VCA Antech
www.vcaantech.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

VCA Antech Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014
VCA Antech – Sebastopol – “post neuter”

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin

Bob Antin

Pros:
  • "Helping animals, used to have a great employee discount, employee pet feeding plan/discount, and free revolution for my cat"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Staff benefits for pet care are very good"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Long hours, no breaks, poor management, always filling in for kennels, underpaid, no appreciation

RVT (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsCan bring dog to work and employee discounts are good. Free CE.

ConsPaid less than vet assistants, fill in for kennel staff that is allowed to take time off during holidays or when they don't show. Treated like someone with no knowledge or say in the care of a patient. Some teamwork depending on the day and whats being done. Gossip runs wild. No positivity. Poor incentive to continue working in this company. Staff meetings are all talk no action. usually scheduled through surgery time so not everyone can enjoy. Run you ragged and don't care..They say they do but don't bother to change it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a team player. Value the good workers you have. Advocate for them to earn a decent living. Instead of a pin for a year service, provide a bonus instead. Something to feed the family and not rust out in a draw somewhere.

The day I quit was the best day of my life.

LVT (Former Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsHelping animals, used to have a great employee discount, employee pet feeding plan/discount, and free revolution for my cat.

Consthe health insurance is a joke, they only care about money, the pay is horrible! I am an LVT and I was not paid near what I should have been paid. Also a lot of the techs there did not go to school and they were paid better than I was. The staff played favorites and techs were treated more like janitors than techs while the assistants sat around and did nothing. In fact the other LVT and I had a joke that we were "Janitor Technicians". Also the prices were outrageous!

Advice to Senior ManagementLower your prices! A lot of the equipment is old and you are charging people way too much! Value your members of staff that have an education and pay them accordingly

How things change.

Vet Tech (Former Employee)

Proswe'll they have meetings twice A month. which gives us A free lunch. Not sure of the pros to work for VCA.I quit!

ConsI had the best job.I would pace the floor with anticipation to go in. Then it happened the owners sold their business to VCA at first nothing changed then little by little they started bringing in their people. Our happy family is almost gone. one by one were all leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to watch how much power they give to their office managers they get BIG heads and treat employees like crap.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part of corporate buyout - stayed on for 2 years, very unhappy

Veterinary Technician/Receptionist (Former Employee)
    Maple Shade, NJ

Prosbetter computer system than our old practice

ConsEmployees treated like mentally incompetent monkeys by the CO. We were made to do *hours* of unpaid online training. Our prices jacked up exponentially after being bought out by VCA and the quality of client service has significantly declined. Several employees who had been with the hospital for decades while it was under private ownership left within two years of the cooperate takeover. Lost a massive number of old clients to other local private practices. The entire staff was trained to suggestively sell medical procedures such as yearly dental cleanings under general anesthesia. Vets and techs very unhappy.

Pretty good people to work with

Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

ProsVery handicapped accessible. Management is very nice. Congenial work atmosphere. Everybody cleans up in the cafeteria and free pizza Fridays

ConsCafeteria workers don't get paid enough, even though there is Free Pizza Fridays nobody smiles at them, or leaves money in their tip jar.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the cafeteria workers a raise why don't cha?

STAY AWAY FROM VCA

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGetting to see animals throughout your shift, decent pay

ConsEVERYTHING. Hours were terrible, the hospital manager was the worst I've ever seen. I was in training for front desk, they left me all alone up there filling other animals prescriptions! First off, I didn't even know how to do that! That is a vet techs job. I called her over the intercom and asked for help. It took her 5 mins to get up to the front desk because she was in the back being a vet tech because our staff was so short.
    There were plenty of rumors at this hospital. Even the other manager was talking crap about other employees to me. How professional is that?? Some of the vet techs that work there aren't even certified, they just got promoted from front desk....
    The Dvms at this hospital had absolutely no passion for animals. One vet says to me" I effing hate cats!!" What type of "vet" are you? The rumors at this hospital circled from kennel, front desk, vet techs and veterinarians. I will never again step foot in this building. Worst company I've ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professional people, update the systems

Atrocious Work Environment, Uncaring of Employee's!

R V T Registered Veterinary Technician (Former Employee)
    Sebastopol, CA

ProsGood pet discounts on medical services, vaccines, rx's and food.

ConsLack of communication and order between VCA hospitals. Doctors treated technicians and assistants with disrespect. They expect a high level of professionalism and performance from their employees, but you don't seem to get the same treatment.
    As an employee you aren't treated like part of a team or a family. You are treated as someone who can easily be replaced at any given time, so there is no leniency for life situations that happen like being sick, family passing away, or minute human mistakes.
    Unethical company policy related to the way certain tests and medical services seem to be pushed on clients. Hospital protocols aren't backed up by current veterinary evidence-based medicine. :^(

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect. Have better communication between hosptals and more consistancy with training and management.

The company undervalues it's employees

Licensed Veterinary Technician (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsAs an emergency vet office, you will gain a lot of clinical skills and experience. Friendly co-workers.

ConsNo room for job growth. Maximum of 3% raise yearly, and that is only given to 10% of employees or so. Limited benefits. Expensive health care options that don't cover much. At my office most technicians work day, evening, and overnight often all within the same week! These may not all be true at other locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you pay people who aren't qualified the same as people who payed for school and got licensed, you are seriously undervaluing those employees. Currently the best technicians use your company for a couple of years experience, then move on to somewhere with better pay where they will be valued by the employer.

No appreciation at all,it was never good enough for them!

Certified/Supervisor Vet Tech (Former Employee)
    Danbury, CT

ProsIts better than starving to death or living under a bridge in a cardboard box.one perk discounted pet care.

ConsGreedy,selfish,noncareing upper management.it was always about the money to them!never in touch with the the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of having all those worthless meetings that make you all feel oh so important visit your hospitals and find out what's really going on in them.you may be surprised!!!!!!

they violate labor laws

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

Prosit was a job that paid and it was in science

ConsI went many times without lunch until my shift was over, and I was talked to like I was not working fast enough. I quit after 2 months. If I have to stay overtime, you better pay me what is required. The management makes all the money... they should all be ashamed of themselves. I can't believe their stocks are doing so well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoose the dumb attitude.

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VCA Antech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VCA Antech CEO Bob Antin. All 119 reviews posted anonymously by VCA Antech employees.