Utica College

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Todd S. Hutton

Heading straight for the iceberg

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsGood people and students. Friendly and informal work culture. Acceptable facilities. Campus has a business casual, neighborhood-y feel to it.

ConsFinancially the school is on very thin ice. Lots of behind-the-scenes politics that protects low-performing faculty and administrators. Longtime employees disappear, never to return, quickly and for no apparent reason. The faculty itself is being systematically hollowed out through non-replacement of quitting/retiring full-time faculty members. These vacancies are being filled by a small army of adjuncts who are paid far less than full-time faculty. Class sizes are swelling every semester. It's becoming a glorified community college. The future is bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of doubling down on online education, where UC will struggle to compete with more well-known schools, perhaps we could double down on regional recruitment for on-ground students?

Highly polarized student, teacher, administration dynamic.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Utica, NY

ProsUnique degree programs. Growing programs in niche areas. SOME talented instructors.

ConsNot real standards for qualifying new students. Highly evident tuition and enrollment takes priority over academic achievement. Haphazardly designed coursework and with little standardization between classes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP growing the programs and start making the degrees rigorous. The school is obviously shoveling in more students than required and these students aren't the highest caliber. Both undergraduate and graduate students require NO standardized testing (i.e. SAT or GRE). The end result is students that want a diploma and a school that is eager to hand it out.

typical treatment of adjunct instructors at colleges/universities

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Utica, NY

ProsThe students, while lacking skills as students, are wonderfully genuine people.

ConsTerrible pay. No interaction with other faculty. No one cared at all what I was doing with these students. I had no office space at all in which to meet students.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Offce

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Utica, NY

ProsI love the people here that I work with.

ConsMy boss is incompetent. Ruining the department I work in.

Black Hole

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)

ProsNice friendly people and great leadership from the President.

ConsGosspip, backdoor deals, impossible to get anything accomplished unless you have the support of the president's office.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster innovative ideas from the bottom up. There are people within the college that have great ideas but, they never see the day of light because of a status quo environment.

Good place to work

ProsStudents and Staff are great. We get a generous amount of time off.

ConsConstant flux. People stress over nothing, and make small things major catastrophes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff.

Worked for Utica College? Contribute to the Community!