Urban Outfitters

Updated January 26, 2015
3.2

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne
Richard A. Hayne

Pros
  • Great people, great discount, no dress code, super chill working enviornment (in 59 reviews)

• Great discount amazing co-workers and a very chill and open environment (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Closing shifts are a nightmare, especially on weekends, hard to have a work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week) (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boulder, CO

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work environment was always friendly, fun, and laid-back. I got to work with the best co-workers and managers. Coming into work felt like I was going to hang out with my friends.

Cons

The pay was bad. Minimum wage and they never did any reviews. Some employees have been working there for over 2 years and still make the same wage as when they started.

They should perform employee reviews more often. I was there over a year and my performance was never reviewed. I also think pay should be tied to store performance. We were one of the top performing stores in America yet I never felt like we were recognized for it.

Good first job experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great discount, awesome atmosphere. Most employees are easy to get along with and really cool. Customers are fun and it's easy to have good customer service. Get to wear whatever you want along with your personal style.

Cons

Low pay. Closing shifts are a nightmare, especially on weekends, hard to have a work/life balance. Lots of people are working their for years so it can become cliquey. Managers are hit or miss, either awesome or pretty cruel.

On-call shifts are awful, reason why I couldn't keep working their.

Overall a cool/chill place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros:
    - Awesome discount (40%) and employee appreciation periods that can extend to family and significant others.
    - Pretty flexible with scheduling as long as you had your requests in on time, although no more than 3 people could request one day off at a time, this usually wasn't an issue (holidays and days after holidays could get filled fast).
    - My coworkers were cool people, all very friendly and helpful when I started and continued to be that way. Same goes for the managers.
    - They provided good benefits if you were working enough hours.
    - Honestly never minded coming in for work, some days were rough but that was more a personal issue (didn't feel good, tired, etc).

Cons

Some of the cons:
    - Pay was 8/hr. Not bad for what the job is, but not great either. What minimum wage is now.
    - Closing the store on a busy day could get lengthy. The store closed at 9PM and sometimes you wouldn't be out until hours after. Even worse for "perfect closes" or when there were huge sales.
    - If you ever needed a closing shift switched or covered on a Friday/weekend it was almost impossible to find someone.
    - Which brings me to... schedules were made weekly. I didn't know when I was working for the next week until Wed/Thur of the current week we were in. For some that could be cool but it seemed last minute for me as I couldn't make plans until I had those dates.
    - I hated waiting around to call in for on-call shifts. Shifts you were put on schedule for, then would call in 2 hours beforehand to see if they actually needed you.
    - Never really felt there was any sort of opportunity for growth, but then again I wasn't seeking out anything.

Good place to work when youre young!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount, great employee/store vibe, very honest reviews with future goals in mind even if they arent within the company. Always insanely flexible with schedule even allowing transfers during blackout season.

Cons

Not the best pay, weird hours, and very strange customer interactions. Sometimes would be closing the store until 2 + hours after close due to the size of the store

Management was great, but it just shifted around quite a bit. I always had great interactions with managers even when i felt that there was pressure to upsell

Great people, great atmosphere

I have been working at Urban Outfitters full-time

Pros

Fun environment, great supervisors, and awesome co-workers.

Cons

Pay is lower than expected

Work a little more with your agents

Bad training, good experience

Current Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

discount, employee appreciation month, meet cool people, good breaks, chill environment, good music, awesome merchandise

Cons

a few rude associates/managers, managers/team leads abusing their power, some rude customers (typically the older crowd), boring when slow

train your employees! when i was hired i was never trained to do fitting rooms, greet, or anything like that. i was only taught to do one job, which is get shoes from the back.

It was pretty nice.

I worked at Urban Outfitters

Pros

benefits, hours, pay, management, atmosphere

Cons

time-off, training, advancement, co-workers, schedule

rollercoaster.

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

if you get along with the people in your store, you'll do great....but, it is retail and there is always a high turnover rate, so that won't last long. But, if you show interest and initiative they will love you and absolutely jump at the chance to take full advantage of you, your life, and your work.
    If you work at the home office, well, that's probably your best bet because you are basically treated like royalty even though you have no clue how a store runs.

Cons

"The Company"...yes, that's how they refer to themselves...has disgusting business practices. They have in store contests that essentially rip off their own employees. All of their in store displays are taken straight from Pinterest. And even their merchandise is a stolen replica of tons of local artists around the country.
    Employees are so dissatisfied that "the company" continuously has lawsuits against them for how they treat their employees. This is not a joke.

One person can ruin your whole experience, but you're likely to run into multiple people that will. Pay is a joke. The company expects you to buy into the "urban outfitters culture" where you become dependent on the job because you like the culture, but you get stuck there because they pay less than what you're worth and, unfortunately for sales associates, minimum wage... you're so broke that you can't afford to do anything about it because if you were hired somewhere else you have to choose between eating/paying rent/paying bills/etc because you can't afford to skip a pay period. You literally cannot save any money if you are in a store environment.

work/life balance is non-existent if you are salary, but, if you are hourly, the company basically thinks you're garbage that can be tossed out at a moment's notice.

There is no advice. things are disorganized within the company itself, and home office doesn't care.
    oh yeah, GET A HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT. Having one person to answer e-mails and pretending to have an "open door policy" does not make for happy employees. Instead, employees get ignored and thrown away.

Great talent, poor training

Current Employee - Product Development and Production Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Urban Outfitters as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

people, building, environment, inspiration, talent, opportunities

Cons

pay, training, human resources, overworked, underpaid

Great way to meet new young people

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I liked the freedom you have with what you decide to wear and what opinions you decide to give to customers. I felt that I was in charge of my own experience. The managers were super relaxed as long as you were knowledgeable of store policy and protocol. It was definitely a learning experience but I got a lot of valuable customer interaction from it.

Cons

The training can not be sufficient enough depending on the store that you get hired at. Different stores can sometimes have different policies which can be difficult to adapt to. Also, customers just naturally can be rude regardless of how you treat them which requires you to have some thick skin.

Recognition of your employees that are doing excellent work. I worked in two different Urbans and I dealt with many employees that were not pulling their own weight. It was difficult to feel like the work that I was doing was meaningful as it was never recognized.