Ursinus College Reviews

4.1
CEO

1. Great Place

I have been working at Ursinus College

Pros

I've worked various positions at Ursinus College throughout my four years as a student. Each position was engaging and well managed. Ursinus goes to great lengths to see that their student employees are fairly compensated and happy in their jobs.

Cons

Jobs can quickly change based on whether or not a professor is granted tenure.

2. Since i am a full time student i really dont have much work experience

I have been working at Ursinus College

Pros

You learn alot of useful things for the future

Cons

You really do not make any money and you need to pay out alot

3. Great working environment for academically engaged students who want to connect with others on campus

Former Employee - Writing Fellow in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Writing Fellow in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Ursinus College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart peers; can help students on campus; improve student writing and their own writing skills; bright and encouraging supervisor; resume-builder

Cons

Sometimes difficult to work with shy students or students who do not speak English as their first language, but this can be rewarding; few hours available

I think the management is effective but could provide more hours for tutots to work

5. Lab Assistant

Current Intern - Research Assistant in Collegeville, PA
    Current Intern - Research Assistant in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Ursinus College as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work is that you are exposed to multiple different studies which will leave you with various lab skills that you can potentially use for future lab positions. You will be in constant contact with the head adviser and receive feedback throughout the year.

Cons

You may end up doing tasks that may be completely not in your interest. A lot of lab work is time consuming and around the clock work may be needed in most labs.

Limit the amount of entry level students to a minimum so that students who invest earlier can grow within that group.

6. basic

I have been working at Ursinus College

Pros

Educational institution that provides many jobs for their students

Cons

Pay is a bit low even for students.

Close student-professor interactions, great sciences departments, terrible social scene and non-science resources.

Former Employee - Student in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Student in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Ursinus College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close interaction between students and professors.
    Fairly close to Philadelphia ( but you must have a car because public transportation is unrealistic) .
    Close to major Pfizer and GSK facilities.
    Excellent Career Services Department.
    Athletic Student Body and great athletic facilities.
    Students that universally value academic performance.
    Open-minded and politically diverse (majority is liberal) student body and faculty

Cons

Not much happening in Collegeville.
    Terrible Social Scene.
    Obvious divide between social (Greek and Athletic) and non-social students (be prepared to see the same faces every weekend).
    Very high tuition that appears to be mismanaged as the school never seems to have enough money for improvements (management frequently cites financial constraints as the reason for not improving the campus and relevant programs)
    No School Spirit and low athletic event attendance.
    Obvious divide between national (only 3 national organizations) and local Greek organizations
    Not much cultural or socioeconomic diversity.

Figure out your budget so you can lower tuition and improve the campus. This school is currently not worth the money that I spent to graduate. It appears as though you are proud of a "Colleges that Change Lives" designation which, in my opinion, you no longer deserve. The professors at this school are amazing and truly care about helping students learn, but the current management is really keeping this school from performing at the highest level. Put money into updating old residence halls (Reimert, BWC, BPS) and academic buildings (Thomas). Stop spending money on pointless statues. It may also help increase retention rates if you expand the student body to around 3,500 students and add a residence hall. I feel as though many students transfer because they get bored with seeing the same people every day for four years and can't stand spending $55,000 a year to live in a tiny, mold filled room. Also, listen to the majority of the faculty which is upset with current management. Many of them haven't received a raise or bonus in 5 years, yet there continue to be "artistic" statues installed that add no value to anybody's education or well-being. As a graduate, I will not be donating any money unless I see drastic changes in the management of this college.