Utah Valley University

Utah Valley University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Real world experience, great mentors!

Web Tech and Applications Developer (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsLearned a lot of useful skills relating to my field
    Great flexibility, I was able to work another job and they were very flexible to work with that schedule
    Very convenient to go to work after taking classes

ConsLow wages, but that's to be expected for an entry level educational job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could have used a little more review and correctional adjustments. I wasn't sure at times how I was doing and where things could improve. Working in a position in my career path, that would have been very beneficial.

Very political decision making

Dining Services Management (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsGood benefit package, health insurance, vacation, sick leave, free tuition for employee and family

ConsManagement had need to assigning blame to others, could make decisions on sound business practice's made too many decision on how someone felt. One complaint could change established policy, without thinking through the ramifications of the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into account the business practices taught in the school of business, realize that out of 30000 people on campus someone may have a complaint but does it out weigh all the procedures set in place.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

UVU

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsGood work/life balance and the people are usually genuine and friendly.

ConsThe university is not really that great at training its managers and leaders in how to manage and lead. There is poor accountability and HR is terrible at addressing employees complaints and issues. Also, like most higher education or government jobs, the salary is fairly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart running the university like a university, not like a small town college.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a growing great institution.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a nice place to work.

ConsIt is a good institution and to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has good management.

Awesome

Desktop Support (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsWorked with great people in the Woodbury School of Business

ConsIt was only part time

Bring out the penguins!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, perks, holidays, PTO, vacation

ConsLow pay, low salary, Beyonce

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Slow at moving forward with anything or granting permission to move ahead.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsGreat benefits. Many of the people are very nice to work with. The location is lovely. Many of the faculty are forward-thinking and great to provide services for.

ConsTrying to get anything accomplished. Could just have been my department, but staff feel okay about taking off whenever they feel like it, even if it's at the busiest time of year. They feel little obligation to the people they work with to ensure enough coverage for the unit. Pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions and move forward.

An excellent college experience

Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsYou get to work with well trained staff and employees. Have the opportunity to help students.

ConsSometimes there are weird hours depending on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with all the employees that are under you.

It has been a great Job

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsI have been working there for 25 years and have enjoyed the students that I have been able to work with over the years.

ConsNeed a more competitive salary

Advice to Senior Managementkeep beefing up the compensation...

Good for students, not a career

Hourly Non-faculty (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsFlexible hours, nice environment, quite a few employee perks i.e discounts for on-campus clinic visits

ConsHiring practices are an equal employment nightmare waiting to happen, most administrators are [unqualififed] females; the pre-employment requirements for part-time, $9.00/hr positions are hugely inflated, bachelor's/master's degree is required for menial, go-nowhere positions (not gainful employment), and advancement/career-ladder is unheard of

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of your rigid hiring practices. There are talented folks out there that can challenge your little work "realm" and change it for the better. Administration is overpaid for a job not-well-done, maintaining the status quo is the name of the game

Worked for Utah Valley University? Contribute to the Community!