Utiliquest

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis Tarosky

It has its ups and downs, just like any other job.

ProsIf you like working on your own, without managers and supervisors micromanaging your every move, this is a good place.

ConsDepending up what you want in life, the money and time invested into this position reflect the quality of life you will have.

Always hiring because turnover is extremely high.

Field Technician (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThey teach you most of what you need to know to perform "simple" locates in the new hire class. You're given a company truck and gas card. No previous experience in utilities is needed.

ConsYou are told/expected to access every utility structure (handhole, subbox, pole riser, manholes) near the given work area, but most field techs are not given all the equipment needed to perform the locate properly. You end up calling and waiting on other techs to bring the needed equipment wasting a lot of time or cutting corners to keep your productivity up.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees and their tools. Field Techs are underpaid and given low quality tools to work with. Cheap tools break too often and low wages lead field techs to lose respect for office management and overall the job.

if you enjoy being lied to

Utility Locator (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

Prosyou get a company truck,and gas card

Conslong hours mostly off the clock, no hours in the winter, does not pay for holidays, most of the supervisors do not belong in the position, office managers do not care about locators.

Advice to Senior Managementif you came from the field then i suggest you get back out there because it is impossible to locate 2 tickets per hour and locate them the right way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy, but great overall

Utility Locator (Former Employee) Shreveport, LA

ProsI like that they give you responsibility and let your work yourself with very little micromanaging. As long as you get yout tickets done, you are squared away.

ConsSometimes when the ticket load got high and things got stressful, they would be pretty unforgiving of you not being able to complete all of your work. They wouldnt even let your work overtime, you were expected to do double the tickets in the same amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people, it seemed that there were always too many tickets for the workers we had, made for a stressful environment.

Don't give it you're all

Damage Prevention Tech (Current Employee) Hayward, CA

ProsCompany vehicle, lots of overtime, great with no family

ConsThat Darn Drive cam in you're face every turn you take. little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example stop smoking in you're vehicle, be fair you're running guys away. Thats why you're always in court. Pay more attention to Locating and not the cam.

Its ok

Damage Prevention Tech (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsTake home vehicle,can work close to home.meet some good people
    Benefits.

ConsOncall micro manage drive cams your just a number

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth get rid of drivecams,, lost alot of good locators due to stupid reasons
    Alot of lazy supervisers who dont answer thier phone

Long hours. Good incentive pay if you're talented.

Damage Prevention Tech (Current Employee)

ProsNice full insurance benefit package. Company take-home truck. Gas paid. Insurance Paid.
    Very good compensation if you produce more than average due to the incentive pay program. $500 bonus if you're damage/ error free for a full calendar year.

ConsLong Hours. Must work in harsh weather sometimes. 24/7 emergency on-call once every 8 weeks. Alot of walking. Outdoor hazards, bee stings, falling objects, construction sites.
    sometimes angry homeowners.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth.

Two faced liars

Field Check Auditor (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsI liked the people that I worked with, very friendly and concerned with doing a great job

ConsSupervisor is an A** kisser

Advice to Senior ManagementActually fulfill what you promise

The longer I was there, the less impressed I became with the skills of upper management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Atlanta, GA

ProsYou were on your own as far as dealing with clients, which was fine, since I had the experience. I also had priveleges monetarily (to a limit) when settling claims.

ConsNever received the credit for settling the claims with clients or customers that I thought was deserved. Did not receive a raise the last two years due to upper management's poor decisions rumming the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on "pie in the sky" technologies that end up not working in the field. Get out of your comfy offices and get in the field for a day to see what it's like!!

Not a place I would recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople, coworkers. That's about it.

ConsLack of leadership and communication. Dominated by parent company Dycom, hard to get anything production accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and career advancement opportunities. Listen to your employees.

Worked for Utiliquest? Contribute to the Community!