Utah Department of Technology Services

CEO

1. Promote Techies to be Managers when they Shouldnt

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Job security. Low pressure.

Cons

Biggest issue with this agency is that they promote techies to be supervisors and the supervisors do little more than push paper. Need visionary management with skills in team building. Also need to clear out the workers who do nothing.

2. Overall, good experience

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have learned more here than I ever did in any other position. My supervisors have been awesome and patient with my learning curve. I work in a quiet office and am left alone, which is something I enjoy. My schedule is super flexible. I worked 5x8 for the first couple months and then they allowed me to switch to 4x10. The folks that work here are very talented.

Cons

The pay stinks. It is 50% of the fair market national and about 70% of the Utah market. They try to sell you on the "benefits" but when you can't pay your bills, afford a vacation, etc, is your pension or medical plan really going to fill that gap?

Also, movement within the organization seems to be near impossible. It doesn't appear that being a current employee gets you any points.

Advice to Management

I'd say increase your payroll but with all the oversight and red tape, that probably wont happen. C'est la vie.

3. Working for the state of utah

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Benefits, job stability, time off.

Cons

Pay, not flexible, no way to advance DTS charges outrages rates to other state entity's then pays there employees 1/3 of what they charge.

5. Cold lifeless organization that has no vision and doesn't care about the employees

Current Employee - LAN Administrative II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - LAN Administrative II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a stable job that has good health benefits. You never have to worry about whether or not you are getting your paycheck.

Cons

The department really doesn't care about you at all. Management has supervisor mentality instead of any shred of leadership. It is a really disconnected department that is distant from anything that concerns the employees.

Advice to Management

Get a vision and empower the employees to be part of it.

6. Working here is like taking a time machine back 150 years with regard to HR practices.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time

Pros

Fairly good benefits...that is all.

Cons

Managers are dictators, power-hungry, control freaks. there are 7-8 layers of management. Employee salaries are very broad, even if they do the exact same thing day-by-day. Long-time employees have worked themselves into a niche where they do little. Newer employees who receive pittance do all the work and get all the blame for problems. No training. Expected to be up to speed on day 1. Management has said that things won't change and if you don't like it, leave.

Office is exactly the same since building was built 27 years ago. Carpet, furniture etc. Chairs are extremely uncomfortable for 10-hour day.

Zero trust. Professionals treated like teenagers.

Advice to Management

Wake up!