large number of people on the team. Also there seemed to be little concern from the company put into who you were as a person, how long you had been with them, etc.. A few of my managers were let go in a really unprofessional manner during my time there after years of service and I felt bad.

I think the work to life balance should be considered much more heavily wiht management. I understand that things need to get done, but its not healthy to only spend your whole life at work- especially when you are creative and need to have other aspects of your life in balance to get inspiration.

Cliquey

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee Discounts, and cute girls

Cons

The cliques were like high school, the shoplifting was ridiculous, they need a security team, the clothing is bad, cute girls were rude

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!