VA Health

Updated January 20, 2015
3.4

VA Health Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki
Eric K. Shinseki

Pros
  • It's a good place of employment as well as good benefits (in 8 reviews)

• There is very good job security, the patients are great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot of red tape to deal with, but that is to be expected working for a government agency (in 6 reviews)

• management works well over 40 hour work-weeks with no overtime (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Pretty Good

I worked at VA Health

Pros

Mission is important, so when job isn't great that helps

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy slows things down

I worked at the Veterans Hospital as an escort

Former Employee - Escort
    Former Employee - Escort

I worked at VA Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

friendly coworkers
    free snacks (sometimes)
    feeling like you're showing your gratitude towards injured veterans

Cons

some sexual harassment from injured veterans

Great place to work, providing comprehensive care to veterans

I have been working at VA Health

Pros

Working for the federal government has its benefits, including a pension, 401k matching, generous sick leave and vacation time, and possibly even reimbursement for travel to workshops and conferences, if applicable to your position. I find the work to be predictable, with a set schedule and reliable procedures. I know exactly what my duties are and how to complete and exceed them on a daily basis. The VA is one of the innovators in comprehensive care, including an interdisciplinary environment.

Cons

On the flip-side, sometimes having a set schedule is difficult to work around. You are required to use vacation time or sick leave (depending on the reason) if you get stuck in traffic, have to take your child to school, or have a doctor's appointment. Other employers may be more flexible on matters such as these. We have had a lot of turnover in leadership and it seems that the new leaders take a little while to get their bearings, which can affect the overall progress of the VA.

Continue investing in great training programs!

Nursing staff on MedSurge

Former Employee - Med/Surg Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Med/Surg Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA

I worked at VA Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful experience helping our Veterans. Benefits package was outstanding, I paid only $40 a month for all of them. Accrued vacation time is awesome also.

Cons

Promotions were according to your seniority. Work life balance was good. Med-surge nurse manager was not friendly.

Donot play favorites with people, learn how to deal with a diverse group of people, find common interests, donot judge anyone by your own past experiences with different groups of ethnic background.

current

Current Employee - Technical Support Level II in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Support Level II in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at VA Health

Pros

People, pride, satisfaction and overall management internal.

Cons

Overbearing boss, incredibly high workload, no training

Get people who treat people like anyone would like to be treated.

I worked at headquarters - a good organization with a smart team and good collaboration

Former Employee - Writer/Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Writer/Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at VA Health as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Smart, caring staff who are trying to help veterans in whatever skills set they have
    -There is no company politics in terms of things like working 60 hour weeks to impress - just do your work in a normal 40-hour workweek and you're good to go
    -Quality managers who care; no micro managers here

Cons

-don't expect big holiday parties or perks like fancy coffee machines; you have to chip in for little things like a water cooler or coffee machine
    -In my department there was no acceptance of flexibility like working from home, even if snowed in (though that varies greatly and other departments could do that)
    -the bureaucracy of certain parts of the chain of command was limiting and slowed down progress

In my particular department, the company culture was really positive. I was given flexibility in ways I could support the team, and given a nice balance of collaborative team focus versus freedom to work independently. Don't expect pretty office decor or any free lunches, as my department was very guarded about tax money. But all in all that was find because the smart, nice people and the support made the job good.

Motor Vehicle Operator

I have been working at VA Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent job, great people to work for and with, working with the Veterans is the highlight of the job, good pay and job security, lots of responsibilities and activities. Working for the VA is awesome.

Cons

Too much "red tape" with credit cards to get vehicle repairs done.

Figure out how to get unscheduled vehicle repairs done without hassles. The Veterans come first! Fully operational vehicles and keeping safety in the forefront allows the motor vehicle operator to take Veterans out on trips that truly enhances and enriches their lives.

NPs at the VA

I have been working at VA Health

Pros

Work Independently - and I mean independently! Although there is a "collaborating" physician you are pretty much on your own as for decision making.

Cons

Fall under nursing. Supervisor is an RN and not an NP or MD so hard for them to appropriately evaluate your work when they do something totally different than you do and often have a lower degree than you do. Because you are under "nursing" you are suppose to be paid hourly however there is no over time or comp time for the long hours you will put in. Patient acuity level is high and there is a lot of administrative work you will be doing yourself (eg calling patients, corresponding via phone/secure message email and snail mail). Some expectations are unrealistic and often no accountability on part of veteran (eg show up without appts expecting to be seen immediately). A lot of bureacreatic red tape.

Have supervisor of similar job type supervise NPs. Compensate us with either overtime pay or compensated time off. Look at patient acuity when considering compensation. I see patients as complicated and sometimes more complicated than some of my MD counterparts. Get some DECENT SUPPORT STAFF!

Audiologist Fee Basis at VA Hospital in Orlando

Current Employee - Audiologist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Audiologist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at VA Health as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am retired from full time work. This was an excellent opportunity to maintain my expertise and control my work load.

Cons

I sometimes get very little notice about when I will work and where as I cover for vacations and illness so Veterans will have a provider on the days needed.

The only issue I see is that sometimes Veterans fail to show for their appointments and this is obviously sometimes because they have something else pop up that is fun or enjoyable and have no reason to show as they can get rescheduled easily. They do not know that a fee basis Audiologist gets NO compensatio for the hour they stand around because the Veteran did not show at their appointment. Valid resons for missing an appointment need to be recognized but I have called Veterans when they did not show and in some situations it is obvious they just decided not to come that day for inappropriate reasons given that they agreed to the scheduled time and day and were usually called and reminded of that decision and asked to re-validate the appointment time. My opinion is that some minimal attendance requirements be established.

Housekeeper

I worked at VA Health

Pros

great promotions, benefits, and just a excellent job..

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this employer.

VA Health Photos