VA Health

VA Health Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

VA Health Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki

Eric K. Shinseki

Pros:
  • "Good governmental employer----stable job security"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Love working with Vets, great benefits, better pay than most"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a lot of red tape to deal with, but that is to be expected working for a government agency"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There can be a lot of red tape and beaurocracy"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It all depends on the local leadership

Staff Psychiatrist (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

Prosnot the best pay, but generous time off and educational opportunities; good ancillary support services although many vets are frustrated by the time it takes to access services

Consbig, slow to change agency with some annoying policies that must be followed even though they don't apply to local conditions; leadership can be out of touch with daily working conditions and more concerned with publicity than actual quality of service

Wonderful getting to know Veterans from different eras

Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThe best reasons to work for the VA would be, benefits, friendships, education in the work place and meeting Veterans from different eras. I found that everyday I worked, I was blessed with getting to know a Veteran from a different time and I really enjoyed the stories they shared.

ConsManagement was a difficult pill to swallow. In the surveys that were put out, they wanted you to let them know about the management. However, I had been there long enough to actually do a survey and look for results or changes before the next survey and unfortunately, there were no changes in management for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get new, fresh minded, think out of the box people. Sometimes I think people are in a place to long and need to move around up or down...whatever the case maybe so that an area can grow and not become wilted or stagnant.

Huge beuracracy, but a chance to help our great vetrerans

Social Worker (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsPay and vacation time are the most important benefits. You won't get rich, but salaries are usually higher than private sector for Social Workers.

ConsTons of paperwork, and an elephant like organization often bloated with people who are just marking time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire 30% of your work force immediately.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had a good experience at the VA, I worked as a summer intern in the prosthetics department.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsRelaxed Work Environment
    Lenient Hours
    Helpful Supervisors

ConsThe area I worked in was lower socioeconomic area
    Co-workers were complacent
    Unorganized at times

Advice to Senior ManagementAt times the women I worked with seemed to be threatened/annoyed by my presence because they felt I was encroaching on their territory or threatening their job safety.

Government Work

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat work-life balance and some training. Very focused on personal growth, though not always a pay increase even when you increase your skills.

ConsLow wages, low chances at promotions and no "fluff" benefits like food at work.

Very troubling

Programmer (Former Employee)
    Hines, IL

ProsIf you do not wish to do anything with no accountability this is the place to be.

Consmismanaged, no accountability, sleeping employees, missing employees and so on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis government agency was designed to help veterans; however the money is going to contractors. It appears to be a dumping ground for politicians and their cronies. You wonder why it's taking over a year to help veterans; all you have to do is find out what's going on at the VA.

This is a extremely challenging organization to navigate through.

ACOS (Current Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsStability in this changing health environment.

ConsComplexity of the organization slows progess of any improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the value of people over programs.

Very much like a 'Wartime Experience'

Radiology Tech (Former Employee)
    Iowa City, IA

ProsBenefits are awesome! Wide variety of pathology.

ConsPay falls behind market and equipment falls behind modern at times.

DO NOT come here if you are over 30. Ageism is profound and blatant, and I work in HR!

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI am grateful for the opportunity to work in an Agency that allows me to give back to the brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for all of us. Great employees who diligently strive to adequately perform the many duties assigned. Job dissatisfaction threatens to drain the skilled staff, while maintaining and promoting the untested and inexperienced yes men, and women that abound. Pre-selection though illegal, is clearly the norm.

ConsGreat Executive Leadership who are not paying attention, and who are sheltered from the reality of the low morale and constant dissatisfaction of the front line management employees in every department. Leadership has an open door policy, but it is professional suicide to walk through that door. We have been directed to pass every document, email, communication, or thought of any kind through our HR Leadership thought police prior to passing it through to the Director's staff. Mid to top level HR management, just below Leadership, is the least experienced and worst examples of HR professionals that I have ever experienced, which is the reason for the extreme dissatisfaction throughout the VA. Lack of knowledge and real world experience on HR management's part, and their propensity to micro-manage and denigrate their staff at every turn, leads to Agency wide disdain. People skills, knowledge, experience and ability are clearly not a priority for promotion to those higher graded HR Management positions, even though those very positions are meant to advise Leadership. It's a house of cards with all truly skilled individuals looking to move out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your bubble. Instead of an open door policy, make it a priority to walk out of that door and into the offices of the mid-level management employees who are striving to accomplish the tasks before them. Perform true exit interviews. Don't leave those interviews to HR Leadership. You will never hear the real reasons for the continuous brain drain at VA Pittsburgh, because in many cases, HR Leadership IS the reason for the exodus.

Working for returning vets is awesome

Assistant Canteen Chief (Former Employee)

Prosvery good target population. Monday thru Friday hours. Good salary, great benefits.

ConsToo much work, very long hours. Staff is unionized. Very hard to get rid of bad people. On any given day, 20% of staff calls out sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntimidation, agitation and stress are not good managerial motivators. My Canteen Chief was making $100,000 and was on antidepressants!! Add more Supervisory help to big accounts. Impossible for any one person to do all that is required and have any decent quality of life. Got home one day after twelve hours. Ran a tub. Sat on my bed to wait for tub to fill. Fell asleep. Woke up two hours later, house flooded, dining room ceiling collapsed onto the floor,

To much!!

Worked for VA Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VA Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VA Health CEO Eric K. Shinseki. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by VA Health employees.