VARtek

Updated December 13, 2014
3.5

VARtek CEO Michael E Hosford
Michael E Hosford

I feel like I make a difference every day

Current Employee - Senior Director - Operations in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Director - Operations in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Before coming to VARtek, I spent my career working for private businesses. While I felt satisfied with my performance, I really never felt like what I was doing gave back in the way I wanted my career to. Joining VARtek was the best decision for me because I know every day that the work we do impacts students. We aren't just providing one dimensional support to our schools. We are able to provide strategic planning, project management, engineering, technical support, strategic communications, and technology integration. These are the types of things that many school districts don't have the luxury of providing because they simply can't afford to hire the multitude of people required to effectively accomplish all of these tasks. Over the past few years I have had the privilege of visiting many school districts and seeing how much everyone cares about the success of their students. Many of these districts don't know what direction to take when it comes to technology and we get to use our expertise to help guide them and find ways to ensure technology assists their vision as opposed to controlling it.

When I started with VARtek I was part of an initiative to move from an Entrepreneurship to a professionally managed organization prepared for sustainable growth and I have seen an enormous amount of change as would be expected. We focused on adding Project Management as a daily function to what we are doing with tremendous success, we implemented classroom success stories and better deliverable tracking. We already had a great Professional Development program where we gave employees $2,000 every year to be invested in their professional development but we also implemented internal training programs. We provide training programs for new hire orientation, a minimum of 2 on-site training visits per year per area of subject matter, and we implemented an Emerging Leaders Development Program. I have been with several very large companies and even they didn't supply the amount of training opportunities that VARtek currently offers to their employees. As a leader I believe it is imperative to support employee development and ensure that your team can grow and this is something that VARtek has made a priority.

I have the privilege of working with employees both in the field and at the District Resource Center and I can say first hand that all of our employees are extremely passionate about ensuring the success of our partners because they understand that the success of our schools leads to success for their students. Everyone who works here joined because they want to know that what they are doing makes a difference. Employees in our company work hard and go above and beyond what is expected of them all of the time because they care about what they do. Very rarely are employees asked to work beyond their typical work day and even more rarely are they asked to work on holidays or weekends. A few positions within the company occasionally require travel to districts that would require them to be gone for one week at a time. On occasions when this travel is necessary and the employee must travel on a Sunday to ensure arriving at the school Monday morning, VARtek offers a very generous travel bonus. Due to the nature of my departments I have employees that have to make these type of trips from time to time. It is great to know that the company acknowledges the need for a work/life balance and attempts to reward employees when they must travel in this nature. I have heard firsthand from several of my employees how much they appreciate the travel bonus and how it makes them feel appreciated.

At the end of the day I get to do something I love knowing that what I do makes a difference in the lives of the students. I get to work with some really amazing, brilliant, creative, and caring people who all want the best for our students and I go home feeling like I have accomplished something every day.

Cons

In order to deliver the best service to our schools we have to continually be accountable. For new employees it can be a transition to learn how to measure and meet service level agreements and to ensure deliverables are submitted on time based on project requirements.

For employees working within the school districts, you will encounter users who are experiencing technology issues and may be extremely frustrated. Due to the nature of their roles it is important to be able to prioritize conflicting responsibilities with the immediate needs of teachers. If the technology is not working for a teacher it has an immediate impact on their ability to teach their lesson plan that day and must be treated with such priority. The ability to manage priorities and time is crucial for anyone working within this environment.

Schools experience a major increase in activity for approximately 6 weeks during school startup. On average we will see an increase of about 4 times the amount of tickets during the month of school startup. While resources are typically added or provided by the Operations Center, all members of the company take on more work during this time to ensure that each school begins their school year successfully.

Management has been extremely focused on employee satisfaction and making adjustments to processes to encourage employee development. I would encourage this to be a continued process in which we listen to employees and ensure we are sharing our culture across all of our schools in order to make everyone feel part of the team regardless of their physical location.

Oct 28, 2014President

Thank you for your thoughtful post. If the time is taken to carefully read your comments, anyone within the company and certainly anyone interviewing for a position with VARtek can get a clear ... More

Spin city....

I worked at VARtek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Based on the fact that VARtek has gone to great lengths to have EVERY current employee submit a 5 star review should tell you something. It's either a great place to work or its a great sounding place to work....

Cons

Well with the heavy turnover, you should be expected to learn everything on your own and expect to have disappointed teachers that have been promised the world and delivered nothing. Not that the previous employees didn't try to do their best. The President will probably say otherwise in his personal answer to every post yet you'll never see him in the field.

Dec 17, 2014President

Thank you for taking the time to submit a post as a former employee. I am not sure of your tenure nor when you last worked for VARtek. With that said, we have an open-door policy for you to ... More

A generally positive experience

I have been working at VARtek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

VARtek is a small company that strives very hard to provide a big company feel while maintaining a close family concern for its people. An example of this is that they have nice offices, policies that resemble large corporations, heavy project management focus, and a heavy focus on their brand. At the same time, they maintain that family feel with things like morning huddles and asking how you are and about your family. You have a chance to know and meet the people you work with.

VARtek is a mixed bag on compensation. Total compensation at VARtek is definitely on the low side. Like many outsourcing companies, pay will generally be below average. Because of this low base pay, the company does offer many additional forms of compensation. We have added 401k matches in the last few months which seem to follow the industry. We also have quarterly bonuses and a yearly bonus. We have decent health, dental, and optical benefits especially considering the size of the company. They pay towards your cell phone use and is the first company I have worked for that has a technology offering where they pay half of the price of some technology that you get to keep each year. They also have a professional development program that they offer. While my previous companies generally had money to spend on professional development, it was usually more lip service than really spending to develop the employee as they would cut the budget halfway through the year. VARtek has not done that and truly encourages every employee to spend it and develop themselves.

VARtek is not for everyone. In many ways, it is the perfect starter company for an employee that wants to develop. Due to its smaller size, you have more learning opportunities and chances to do things that you would normally do. In this way, they give you the chance to gain experience that will help you throughout your career. Unfortunately, a common practice for those that gain that experience or certification at the company’s expense is to leave and make a higher salary elsewhere.

Pros:
    Chance to grow and learn.
    Ability to make a positive impact.
    Generally treated positively.
    Willingness to develop you.

Cons

Cons:
    Low salary.
    Low career growth potential once you reach a manager position.
    High levels of paperwork.
    High levels of micromanagement.

Reduce the paperwork.
    Focus more on selling individual services.

Oct 23, 2014President

Thank you so much for your comments. Collectively we can grow. We can learn based on your input. You definitely hit upon several of the initiatives that we have implemented to support the team ... More

My experience at Vartek Services, Inc. has been a very good experience, working for a company with great vision.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a smaller company that has a great product to sell and greatly impacts the community this is the place for you. Vartek Services, Inc. has an excellent strategic vision and plan that it offers to the k-12 educational community. As an employee, Vartek offers a warm team environment, company amenities, and fosters individual creativity, growth through educational opportunities and promotion. The business is driven by well thought business practices and processes which keeps activities in line with business goals and outcomes.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working at VARtek is ensuring momentum of executing project management processes in the mist of the VARtek team accomplishing client deadlines. Although visible, being a part of a smaller company, leadership is frequently out in the field making contacts and creating new relationships/partnerships to atttact business and secure contracts.

Keep up the great work you're doing! I see your passion and love for your jobs and the company.

Sep 15, 2014President

Thank you for providing this valuable input. We VALUE process-orientation, documentation, and a systems approach to delivering quality solutions to our clients. You help make that happen, and our ... More

Effort + Achievement = Success

I have been working at VARtek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What is it that district leaders, parents, and legislators are all talking about when it comes to education? The short answer is student achievement. And how to you support student achievement? The answer is by using evidence based [best] practices; establishing a system of transparency and accountability; and using an objective progress monitoring system to evaluate ongoing performance. In other words, start with goals in mind and work backwards to design a system that will achieve said goals. In essence, this is who VARtek is -- and what they do -- with respect to education technology.

Cons

All businesses have their challenges. Some challenges are market based while others are internal. The challenges at VARtek tend to mirror industry challenges seen by many companies that do what they do -- and operate in the environment they do.

Continue to make your customer/partner's needs your number one priority. Listen to what they need, develop plans to meet their needs, and execute the plan. Give your customer's your very best, and help them to be their very best, and everything else will tend to take care of itself.

Sep 15, 2014President

Your input is most valuable. Your insight is appreciated. You are correct that we should and will continue to adapt to the needs of the K12 industry. For over 25 years, VARtek has kept the needs ... More

A great opportunity to really be able to make a difference in K12 technology education!

Current Employee - National Recruiter in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - National Recruiter in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been with VARtek for a year and a half now and have really enjoyed my time here. There are many positives that help make my day to day enjoyable. The most satisfying thing about working at VARtek has been the relationships that I have developed and the vast amount of knowledge I've learned from my coworkers. I've had the opportunity to work with everyone from the Classroom Technology Coaches, Project Managers, System Administrators, IT Directors, Account Executives, Network Engineers, and many more. I've learned something from each of these people and really respect the hard work and dedication they put in daily. I've worked in education for over 13 years and knowing that I work with a company that have the same beliefs and dedications to education as I do really helps make my days go quicker!

As far as some of the other benefits I've enjoyed at VARtek, include their professional development program, which has helped me complete several recruiter certifications. VARtek also provides a great work/life balance and understands the importance of family, friends, and free time. Employee wellness is also a concern for VARtek, which has prompted a company wide "Fit Friday" awareness day. This is just a day that we are able to come together and do some fun things all while building teamwork and promoting a healthy lifestyle. Finally, there are many other perks that I enjoy such as a technology bonus, training opportunities, and much growth potential.

Cons

I'm very pleased with my day to day career with VARtek. If I had to list anything I would like another week of vacation, but when that's the only "con" you can think of with a company, I think you are doing pretty great.

Sep 9, 2014President

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding the company. You spoke of many of the aspects and initiatives that are important to our culture. VARtek is a company that believes in ... More

Professional Work Environment

I have been working at VARtek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

VARtek has a culture of accountability and support for employees. It provides excellent services to K-12 schools. The training and professional development opportunities for employees are outstanding. My introductory training was some of the best that I have received at any company.

Cons

High performance work environment can be stressful for some people. The drive to be accountable to each other and to our customers can be overwhelming at times, but I find that this is balanced with great support and tools that enable employees to be successful.

Keep providing support, training and professional development opportunities to employees. It is a great perk and encourages high performance. The professional work environment that has been created will continue to attract great employees.

Sep 2, 2014President

Thank you for your feedback regarding your introductory training. We believe that a solid orientation program to the company along with continued support for new team members are vital to their ... More

Great Company!!

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Coordinator in Centerville, OH
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Coordinator in Centerville, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been a VARtek employee for almost three months and within these three months I have received a lot of support and guidance. Many of the individuals at VARtek are wonderful to work with. They love their jobs and really want to perform the best they can to service the customers. I love working here and I believe the company has given me great opportunity to learn and grow and I am grateful. I enjoy the fact that my opinion is valued and it is taken in consideration. I like doing many different jobs as appose to doing same job over and over.

Cons

VARtek is a small business and when working for a small business you have limited amount of employees. That being said you sometimes have to figure things out on your own and some people may look at this as an inconvenience but I like the challenge. It gives me the opportunity to learn and contributes to my creativity and adaptability.

Sep 9, 2014President

Thank you for your response. The role the company funded by developing a position of sales and marketing coordinator was a strategic decision to align marketing efforts with that of supporting our ... More

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked at VARtek for over 3 months as an Accounting Intern. I have really enjoyed my time here and just recently accepted a full-time accounting position. There are so many reasons why I chose to start my career with VARtek. I work with a great group of people who are so easy to get along with. I enjoy the work I do and learn so much from the ladies I work with. The working atmosphere is so enjoyable that it doesn’t feel like I am at work. Overall I am so happy with the decision I made and would recommend, to anyone, a career with VARtek.

Cons

When working for a small business there are times when one may have to take on responsibilities outside of their job description. However, when everyone does their share it only contributes to the overall success of the company. So in reality it is a very small price to pay.

Aug 21, 2014President

Thank you for your post. We are pleased that we have had the opportunity to have accounting interns this summer. The senior staff accountants have enjoyed working with students who are nearing ... More

A Career Full of Opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Director - Operations in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Director - Operations in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I started at VARtek over ten years ago as a technician. I was immediately put in a position where I could demonstrate the skills I had and where my input was valued. Within 3 months I was promoted and given additional responsibilities. I continued to work hard and my work continued to be recognized. VARtek invested thousands of dollars into my Professional Development to make sure I was ready to take the next step in my career when that opportunity arose. I am now the Assistant Director of Operations with my sights set on becoming Director someday. In my opinion all employees seek similar things.
     - A role that allows you to use the skills you have
     - A career path that is made clear to you
     - Enough recognition to know your contributions are valued
     - A chance to make a difference each day

VARtek has given me all of that and much more in my 10+ years.

Cons

When you have been around as long as I have you have the benefit of knowing how things used to be. Not everyone has that luxury so when a small firm moves to a model of professional management, the change is substantial and sometimes uncomfortable.
     What has worked for me, and the advice I would give to anyone, is to make sure you ask enough questions to understand why change is taking place. Often times people assume things as facts and make decisions without having sought the answers that are helpful.
    VARtek is really good at communicating the goals of the company as well as our mission, vision, and values.

Keep investing in your staff as you have with me. We have a talented blend of people and skills that can get us to the next level.

Sep 15, 2014President

Thank you for your valued response. The insight you provide continues to support a culture of evolution, growth, and positive change. When people and processes change, it does not mean the past ... More