User Friendly Media

Updated December 4, 2014
3.2

Bruce Howard

Great Company!!

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic company culture with good compensation and benefits. A pay for performance atmosphere with room to grow. Company has made the shift towards digital and has developed new and exciting products and continues to do so. The company appreciates and understands the value of a true salesperson!!

Cons

If you are simply looking to collect a check this company is not for you.

"Revolving Door" of New Sales People

Former Employee - Account Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at User Friendly Media

Pros

When "Top Management" of one of the larger markets allowed me to do what I do best (close sales) I not only had a small salary but an existing customer base. Great base office & tech support.

Cons

"Leadership" consists of people who have been with the company for over eight years. They have all the large to medium accounts. These people just travel around the country closing huge renewals and then, with referrals from those accounts close on other huge accounts. New sales people (a.k.a. New Business Specialists) are expected to find new business with little support. They expect you to sit in the main office on Mondays and have 20 appointments by the end of that day.....which means "no appointments" on Monday and if you do not get the 20 appointments; you have to go back to the office on Tuesday morning. Thus, if you are lucky, your sales week is Wed. to Sunday. Yet, the "old crew"/friends with the upper management can make sales calls on ANY DAY. This company is so into their internet/personal device/smart phone products yet their mode for "sales" is VERY back dated. If management would "throw out some cookies" (meaning give new people some existing accounts that are paying $5,000 a year and more) they might be able to "hold onto" sales people. What happened to the "Draw Against Commissions" with a base salary? What about reimbursing basic sales expenses like mileage and taking a client to breakfast, lunch or dinner????? Not this company.......do not believe the LIES of "first year make 64k". HORRIBLE COMPANY TO BE Associated With!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop "spinning the B.S." at sales meetings!! Stop letting the people who have been friends with the owner make 90% of your income!! If the company is so "ground breaking" in it's products....then why are the sales operation/management policy's so old?????

Great Company who cares about their Employees

Current Employee - Management in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Management in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hands down the best company I have ever worked for. Not being in a major corporation gives you a voice and everyone cares about the other like family. The corporate office is in a great location and the company has awesome fun events for the company. This company holds you accountable to be successful and allows you to work independently and will mentor you to be successful and your position is awarded based on merit and success and not on tenure. UFM also recognized you for you and your individuality and what you can bring to the table by showcasing your strengths and mentoring your weaknesses.

Cons

There are cons to ANY job! The majority of this company is SALES and we expect our sales persons to perform so we hold people accountable! If you don't want to work hard in a sales job, this isn't the job for you. IF you put in the work, you will sit back and enjoy all of the benefits to offer but it's not handed to you! The pay is a little low, that is the con BUT if you work hard, the total compensation with the commission will be worth every pain.

This is an awesome success committed company!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager South Texas in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager South Texas in McAllen, TX

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have great opportunity for growth as well as a giant footprint in 38 markets across the country.
    The print products do phenomenally well and the digital products menu to sell are cutting edge in the industry.
    They have great people to work with, which makes any company successful!

Cons

The challenges of working here are more easily overcome in selling advertising products to customers. This is because we have a great print product, supported by great digital products.

Continue the focus on making User-Friendly Media a great place to build a career.

The best company that I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Corporate in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment and friendly people make it amazing to go to work everyday. I really enjoy the challenge in helping small businesses find their marketing voice in a crowded marketplace. UFM offers a set of unique products for small businesses and a team of very knowledgable salespeople to help assist them after the sale. Every aspect of this business is rewarding and I would recommend UFM to anyone.

Cons

I don't have anything that I would consider to be a con for working at UFM in my current position and with my current team.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and team atmosphere.

Cons

They buy everyone subway sandwiches for lunch. It is great, you can have a salad, chips, apples, even a cookie. They also sponsor the YMCA Dragon boat races! Very fun place to work!

NEW BUSINESS ACCOUNT MANAGER

Current Employee - New Business Specialist
    Current Employee - New Business Specialist

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time

Pros

Great commission structure for print and digital products, fantastic health insurance and matching 401k. Paid holidays and vacations. Family friendly work schedule. Fantastic local management. Great way to build business contacts. CPM product is awesome an awesome product. Unlike a few reviews I read on here from reps who obviously could not cut it, the CPM product is getting fantastick results for my clients and ads appear on hundreds of apps and mobile sites including Pandora, Accuweather, CBS News etc.

Cons

If you are not willing to listen and be trainable you wont last long.This is a position for performers not just a job you can clock in and out of. Paperwork can be tedious and you must make sure your paperwork is complete or commissions will not be paid. Since its mostly commission based this position is not for those who like to play on Facebook. This is real work.

Local management is very responsive but corporate could do a better job of communicating Long Term Company Vision.

How much did you guys pay for your November 4th "reviews?"

Current Employee - New Business Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - New Business Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hahaha...Nothing!!! Prospective employees...look at who's writing these "reviews" before sending your résumé. Read the reviews of the real employees who've been on the front lines...

Cons

Phone book in 2014??? Are you kidding??? They want to be known as a digital media company, but every little process involves a ton of paper...about as technologically advanced as their waste-of-advertising-budget phone book!

Close up shop! It's over!!! It's almost 2015, the world has moved on!

You guys launched your phone biz in 1999...you should have been paying attention to where the world was heading, just like Google, Amazon, Ebay, Yahoo and the plethora of businesses that WERE paying attention to the marketplace and are successful and growing while you continue to run through salespeople and businesses won't give you people the time of day!! Laughable...lol

User Friendly Media Response

Nov 13, 2014Manager of Corporate Recruiting

Dear "Current" Employee,

Thank you so much for your feedback, good and bad reviews are beneficial and vital to our company and our growth. As for the reviews done on the same day, we asked our
    ... More

Good entry sales position not for long term

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Building structure for new Sales Individuals

Cons

Difficult to follow sales strategy. Trying to sell a outdated item along side new technology is not an effective marketing push. A priority of technology with the added benefit would have been a stronger direction for the company.

Great people to work with. Company having some growing pains.

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Casual environment. Some traveling. Good base pay plus commission.

Cons

Not enough product in the area. Businesses leary of trying something new at a price point above a similar established one.
    Watch out for the 89th day!

Don't expect miracles in a new market.