Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne

Richard A. Hayne

Pros
  • No dress code to speak of, dog-friendly work environment, decent coffee and food on-campus (in 54 reviews)

• Great discount amazing co-workers and a very chill and open environment (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours when closing (was working 'til 2-3am at least once a week) (in 30 reviews)

• The on call shifts were a pain just because they put you down for not being available (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Exactly what you would expect

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou get great discounts for both you and one specified non-family relative, as well as family. They have special calendar days where workers get an even larger discount.

ConsThe store is really disorganized and working the front door is the worst ever. You're not allowed to busy yourself with folding clothes and making the store look better if it's out of your designated section.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less associates and offer more hours.

It depends.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt really depends on which store you work at and how your store manager runs the store and treats the employees.

- An unbelievable generous discount
    - Laid-back environment
    - Co-workers turning into life-long friends

Cons- Depending on how long you've been working there, you may only get 5 hours a week.
    - Low pay. For what and who you have to deal with at UO for just a retail job, minimum wage ain't worth it.
    - Lack of communication within departments, management and new employees. Don't expect the new hires to know everything that took you 2 years to learn.
    - If ya wanna move up, become BFFs with management.
    - Won't lie, it gets clique-y.
    - Sometimes the store manager... yeah.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit?

Retail is reliable but rarely satisfying.

Department Team Lead (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNo uniform. Discounts on clothes. Minimal physical labor, and pretty light customer interaction. You're not asked to be pushy with sales, and they foster a pretty honest approach with customers.

ConsDepending on your store, mobility within the company may be slow. Sticking it out for over a year barely had me crawling up the management track. Upper management can be chaotic, cliquey, and passive-aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for talent and protect your dedicated employees. Seniority shouldn't be the only factor when considering promotions. Give more focus to your management trainees--they are the future of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very interesting job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou got an amazing discount and the pay was pretty decent. The employees there are very cool and interesting people who are very knowledgeable about different cultures and atmospheres.

ConsThe staff was very unorganized and the management was not up to par. I feel like new employees weren''t trained properly and therefore wasn't able to fulfill tasks. The store was overstaffed so there were not enough hours for the employees. I think the management was not adequately prepared to deal with the staff and couldn't help us the way they needed to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease educate and train managers so they can better support the staff. Also I understand the laid-back culture but there needs to be some sort of structure within a working environment and I did not see one here.

Cool atmosphere, great people and discounts. On the downside low pay, no incentive and little room for growth.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe reason I've stayed at Urban is because of the awesome people you meet and the relaxed atmosphere where you can wear whatever you want. My fellow employees have become good friends and make working there tolerable. Lots of different personalities and generally the creative type who can make your day fun. Great discounts as well. By tracking merchandise and new sale items online I was able to snag so many amazing deals on items like $100 coats for $20, dresses for $10 etc. Also it was easy to request time off and take vacations, go on tour etc.

ConsAs for the downsides, the pay is low and there is little to no opportunities to get a raise. After working there a year I earned a raise of $0.25 taking me to $8 an hour and this happens each year you keep working there. Secondly, there is no real incentive for employees to better themselves in sales or work ethic. Managers try and get you excited to make your day's LY and make the company thousands, but you never see a dime of it or any reward or recognition if this is becomes a reality besides a "good job". The one time our store won a rare cash prize contest from the company for successful work, our managers said they would use the money to buy the employees something for the break room but it never happened and the money got secretly stashed away and never heard of again. Promotions are based on favoritism and though you may work hard in a department for years you could easily get bumped out of a promotion by someone else because they're closer to your store manager. Feelings get hurt and people are constantly leaving looking for new opportunities. Few hours are available each week and are based on whether or not your store is making the sales goal compared to the previous years sales. Even if you are scheduled for eight hours, if the day is slow likelihood you're going to be cut and sent home. There's been several instances where at times they'll hire a bunch of new employees, as it is everyone already is only get 15 hours a week and yet they keep hiring people rather than giving their older employees more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy giving incentive to employees it gives a better feeling of personal success and ambition to do better. Rather than simply working for the good of the company it would make the job more rewarding to actually see some sort of recognition, gift, prize for achieving personal goals.

The politics and favoritism in this company dont allow the truly talented employees to succeed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThe coworkers, the discount (40%), the clothes, it wasn't taxing physically

Consmanagement, favoritism, very unorganized,

Advice to Senior ManagementChill Out! Treat all employees fairly.

Great environment, bad management

Sale Associate (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsEveryone is really laid back and chill. If you talk to the right people it's pretty easy to get your shift covered if you need it. The dress code is all you but remember customers only ask you for advice if your outfit looks good.

ConsThey have issues with payroll and staff. Only 2 people get the majority hours and everyone else gets "on-call" shifts. So you'll work two days out of the week and have three to four "on-call" shifts that they won't need you to come in on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better training. There is really only one decent manager. The others kind of just float around acting like they know what they're doing and two of them spread rumors about their employees. Very unprofessional.

Easy going, but I feel watched

Cashier (Current Employee) Sherman Oaks, CA

ProsLove the free spirited environment. Good network environment as well.

ConsFavortism. Pay isn't enough. Hours are always up and down. One particular manager gives me a hard time.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should have positive attitudes and treat their employers fairly and with respect at all times. I'm pretty offended with my pay raise not raising to the minimum value I was told, when I was told I'm such a great worker.

Bad managers and bad customers

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsGreat discount for clothes and a good environment to work in.

ConsThe managers need to step up their game and try to be more personable. It was hard working for people in a bad mood all the time and who don't care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Decent

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsFellow sales associates are fun and outgoing and I always leave in a good mood. The clothes are great and the discount (40% off full price merchandise) is what keeps me around...

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for a raise... Worked here for a year and only had the opportunity to increase my hourly wage from $7.50 to $7.70. Management has poor communication with sales associates and I feel like I never have any idea what is going on. No opportunity for creativity whatsoever. Every aspect of the job is dictated by headquarters so there is no room for employees or even managers to change anything. Also, on-call shift are the most awful things ever. The manager in charge of sending out the schedule does so two days prior to the start of the next work week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have better communication with sales associates and fellow managers about promotions, reviews, events, etc. Managers also need to realize that scheduling is a huge deal and when the schedules are sent out only TWO days in advance it can create MANY conflicts, especially for those of us that are in school or work more than one job.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!