Utiliquest Reviews

3.2
Dennis Tarosky

1. Great opportunity for focused people

I worked at Utiliquest full-time

Pros

you will be provided with everything you require from reflective vests, New name brand work boots, all locating equipment and more.

Cons

was working there for quite some time and found that it was a great way to promote myself to the point I was able to move on to new adventures, a step that would not have been possible had I not taken the chance to learn something new, therefore increasing my overall value to myself and my employer(s).

Advice to Management

Communication is Key, remember everyone knowledge is most valuable when shared

Good starter job with paid training.

Current Employee - Damage Prevention Technician in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Damage Prevention Technician in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at Utiliquest full-time

Pros

Great people, enjoyable work, decent benefits package, fully paid training, company truck with gas card. Work independently with minimal supervision. Managers/supervisors leave you alone as long as you are getting the job done.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover rate. Good job if you are younger and still live with family, but if you are on your own or trying to support a family, you'd better have a side job or a second income provider.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees a bit better and you will retain some of the good people that are constantly leaving for better pay. Hire people and take their previous job experience into account rather than hiring people just to have bodies.

3. Fun and Challenging

I have been working at Utiliquest full-time

Pros

No two days are ever the same and it's definitely not boring! There is a lot to learn and if you are self-motivated, enjoy figuring things out and like working on your own, then this is a great job! Having a company vehicle with paid gas is a plus, too. I love that I learn something more each day and get more efficient at it, as well. There isn't any down time so the days go by fast. I love being outside all day and not cooped up with a manager breathing down my neck. You have the freedom and at the same time, they are in touch and keeping track of your production--which is a good thing.

Cons

Not given a lot of leeway to learn. Once you are on your own, there is only a short grace period where they give you time to figure things out, then you are given jobs that you have no idea how to do. Each supervisor is different, so maybe they aren't all that way, but can seem like all they care about is getting job done at any cost--like your safety. Otherwise, there aren't a lot of cons. The pay is kind of low and I have to work 60 hours a week to get a decent check. When you work all of the time and are that tired, there is no opportunity to spend money so there you go!

Advice to Management

To find a way to get the contractors to detail their excavation scopes. Locators could do twice as many tickets if the contractors actually took a minute to define where they are working instead of automatically calling in an entire property when they are only excavating in one small area. Also making locators mark a ticket anyway when the construction has already been completed. Big waste of time. Would be easier to keep employees if they weren't so overloaded and were given the time to learn what they need to in order to become a fast and accurate locator. It's impossible to be both when you first start--I lie awake at night worrying that I marked a utility correctly because I was given way too many jobs and had to rush through them. I think it is unsafe to have your employees, who have so many tickets, work in the dark trying to finish them. Pay a little more and hire more techs so the ones you have don't get burned out and cause a damage.

5. Utility Locator

Current Employee - Utility Locator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Utility Locator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Utiliquest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New equipment, lots of hours, sign on bonus for experienced locators in Denver. Engaged CEO (he actually came out to Denver and will just talk with locators). Relatively good pay for a locator. Better than the company I came from in Denver.

Cons

New in Denver, so a lot of work getting set up. Don't really like drivecam, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. Benefits could be better, but these days no company has really good benefits.

Advice to Management

Look at improving benefits a bit. Hire more people in Denver.

Great Opportunity to learn a new skill

Current Employee - Locator
    Current Employee - Locator

I have been working at Utiliquest (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like working here because I get to learn a new skill for free. Paid Training. They gave us equipment, trucks and tools to do the work. The company gives us boots, jackets and shirts. They are growing and there's room for advancement. They really care about the employees. I like getting overtime and on call pay. If you do what you are supposed to do, you will be fine here.

Cons

No real cons with working here. The company is always busy and there is plenty of work to do.

7. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Utility Locator
    Former Employee - Utility Locator

I worked at Utiliquest (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working independently outside and in different locations makes for an exciting job.

Cons

When the company loses bids on contracts, work slows down.

8. It's just locating

Current Employee - Utility Locator in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Utility Locator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Utiliquest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be your own boss

Cons

We can't keep good people

Advice to Management

None

9. It's a job

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Utiliquest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guaranteed hours and option of overtime during peak season.

Cons

Took away sick time and some PTO. Stress too much on production rather than quality. Pay is ok, better than retail.

Advice to Management

If you 're going to change policies grandfather over from when you were hired in and wait until the start of the year to implement.

10. Underpaid, bad corporate management, otherwise good and steady.

Current Employee - Damage Prevention Tech in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Damage Prevention Tech in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Utiliquest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes enough OT to make up for bad pay, but had a bad year that balanced out to 40hr/wk average with slow winters and only slightly busy summers. You are 90% on your own, if you do everything right and work hard you're left alone except for bi-weekly tailgate meetings. Get to take home your work truck and use for quick errands on the way home or to work. Easy work, sometimes very physical, sometimes 90% driving and 10% non-physical work. Paid training (which is way too long and doesn't teach/prepare you for the most part).

Cons

Frequent policy changes that come from corporate, often wasting time and company money. Pay is terrible for the work and once you find out what locators from the utility companies make it's depressing. Camera in trucks, can be fired for multiple infractions of policy. Management always looking for someone to point the finger at, even when it's not necessary. Issued equipment is incredibly low quality, especially the computer tablet. Software is utter crap, whoever is in charge of IT is either also underpaid or not qualified.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp training, no need for 2 months of inconsistent training. Performance bonuses (and a decent raise) would make a lot of techs happy and motivate others to improve. Get rid of safety tests, cover them in tailgate meetings. Invest in better equipment, trucks, and technology. Don't make rules that waste time and money, such as locating a finished job or approved shallow jobs.

11. It has its ups and downs, just like any other job.

I have been working at Utiliquest (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working on your own, without managers and supervisors micromanaging your every move, this is a good place.

Cons

Depending up what you want in life, the money and time invested into this position reflect the quality of life you will have.

RSS Feed </> Embed