UrbanDaddy Reviews

4.2
Lance Broumand

1. Intern

I worked at UrbanDaddy

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, love the open floor plan, casual atmosphere, positive corporate culture, teach you how to use different content systems which is something I really enjoyed

Cons

The departments all work on different floors, so I didn't get to know everyone in the company. That said, there are a lot of employees and I guess you can't know everyone.

We

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been reading some of the negative reviews on this site and I have to ask whether these people working at the same place I am. These must be the people who have gotten fired or something. There seems to be alot of coincidental timing between someone i know (or highly suspect) who hasn't been able to cut it here and a negative post on Glassdoor. I've grown through the ranks on the creative side of this company over the last two years and from my perspective we've got it very good here. This company cares very much about all of us, is transparent(ish) about what's going on, wants to do creative things, wants to do big things and wants to make sure that everyone is having fun while its happening. The CEO is a creative and cultural genius. Personally I haven't seen anything that he has touched that hasn't improved 1000% as a result. He built the company's mobile app which is still a huge phenomenon and he works harder than anyone still to this day. If you want to work at a company where you will be appreciated by the CEO and upper management for things you do big or small, then this is your place. If you want a company that has massive product integrity, then this is your place. If you want a company that is trying to build something smart for the long-term, then this is your place.

Cons

Being split up across the three floors is one of the worst things about being here. Its hard to meet new people and socialize and what happens is sort of a Divergence faction system. Things also don't move as fast as they could. Its getting better, but still I think everyone longs to move faster and can be frustrated by the pace of things.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad apples and lets build something bigger.

3. Editorial Assistant

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant

I worked at UrbanDaddy (Less than a year)

Pros

-Got to meet with business owners. -Restaurant and store walk-throughs -Flexible work hours

Cons

Lacked some direction and consistent constructive feedback

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Possibly offer more opportunities for feedback.

Enjoyed My Time @ Urbandaddy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first real job out of college and I learned so much. The people at UrbanDaddy are amazing. So smart, so creative and very nice people to work with. What I learned at UrbanDaddy is that the status quo is not acceptable. That worked for me.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say about UrbanDaddy because I don't have anything to really compare it to. Oh yeah, the bathrooms are not very nice.

Advice to Management

More communication about the direction of the company would have been helpful. Move UD to midtown to a nicer building with better office space.

Awesome Environment

I have been working at UrbanDaddy

Pros

I've been working at UD for almost a year and it's my first job out of college. I love coming to work everyday because of the people. It's a great work environment that's exciting, relaxed and collaborative. Everyone works together on projects, pulling in the help from other departments. No one is ever really out of the loop with new stuff going on. On top of that, our People & Culture team is working really hard and I've seen them do so much in the time I've been here, offering all sorts of new commuter benefits, gym packages, in-office MASSAGES and more. There is a lot of incentive here in regard to benefits and culture. People stick around because we genuinely love it.

Cons

We are still growing and it seems that everyday we are congratulating a new member of our team. So with the departments growing, I hope to see more room for individual growth, as well--meaning more steps on the ladder to climb.

Prepare for good and bad.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UrbanDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team was amazing. The editorial content was always fun to read. Always a plus to be able to listen to your headphones while working. The parties were incredible (but scarce for most employees; you are invited via a lottery, which for a year before the end of my time just disappeared). No stuffy dress code. They finally got with the times and got Keurigs/free k-cups, finally!

Cons

Days start at 10am and end at 6:30pm, with very little room for a lunch. 9 to 5:30 would have been very doable, and most of us would have loved that, especially with so many with long commutes. Everyone is split up on three floors. Been told for YEARS that the company would be moving, and to this day, most employees don't know each other because they never get to see each other. CEO works in spacious, sunny room; lots of us stuck in the dark, stuffy room downstairs. No kitchen. UD's competitors, dare I say, have much better spaces for their employees. A sunny, fun atmosphere would make such a difference. Maybe so many people won't get sick! Extremely little room to grow in the editorial department, which seemed to be favored second after sales/perks team.

Advice to Management

I won't get into specifics, but I've experienced a few broken promises from CEO/upper management first-hand. Yes, you're nice people, but spare your employees any bull. We're smarter than you think, and our trust will only go so far, hence so many of your employees leaving lately. If you can talk the talk...

A great place to work and start your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many smart, creative and hardworking people in the company. Great mentorship. In other words, it is great place for you to learn and grow your career. The knowledge you are going to acquire is directly proportional to the amount of effort you 're willing to put in.

Cons

My office is poorly soundproofed. You can pretty hear noises clearly from the busy streets even though the office is located at the 8th floor. Occasionally, it is very distracting.

Advice to Management

The work environment will be better if the office has minimum noises from the busy streets.

Frustrating and disappointing.

I worked at UrbanDaddy

Pros

Honestly...No real professional growth related pros to list. Things like occasional random snacks being delivered to the office are fine, but unless you're an intern or a toddler, the excitement around free sweets and savories runs out after about 5 mins. Many staffers are well-meaning and friendly.

Cons

This place is hemorrhaging time, energy and resources and someone desperately needs to cauterize the wound. Sorely lacking in any real senior management (probably by design) who could help get control of the situation, the place is largely staffed with junior yes-men types and/or people whose qualifications don't match their titles who are willing to go along with the program for fear that they likely couldn't find equivalent professional status elsewhere. Anyone who does have real expertise typically gets their wings clipped quickly by the head of the company who has adopted a try-to-do-everything-myself approach to running the business -which whether they realize it or not, hugely undermines senior staffers' attempts to do their jobs and help the business. You might work hard here -but you won't work smart. There is a difference. This place needs real creative and product leadership (among many other things) pronto. Some of the dreck that gets produced after many missed deadlines is mind-boggling. Lastly... Let's be honest. The great majority of uber-positive reviews here are planted. Which is sad, b/c that means rather than take the negative comments as an opportunity for self reflection and to identify areas for improvement, the company is having employees write false and overly-positive reviews in an attempt to balance things out. It's a bit embarrassing, really. And an insult to the intelligence of Glassdoor readers as well. Also, for a "luxury" media company, the office is pretty gross/sad. Do something about it. Wouldn't take much. Some facilities are disgusting -if it's a problem with the building, then someone in senior mgmt needs to lean on the building to get it together. This is an office, not the Delta Tau Chi fraternity house.

Advice to Management

Maybe try actually taking some of these negative comments to heart and seeing if you can make things better for your employees and the business overall vs wasting even more time on fake positive reviews. Also, you have a handful of smart people who could really shine and do wonders for the business -let them help you.

UrbanDaddy Response

Jun 15, 2015 – VP People & Culture

Like every comment on Glassdoor we take them very serious both the positive and negative. And we make immediate improvements where we can and put a plan in place for those that will take longer ... More

Alot of Hot People

I have been working at UrbanDaddy

Pros

There are some beautiful people in this company. Makes you work a little harder...

Cons

More social functions!!! Admittedly, there are a few already, but more wouldn't hurt :).

UrbanDaddy Response

May 17, 2015 – VP People & Culture

Please send your recommendation for additional social functions to udpeople@urbandaddy.com and we will see what we can do. Thanks

Great people who value the work you do.

Current Employee - Digital Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at UrbanDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great set of people, a nice working environment, fair expectations of you and your role. When putting in that extra effort it is appreciated, rewarded and exciting to actually see the results pay off. The hiring process was painless and concise. It's only going to grow as a business so it's exciting.

Cons

The elevator is a bit slow.

RSS Feed </> Embed