UserTesting.com

Updated June 29, 2014
Updated June 29, 2014
3.9

Dave Garr & Darrell Benatar

Great way to make extra money.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at UserTesting.com

Pros

I'm able to work from home. I can choose my own time to work. It's relatively easy work.

Cons

The evaluations get snagged by other evaluators very quickly because it's a first come first serve basis. The work is hard to come by.

A poor rating can limit an evaluators chance to receive more work. Please don't just take the company's side of the story and not the evaluators.

Engaging work environment

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People here are genuinely excited about their work. We have a lot of autonomy, and management takes suggestions seriously. People are always sharing interesting, challenging new ideas. Unlike previous jobs I've had, I wake up excited to get to work on my projects. The culture is very casual and welcoming.

Cons

The company is growing really fast (which is good), but sometimes it feels like we're outgrowing ourselves. We're running out of space in both our Mountain View and San Francisco locations.

Hot company, awesome coworkers, great product and customer service. Lacks diversity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time

Pros

- Great company that is on the rise
    - Everyone loves our product and customer service.
    - Amazing co-workers. Many of us are workaholics.
    - Our engineers and designers are cool and truly nice people.
    - We don't waste our money on fancy stuff, as management is looking long term.
    - Senior management is smart and has a great long-term vision for our enterprise services.

Cons

- Nepotism. Sometimes it feels like a family business. At UserTesting, it certainly doesn't hurt to be old friends with the executives or related to them.
    - Like most tech companies, UserTesting lacks diversity, especially in management. 6 in 7 executives are white men.
    - Non-engineers are paid on the low-end, particularly our UX Research Team.
    - Could be better communication between Sales, Product, and Client-facing teams. The company is taking strides to work on this as a whole.
    - Like most tech companies, need more engineers. Hoping we can bring on more engineers to keep up with the huge demand for our web & mobile user research platform.
    - Our offices are cramped, and we're all spread out in different offices within a complex.

Promote more diversity, show more appreciation to UX Research team -- in terms of opportunities with our own product & salary.

Fantastic culture, rapid growth, powerful product

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's the best company I've ever worked for. If you're a hard working self starter you'll get noticed and rewarded.

Employees are encouraged to follow their ambitions, try things out, and work across teams.

Work / Life balance is protected.

Cons

The company has 5x as many employees as it did 2 years ago. This growth has lead to communication and organization challenges.

They've built something really special. Clearer vision might allow for more focus and efficiency.

A company that feels like family

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The two things I love most about UserTesting are the people and the culture.

The people here are ridiculously nice, smart and hard-working. Folks are a pleasure to work with and it really feels like we're in this together.

The culture is great because it feels like family. All of us are free to be ourselves.

Cons

UserTesting has the same challenges as any other fast-growing startup. Now that we're getting bigger we need to spend more time thinking about ways to encourage communication between our different departments.

Great potential, but very disappointing to work here

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

UserTesting is awesome because they make a great product and the c-level executives are brilliant. The company culture is fun and relaxed. For most roles you can set your own hours, have a lot of authority over your projects, and there are adorable dogs!

Cons

There is a huge disconnect between the brilliant people and ideas in the c-level suite and the reality of the day to day, largely because no one is communicating effectively (and this disconnect only gets broadened because of a few bad apples in upper management). There is terrible communication between departments and (depending on your department) terrible communication within your department. No one is on the same page about what direction we are headed (or how we are going to get there), which results in a lot business politics because you have to cater to everyone's agendas.

Additionally, the company theoretically makes up for their subpar salaries with learning and growth opportunities, but the emphasis is so on the bottom line that no one has time to learn or grow. What's worse is that they don't reward anyone for actually living up to their absurd standards and timelines. Everyone burns out in 6 months to a year.

All of which makes working here exhausting because we've created a situation in which it is impossible to improve ourselves or the company.

Get everyone one on the same page and talking to each other - then clean house and get rid of anyone who doesn't share your goals and vision of the company.

It's got its ups and downs

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great company culture and atmosphere: the people and location are aces!
    - Not to mention that the service and tool are spectacular.
    - There are some chances for bonuses every quarter.
    - Flexible work hours, and the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

- The client-facing team members are underpaid and overworked. As UT is shifting its business model, it's leaning heavier on these teams and demanding more from them, without providing any additional training or income.
    - Weekend work is sometimes required to meet client demands, and there is no overtime pay.
    - Like most startups, the structure of the various teams is always shifting. The company isn't great at defining the existing roles, or letting employees know how those roles change over time.
    - There's not a lot of room for advancement in the Research and Client Success roles, and the company doesn't seem like it's interested in helping workers find better jobs or utilizing their skills to the fullest.
    - Mid-level leadership seems open to receiving feedback, but is very slow to react to it.
    - The client-facing roles (CSMs, CSCs, ULT members, Researchers) get almost no face time with the VP/C-levels. The employees in those roles hesitate to approach them with concerns or complaints, because there is little to no indication of how they would react.

- Define the roles in your various departments - what they are now, and what you want them to be in the future. Knowing how management defines our roles will help us understand how we contribute to the company, and what we can do to make the company better in the days to come. "Make it work" is NOT a helpful directive.
    - Encourage open communication between the departments. What happened to the weekly Top 3?

UX research is challenging and rewarding. However, salary is less than deserved and company lacks transparency.

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture of the research team is phenomenal; teamwork and feedback are essential aspects of the job.

The company at large is filled with bright, dedicated, and hardworking individuals.

Great as an introduction to the field of UX research. The variety of projects completed as a UX Researcher is impressive and provides great experience in the field

Constant improvement is core to working at UserTesting . You are given the autonomy to get the job done and excel.

Cons

The lack of transparency in the company leaves employees questioning managerial structure, direction, and vision of the company.

Communication between departments needs to be improved in order to provide and evolve the product efficiently and with clear direction.

The workload researchers are expected to tackle is enormous; which often requires working overtime and completing work at home.

Despite how much the research team contributes to the company at large, the research team is not appreciated by senior management as an integral aspect of the company.

Salaries are inadequate. A 48K salary is not enough compensate the amount of work and stress involved as a UX researcher.

There is a distinct lack of career advancement opportunities as a UX researcher.

-Solidify managerial structure and vision; strive for transparency.
    -Improve communication between departments.
    -Increase researchers' salaries to encourage growth and advancement within the company.
    -Develop career opportunities for researchers.

Growing faster than it can manage.

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are, without question, the easiest people to get along with in all of Silicon Valley. Everyone is smart, fun, clever, and nice.

Cons

Every initiative is merely a hurried reaction because no one has the time/experience to be successfully proactive in any endeavor. Management/staffing decisions are made using a system of nepotism and WILDLY visible favoritism. Senior Management attempts to perform "approachable," but it's clear that very little employee feedback is ever valued or acted upon. And the pay is laughable at best.

Become infinitely better at listening/reacting to employee feedback; adopt a realistic understanding of what kind of compensation it takes to hire and retain valuable employees in the Bay Area AND how to otherwise show them that they're appreciated and valued. Hire management consultants to help instead of merely promoting the same family of affable but ultimately inexperienced "bros" who consistently cannot separate ego from decision-making processes.

Great culture. Great People. Great Product.

I have been working at UserTesting.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Whenever I tell people what my company does, they immediately get it and think it's a great idea.

Cons

Office space is kind of crowded and groups are split up among several offices.

Invest more in engineering.

UserTesting.com Photos