Urban Science

Urban Science Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Urban Science President Jim Anderson

Jim Anderson

Pros:
  • "Good technology, smart people, certification program for practice areas is a good idea"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Lots of good people still working there"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management doesn't respect or understand software development"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Outdated development process (lacks industry standards)"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

"Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication." Too bad Urban lacks trust.

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

Pros- Decent benefits
    - Facilities are new and top notch
    - Development Teams have access to the latest tools and technologies

Cons- Poorly managed projects result in disproportionate workloads
    - Lacks technical vision and execution
    - HR is so poorly staffed they cannot correct department and leadership deficiencies
    - Poor project management and planning forces teams to work 12+ hours for months on end.
    - Outdated development process (lacks industry standards)
    - IT leadership doesn't trust employees and would rather spend money on consultants who are repeating what employees have said for years.
    - Middle and Upper management (not C level) lack trust in employees
    - Poor management has resulted in lots of very talented employees leaving

Advice to Senior ManagementStart a succession plan for middle and upper management. Question the decisions the IT leadership team are making and seek answers from the employees who are and can actually do the work.

Very stiff, horrible work

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsCan't really think of any, I guess good vendor deals with auto companies

Cons- Typical problems with putting engineers into management - they don't know how to deal with people.
    - Work is the driest garbage I've ever seen in my life.
    - Absolutely no collaboration between teams - leads to a quiet workplace that is no fun, plus a real lack of efficiency because of all the work that is repeated instead of done once for all teams.
    - Constantly dealing with and hearing about negative internal ratings of the company, but nobody seems to know how to fix them.

Urban Science is a great Place to Work!!!

Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsSchedule, Beni's and Compensation are excellent. Office is gorgeous, company is thoughtful and employees

ConsGrowing Pains are challenging but worth it

Advice to Senior ManagementProcess Improvement needs to continue

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitely would recommend... def definitely would recommend

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsI LOVE the people at this Company from the Detroit team to the Munich team to the Long Beach and Mexico teams that I worked with. They are all very caring and desire to do what is right, always.

I especially want to call out the Herndon-DC team as I will miss this grouup the most. I would recommend you apply as they need the help on this local account desperately and could use some good people.

ConsOverall the Company has some growing pains coming but the Detroit Management team currently being formed are very smart and will accomplish much if given the opportunity to do what is right.

Good Place to Work

Detroit, MI

ProsThey are taking initiatives to increase employee satisfaction. Have to work hard at times, but you have a lot of responsibility and your input matters.

ConsProjects that require you to wake up early to complete them.

Excellent!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)
    Long Beach, CA

Pros-Leadership is committed to continuous improvement, specifically in the area of employee & client satisfaction.
    -Very supportive local leadership.
    -Great, caring and smart people!
    -Great experiences with employees I've had the opportunity to work with from our other, global offices.
    -Close to home.

Cons-There is a lot of work to do, however, it is challenging and keeps me coming back for more.

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to model our values.
    -Continue your committment to improving employee and client satisfaction. Balance this with our goals in the area of profitability and growth.

neutral but might go up in the future

Prossmart and nice people
    good benefits
    HR and upper management people are trying hard to address some of the issues

Consbelow market compensation (but they have been working on it.)
    they have been making so many IT policies that don't make sense.

Development Team (Current Employee)

Pros1.New remodeled Office
    2.Some smart employees
    3.Company business is booming during bad and good economies.

Cons1.Company switched to TSP/PSP software development process which is outdated and is nothing but micro-management.
    2.Some employees work hard without any recognition while others play and do nothing but still get recognized because they have close ties to some managers.
    3.Back stabbing is happening all the time. Managers hear one side of story only and take action without talking to other parties.
    4.Employees get threaten of being let go on their yearly performance review although these employees work really hard.
    5.Bonuses and raises are real pathetic.
    6.Employees work long hours due to aggressive delivery dates.
    7.Expect to loose any experience you have since company switched to using a number of 3rd party software for development.
    8. Architecture team make decision without talking to Development.
    9. Management team commit to projects without talking to development.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and not to your managers in order for the company to grow.
    Job market is real competitive so again treat your people well.

Sorry I ever joined the company - stay away from this place!

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsNice facility, nice people. Popcorn machine. That's it.

ConsManagement does not tell the truth. They put on a display of "all things are great" and "our team is the most important thing" but it is a lie. I've seen how they treat people first-hand and it can be brutal. If you are a developer and willing to work 60 hours week after week with no reward, then you'll be fine. If you've put in many extra hours and want an afternoon off ... forget it. I watched a co-worker get fired (very rudely) because he wanted a Friday afternoon off. He'd worked 50+ hours/week for 3 months and they wouldn't give him four hours. Me? I'm looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Change your ways: treat your people respectfully and learn to actually implement a life balance approach. Stop lying. Expect fair work for a fair reward. Don't be surprised when people stand up for what they believe. Listen.

More cons than pros at the moment, but there are signs of change

Long Beach, CA

ProsAmazing travel opportunities, good opportunities to grow and develop with the company.

ConsLacking in competitive compensation. Company striving for huge growth in the coming years, but behind the best when it comes to company culture. Somewhat lacking in solid people management, and a feeling of disconnect between Senior Management and their employees. Again, it seems they are looking to address these.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee Cons!

Worked for Urban Science? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Science reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Urban Science CEO Jim Anderson. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Urban Science employees.