Utopia

Utopia Reviews

Updated Mar 17, 2014

Arvind J. Singh

Fast Paced, Dynamic, Forward thinking experiences around data & strategy

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee)
    Mundelein, IL

ProsHard working team members, great company vision, cutting edge solutions, great learning environment. Very visionary company, driven mostly by the caliber of people who work there. Great place to work if you're focused and passionate about master data solutions for high-end enterprise clients around the globe. Some excellent Managers, and good ability to be heard, since the company is still small enough that all our opinions are valued (it doesn't mean that everything that is suggested is implemented of course, but the company does listen!). Quite cutting edge around master data too, with some great services and in-house development teams to keep the delivery teams on task and at the forefront of what is best for our clients.

ConsStrategic decisions have sometimes seemed to shift 'mid flow' which can be frustrating. Since the company is global, but still quite small, people need to be adaptable to sometimes unusual working hours to provide support to team members not in their timezone (not an issue for me, but it can be for some).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you make a decision, think it through more carefully before making it public knowledge, and then stick with it and move forward more proactively and aggressively so that timelines are not delayed and the needle 'moves' quicker!

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Run, do not Walk!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has some very smart people who want to make a difference and take the company to the next level.

ConsThey are prevented from doing this because of the familial relationships that exist within the company. The company has lost credibility with SAP, their largest partner. What is promised to customers oftentimes cannot be delivered. Marketing solutions for which core competencies or solid solutions do not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic about what it takes to grow a company. Understand the sales cycle and do not over promise customers and under-deliver. Be honest with your board of directors. Follow through.

Over promised and Under delivered - with employees, clients and investors

Sales (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat services pitch to clients - even though they have very few references, or clients that will stand up on their behalf. SAP relationship was good - not the case any longer

ConsFounders lied to employees, customers and investors on a regular basis. Over inflated the number of employees reported, sales being attained and how successful customers were by using Utopia's services. At some point legalities and ethics are blurred.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome clean with everyone on what you really achieve as a business.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is on an Out-of-Business Trajectory - Avoid at all cost

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsLet me see....focus on Data was a strength.

ConsMissed opportunity with SAP; have missed the market and have lost their way with their biggest partner (SAP).
    Financial situation prevents investment in solutions or talent.
    Have drifted to simply a staff/aug model where they subcontract essentially all skills.
    Executive leadership has already cashed in from investors (FTV Capital), little skin in the game
    Investors control the company yet the founders won't leave.
    Founders are the companies biggest weakness.
    Worst compensation/benefits package in my history as an executive in the industry

A good place to work and an enjoyable environment.

Mundelein, IL

ProsI've worked at Utopia for almost 3 years. This is the first time during my career I had a chance to work for a company that is so comfortable providing access to the senior management leading the company. It is a dynamic organization and full of challenges and rewards. Working at Utopia has provided me the opportunity to work in a global organization that's provided me with not just growth but multiple promotions and chances to expand my skill set. I've also seen first-hand the amount of care taken to make decisions that are balanced with the best interest of the employees and company.
    Over the course of my career I've had the chance to work for companies both large and small. Utopia is the best company by far when I look at the work I've been able to do, the people I've had a chance to learn from, and the investment made in me and my success as a professional. I've not only recommended people that have been hired but plan to have a long and rewarding career with Utopia

ConsGlobal schedules can be a challenge during high peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should continue to challenge themselves to be transparent and have a free flow of information. Keep listening to your employees and responding with thoughtful positions that address the root cause of any concerns brought to your attention.

Continuously lie to employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Mundelein, IL

ProsConsultants are pleasant to work with

ConsNo projects. People sit on the "bench" until they are eventually fired. The company has about 6 consultants left after layoffs. All sr consultants and PMs have long ago jumped ship!
    Beware if you are not billable, you will be next on the layoff list!

Don't believe the lies about this company being so great. Dozens have been let go without warning and reasoning

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the lies. You know the ship is sinking

Challenging, Hard Work but a Thrill!

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Mundelein, IL

ProsI have never learnt so much from a single company. Utopia has the kind of environment where if you work hard, you will be recognized for your hard work. I have seen some comments saying that our company favors Indian resources - I don't believe this is true (I am not Indian, and I love it here), it's just that so many of the resoruces we need on the delivery side, happen to be of Indian descent. If you like to learn, to be challenged, to showcase your innovation and adaptability, and want to work for a company that does listen to it's employees - then you should come and join us. If you want to sit at your desk from 8-5pm, watch the clock, and play on facebook - you shouldn't come! Ultimately, if you work hard you will be rewarded for it, and if you don't, well... ultimately you'll be walking back out of the door either of your own choice, or ours!

ConsIf you don't like hard work, or are not adaptable - this company would be a bad fit for you. As a growing global organization, Utopia staff are expected to be available outside of regular office hours at times for meetings etc with other teams across the globe.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency and Frankness are key to building trust with employees and external companies (Clients / Vendors / Partners) alike. At Utopia this also applies, I know upper management are trying, but I suspect more could be done in this area, but it's not as showstopper for me - I think this becomes more and more challenging to manage as the company continues to grow!

Great energy and momentum with lots of opportunity for Growth!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsUtopia has grown from 50 to 500 people in just over 4 years time. Lot's of opportunities to grow your career. Plenty of smart thoughtful people from HR to delivery, solutions, management and sales/marketing. I've learned more in the last 4 years here than I did in the 10 years at much bigger companies.

ConsDistributed working environment and lots of projects going on - not really a con, but you must be forward thinking and communicate effectively with folks in many locations....which we do. Again, not really a con, but part of any workforce today.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the core competencies, core industries, core solutions, core geographies to continue to fuel this amazing growth and success!

Run as fast asyou can!

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Mundelein, IL

ProsThe only thing I like about this place is free lunch.
    They also provided training with no instructor and if you can learn on your own. It's great. If not..your screwed.

ConsI am a recent grad and although this is my first job, I do not believe an organization should run like this. They promised me a fufillinf job as a data consultant. I have been sitting on the bench for 4 months..playing video games and being on facebook all day. Although this may sound fun and ideal...the company cut my pay in the first month. They put me on two projects and before I even started, gave them to the Indian guys..by the way they get all the work. The only manager that I actually liked, quit...and then all of the managers started quitting. We really do not have a HR team to voice our complaints and the CEO said he didn't care about his employees in a meeting. The morale of this company is really low.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of the managers are quitting

DMC at Utopia

Data Migration Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsFree daily lunch
    Good training for coming consultants
    Easy-going life
    Trainers aren't strict with you, and somewhat patient

ConsLittle to no work, some are sitting on the bench for 3+ months.
    People are fired without warning or reasoning even after moving themselves and their families to the area.
    No career growth opportunities, the same ones get promoted over and over again!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring more employees when the current ones have nothing to do.

Worked for Utopia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Utopia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Utopia CEO Arvind J. Singh. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Utopia employees.