VA Health Reviews

120 reviews filtered by

1. Project Manager / VBA Programmer

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at VA Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the VA with the right peers to focus on work ethics, loyalty, commitment, teamwork, achievement, completed goal in timely manner, positive attitude to make a difference in work performance, be persistent, organized and oriented workmanship, and faith is focused on positive outcomes to make a difference in serving patients.

Cons

Lack of proper technology needed to focus on the right tools and services to better serving patients in more efficient ways in a shorter time frame. Our critical focus is based on paper transformation, upgraded computer needed, tight scheduling, challenging to work ethics and commitment, and quick records access.

Advice to Management

Focus on the possibilities of outcomes in overcoming a better way to enhance better technology and service in all levels of access to better services. Focusing on positive work ethics and commitment to overcome against all obstacles to find solutions.

Horrible experience! Full of corruption and cronyism. Most nurses cannot get promoted and are stuck at the same salary

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Leavenworth, KS
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Leavenworth, KS

I worked at VA Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits 26 days vacation 13 sick days 11 holidays, 5% match on 401K, pension

Cons

Few do the work and they get loaded on. Have to be in the federal "click" to be able to go anywhere. The bidding process for jobs is a joke.

Advice to Management

They should start caring about the employees as people. They care only for themselves and taking people down, and their own bonuses

Great place to work except for co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at VA Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Time off extremely generous for entry level folks. Wonderful helping Veterans, nurses and doctors in their functions

Cons

Union uncooperative with management, sometimes forgetting it is about the employees and getting the job done. Some co-workers excel at the stereotypical "government employee" role, avoiding work, long breaks, arriving late, leaving early with seemingly little management can/will do. Puts extra burden on good employees. Traffic and parking bad.

Advice to Management

Set goals and standards and make sure EVERYONE follows them, not just those who won't complain to the union or EEO commission.

5. Overall Pretty Good

I worked at VA Health

Pros

Mission is important, so when job isn't great that helps

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy slows things down

6. I worked at the Veterans Hospital as an escort

Former Employee - Escort
    Former Employee - Escort

I worked at VA Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly coworkers
    free snacks (sometimes)
    feeling like you're showing your gratitude towards injured veterans

Cons

some sexual harassment from injured veterans

Great place to work, providing comprehensive care to veterans

I have been working at VA Health

Pros

Working for the federal government has its benefits, including a pension, 401k matching, generous sick leave and vacation time, and possibly even reimbursement for travel to workshops and conferences, if applicable to your position. I find the work to be predictable, with a set schedule and reliable procedures. I know exactly what my duties are and how to complete and exceed them on a daily basis. The VA is one of the innovators in comprehensive care, including an interdisciplinary environment.

Cons

On the flip-side, sometimes having a set schedule is difficult to work around. You are required to use vacation time or sick leave (depending on the reason) if you get stuck in traffic, have to take your child to school, or have a doctor's appointment. Other employers may be more flexible on matters such as these. We have had a lot of turnover in leadership and it seems that the new leaders take a little while to get their bearings, which can affect the overall progress of the VA.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in great training programs!

Nursing staff on MedSurge

Former Employee - Med/Surg Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Med/Surg Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA

I worked at VA Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful experience helping our Veterans. Benefits package was outstanding, I paid only $40 a month for all of them. Accrued vacation time is awesome also.

Cons

Promotions were according to your seniority. Work life balance was good. Med-surge nurse manager was not friendly.

Advice to Management

Donot play favorites with people, learn how to deal with a diverse group of people, find common interests, donot judge anyone by your own past experiences with different groups of ethnic background.

current

Current Employee - Technical Support Level II in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Support Level II in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at VA Health

Pros

People, pride, satisfaction and overall management internal.

Cons

Overbearing boss, incredibly high workload, no training

Advice to Management

Get people who treat people like anyone would like to be treated.

NPs at the VA

I have been working at VA Health

Pros

Work Independently - and I mean independently! Although there is a "collaborating" physician you are pretty much on your own as for decision making.

Cons

Fall under nursing. Supervisor is an RN and not an NP or MD so hard for them to appropriately evaluate your work when they do something totally different than you do and often have a lower degree than you do. Because you are under "nursing" you are suppose to be paid hourly however there is no over time or comp time for the long hours you will put in. Patient acuity level is high and there is a lot of administrative work you will be doing yourself (eg calling patients, corresponding via phone/secure message email and snail mail). Some expectations are unrealistic and often no accountability on part of veteran (eg show up without appts expecting to be seen immediately). A lot of bureacreatic red tape.

Advice to Management

Have supervisor of similar job type supervise NPs. Compensate us with either overtime pay or compensated time off. Look at patient acuity when considering compensation. I see patients as complicated and sometimes more complicated than some of my MD counterparts. Get some DECENT SUPPORT STAFF!

11. I worked at headquarters - a good organization with a smart team and good collaboration

Former Contractor - Writer/Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Writer/Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at VA Health as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Smart, caring staff who are trying to help veterans in whatever skills set they have
    -There is no company politics in terms of things like working 60 hour weeks to impress - just do your work in a normal 40-hour workweek and you're good to go
    -Quality managers who care; no micro managers here

Cons

-don't expect big holiday parties or perks like fancy coffee machines; you have to chip in for little things like a water cooler or coffee machine
    -In my department there was no acceptance of flexibility like working from home, even if snowed in (though that varies greatly and other departments could do that)
    -the bureaucracy of certain parts of the chain of command was limiting and slowed down progress

Advice to Management

In my particular department, the company culture was really positive. I was given flexibility in ways I could support the team, and given a nice balance of collaborative team focus versus freedom to work independently. Don't expect pretty office decor or any free lunches, as my department was very guarded about tax money. But all in all that was find because the smart, nice people and the support made the job good.

VA Health Photos