Utz Quality Foods Reviews

1. New management-new sheriff syndrome

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Utz Quality Foods part-time

Pros

got stale product for free

Cons

New mang. tried to manage by intimidation

Advice to Management

can't treat people that way and expect good results!

bad management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frazer, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frazer, PA

I worked at Utz Quality Foods (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work independently is good

Cons

long hours, no help, management acts like they want to be your friend but will stab you in the back.

3. Route sales

Former Employee - Route Sales in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Route Sales in Waldorf, MD

Pros

The only good thing about this job are the coworkers

Cons

Bad leadership,no communication ,overall bad company.

Advice to Management

Pay raise

5. Long hours, low wages

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Hanover, PA

I have been working at Utz Quality Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best management I've ever had, they're always there to back you up - You can make good friends down on the route - Trading with other vendors - Job security: During the recession, the company continued to grow. - Seriously though, I love my managers.

Cons

- No work/life balance: You'll be working 50-60 hours a week - Low commission, in comparison to other route salesmen - Driving in terrible weather - Getting up between 2-3am. - No real room for advancement: Supervisors still run routes, they're just responsible for more than one.

Advice to Management

Supervisors should be more than glorified route jumpers.

Cheap,Unethical, Sneaky

I worked at Utz Quality Foods full-time

Pros

A decent schedule is all i can say as a positive.

Cons

When told you receive 10 percent they do not inform every price is different per store. Some stores receive 31 cents per bag while others receive 18 for the same work. Based on Utz contact after 2 years of service you receive 5 paid days and 1 personal day. What they don't tell you is, if you leave even after the 2 years are up, they don't pay you for those days until sometime in March. So whether you worked their more then 2 years you will not receive any vacation pay if you leave before March. Utz also doesn't mention if you leave before 2 years of service all contribution they made into your 401k goes back to them. Over 2 years receives 20 percent of what the company contributed. Don't bother calling HR either, they will refuse to send your original contract unless you have a lawyer. Don't bother giving 2 weeks. They will tell you to just turn in your stuff that day and wont shake your hand or thank you for your service. Very disrespectful and unprofessional. In all close to 3,000 dollars was kept by UTZ instead of giving it to the employee who earned it. Based on my experiences the company is rude, unprofessional, sneaky, unethical, and down right cheap. They don't care about their employees safety as long as they get their money.

Advice to Management

Do your part. Sitting in an office all day unless you have to does nothing for your drivers or company. Issues brought up should be handled not given back to the route driver to handle.

7. Like a freaking roller coaster ride......

Former Employee - Route Sales Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Utz Quality Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was fun in the beginning working there as I started off as a route sales representative in Manassas and moved my way up to route sales supervisor within 6 months. You get to work on your own, see different people at various stores from time to time. While in Manassas under the leadership I loved it there and thought every location was like this one....but

Cons

I asked for a transfer to Chesapeake to be closer to my family in Virginia Beach. My first few days there were okay, but I should have known something was up when employees tell you to watch your back around here. Me being new I was....okay! My first encounter that this place was run like a concentration camp is when the person in charge of me there said something to me about my shirt not being tucked in. I asked him who said something about that because the whole time I was in Manassas no one ever said anything about a shirt being tucked in. I asked to see the policy on it and the policy didn't say anything about the shirt being tucked in just making sure the employee is in uniform....for which I was everyday. The second incident of "my way or the highway tactics" came when the actual person in charge of the area down there said something to me about the arrival time needs to be at 5:15 am but clearly he was only painting it towards me because other drivers and supervisors sometimes were coming in later than that posted time as well. So, I remember calling HR the first time to address this problem and she at that time stated this was no company wide time for arrival to the warehouse....so he sort of left me be for...now. A few other incidents may have occurred but small or insufficient. I was running a route early Nov 2014 and had sent a text to the other supervisors and an ex Supervisor just venting about the current situation at our warehouse....the following is that text: We have a serious problem here when upper management can't hop on a route to cover it regardless of a sick person or call out. I see it as lazy, but these are the people were suppose to look up to guidance and leadership. .....what a Joke! Be a man and grow a pair, and stop being scared to stand up for what's right. That was the exact text and they suspended me for speaking my mind and later fired me for being as the person in charge down there for the area said "not trust worthy, not being a team player"....in other words I wouldn't kiss his butt or play by his rules. I have run into a lot of ex employees in the Hampton Roads area and they all ask the same question is that loser still in charge over there? I don't know how, or who he knows, or what he has over someone to keep his job as long as he has. Well, good luck to you if you ever decide to go work at this location in Chesapeake as long as he is there. He must have forgotten about me by now, but I haven't forgotten about him and I'll be seeing him in court for wrongful termination down the road. A former employee wanted to use me as a potential witness and he told the lady I was a hostile witness.....lol .Like I said before what a joke he is.

Advice to Management

If you're serious about these feedbacks....you need to get rid of that person in Chesapeake that is in charge and turn the morale around down there. There are some good guys down there just need a new leader and new ideas to motivate them.

8. great job

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

Pros

freedom, free chips, hot chicks at work

Cons

long hours low pay, early mornings

Advice to Management

dont do it

Don't work here

Current Employee - Route Salesperson in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Route Salesperson in Frederick, MD

Pros

There are no pros here I guess it's a job but no one needs a job bad enough to work here but here is a pro if you are a complete idiot you will be certainly promoted to management

Cons

The pay is not good The management is not qualified They expect a lot for nothing

Advice to Management

You should all quit because you don't know what you are doing

It's Not Worth It

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Utz Quality Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay Self Reliant Work Free Junk Food

Cons

They have no respect for your personal time. If it's your day off or hours after you finished working for the day, if they call you, you're expected to work. Raise any concern on the matter and all you'll get is a "Sorry, that's the way it is." Since it's a commission based position, working 12 hour days is very common. The paychecks look good, but after working 60 hour weeks, you may find that you're getting paid just over minimum wage for all your work. Some of the clients were nice, however with the larger stores, you'll find that same lack of respect for your personal time where a company will expect you to wait for hours before they allow you to assemble a display. If you ask management for help with a particularly lengthy task, more often than not they'll tell you that you can handle it yourself. If one of your stops doesn't want a display, expect your regional manager to blame you for not trying hard enough.

Advice to Management

Listen and act upon your employees concerns Offer more assistance Don't call so much. Unless it's vital to the survival of the company, it can wait until your route sales reps are actually working.

11. Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

I worked at Utz Quality Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Run route at your own pace.

Cons

Long days during summer months.

Advice to Management

Pay increase.

RSS Feed </> Embed