UserTesting

Dave Garr & Darrell Benatar

Usertesting is great!

Current Freelancer - Tester in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Tester in New York, NY

I have been working at UserTesting (less than a year)

Pros

It is easy work to do, while you are sitting at your desk. It's interesting to see different websites and has given me ideas about other things. The company is extremely reliable. They always pay exactly on time. They also take responsibilities for their own glitches and respond to needs for help when they occur.

Cons

The biggest drawback is that the web tests are designed to reach a large cross section of people so that one individual may not qualify for many tests per week. You need to move fast in order to grab the ones that you do qualify for.

Keep up the good work. I would enjoy the ability to test more often. Thanks for the opportunity!

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Client Success Coordinator in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at UserTesting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growing incredibly fast. Cares about employees. Lots of room to grow. Great people to learn from.

Cons

Office space is a little tight.

Great company culture & people

I have been working at UserTesting full-time

Pros

Such an amazing group of people. The entire staff is extremely smart, hard-working, and friendly. You can tell that people really care about their roles and how they contribute to the overall mission of the company. C-level execs are extremely approachable and employee suggestions are taken very seriously - upon submission, dialogue and changes take place immediately. Overall, an inclusive culture. There's always an after-work event - book clubs, happy hours, etc.

Some pros: pet-friendly office, cool campus-like office space, free parking, catered lunch

Cons

The company is still fairly new and growing, so the only room for improvement is in internal communication and systems.

great potential, spoiled by subversive politics and top-down policies

I worked at UserTesting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- My peers at UserTesting are some of the most intelligent and inspired people I've ever had the privilege of meeting.
    - The product and services that UserTesting offers are nothing short of inspired.
    - The founders are exceptionally kind and creative people.

Cons

Company politics are a factor in just about any workplace, but so few organizations are as strictly governed by them as UserTesting. While upper management is comprised of only a handful of individuals, they've established a precedent in which feedback is appreciated (but only the 'right' kind), advancement is possible (but only if you're a relative or a buddy of theirs), and employees can distinguish themselves (but only through unreasonably long hours).

The c-suite's reluctance to promote from within the company remains prevalent throughout the workplace. In the few instances where opportunities do arise they are almost immediately gifted to the manager's favorite worker rather than the one who was most qualified. This issue would be less relevant if the compensation were adequate, if bonus work was rewarded, and if growth opportunities were present - however given that the average workweek ranges anywhere between 50-70 hours (6am calls and weekend hours included) and that the salary is barely livable, the whole politics-pill becomes a bit too hard to swallow.

It also should be noted, to the merit of UserTesting, that hostility within the company is greatly discouraged. However if the issue pertains to a manager's misconduct or abuse of power, then HR is entirely unresponsive, if not occasionally duplicitous in their approach. This brings me to the issue of trust: at UserTesting, the rift between management and employees only grows as bottom-up feedback becomes irrelevant (ironic for a feedback driven business model). This results in very little communication between the various departments, (both to one another and internally) and sadly makes any change a slow and tedious process.

Create an environment where employees can safely and anonymously provide feedback, be granted equal opportunities, and don't have to fear the risk of punishment for offering constructive criticism (however unpopular it may be). Given how much the culture has been shifting these past few months, I would recommend that you define the new parameters concerning roles/work-hours/etc instead of waiting until someone unknowingly fails to meet the company's expectations and then faces the penalties associated for it. Instead of telling your employees to 'keep their heads down', and 'just do your job' inspire them to create and improve. Finally, I would advise that you match industry standards for pay: while cultural problems take time to fix, making employees feel valued for their work goes a long way.

Excellent people

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at UserTesting as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Worked consulting for them, and they couldn't be nicer, or smarter, or have more integrity.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Best Company I Have Worked For !!

I have been working at UserTesting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) The people. Overall an amazing group of very intelligent, kind and hardworking people. I can not stress how kind hearted and wonderful the people in this company are.
    2) Great upper management. C level executives are absolutely amazing and a pleasure to work for. They seek employee feedback and actually listen. Action is taken within a reasonable amount of time to alleviate concerns.
    3) Career growth opportunities. There's lots of growth for those who know how to find it. You'll notice there's been movement between departments for those who know where their interests are and have put in the work to prove their worth.
    4) Increase of perks: snacks, coffee trucks, lunches, dinner, onsite massages, dog-friendly office, and flexibility to work remotely when needed (benefits are improving as well)

Cons

1) Compensation is low for certain positions regardless of the effort, time and value put in.
    2) Disconnect between the SF and MV offices.

Please take note of the hours and effort put in by certain employees as well as the value they provide. Provide appropriate compensation or at the very least allow more opportunities for compensation (and career) growth.

Good Learning Experience

Current Employee - Junior User Experience Researcher
    Current Employee - Junior User Experience Researcher

I have been working at UserTesting part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation for entry level and remote position. Good experience with remote research. Flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

Sporadic working hours when you are a remote employee.

The most incredible company I've ever worked for

I have been working at UserTesting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Such a terrific company. The founders are humble and kind. They've hired a down-to-earth management team who are a lot of fun to work with. Everyone is very respectful and excited about the direction the company is heading. There isn't a person on my team I wouldn't be happy to have a drink with after work. Company values hard work but no one has to work late or feel bullied to meet their performance goals. I've personally had many opportunities to expand my responsibilities and take on new challenges over the past year since joining the company.

Cons

In a nod to their humble beginnings, many things (technology, decor, etc.) are still a little behind the times. The good news? UserTesting hasn't grown too big for its britches. There has been a general lack of commitment to creating a comfortable workspace for staff, but in the past few months this has already begun to change. Fingers crossed they continue to invest in technology and staff up so we can make UserTesting the huge success it has the potential to be.

Please keep your open door policy, and bring the 'champion for great experiences mindset' inward by investing in the right tools and support that employees need.

All around amazing experience

I have been working at UserTesting

Pros

Super patient, intelligent coworkers who are always happy to help. Nice, approachable C-levels. Great product and passionate people.

Cons

I can't really complain about anything. It's been a really good experience. Departments seem a little detached but for an outgoing person it's an easy gap to bridge.

No Brainer

Current Contractor - Tester in Remote, OR
    Current Contractor - Tester in Remote, OR

I have been working at UserTesting as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, always paid and working from home

Cons

Not enough tests to my liking but this is just a supplement to my income.

UserTesting Photos