VCA Antech

www.vcaantech.com

VCA Antech Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
VCA Antech – Sebastopol – “post neuter”

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin

Bob Antin

Pros
  • Helping animals, used to have a great employee discount, employee pet feeding plan/discount, and free revolution for my cat(in 15 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits, that's pretty much it(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul(in 7 reviews)

Scavengers, they work you for all you've got.

ProsIt's a job, pays some bills.

ConsSo many, where does one start.

Advice to Senior Managementhire all new and train.

Disingenuous Management Style

ProsReliable salary and benefits for doctors. Many hospitals are well equipped with modern diagnostic equipment. The CE requirement for doctors in stringent, typically doctors are current and up to date.

ConsMost hospitals are managed with a reactionary, 'fly by the seat of your pants' management style. Policies and procedures are deliberately vague to allow management maximum flexibility to 'leverage' staff. Mid level management is under incredible pressure to meet targets and have no support in creating a positive work environment. Technicians are often shorted full time hours to make financial targets.Hospitals are so understaffed that work environment is stressful for reception, technician, and doctor teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour entire management system is dishonest. You do not treat your staff with care or concern.

I've had worse, and much better

Kennel Tech (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Prosdealing with and learning about animals
    pet benefits

Consall about money
    doesn't much care for employee morale

Advice to Senior ManagementTake suggestions from employees regardless of rank

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unvalued CVT

ProsGreat co-workers at my particular clinic. It is a like a family with the exception of a few. Free Vaccines.

ConsIt's always about the money, not about appropriate staffing levels or doing what is right by the employees. It takes more than two technicians-even highly qualified ones- to keep two Dr.s moving.

Production based medicine encourages Dr.s to run up client bills to meet their quotas, resulting in clients being "guilted" into doing unnecessary things.

Highly qualified technicians are treated like kennel help with a distinct lack of respect for their experience or schooling. (Just because I don't have a DVM behind my name doesn't mean I don't know anything)

On my way out, just waiting for the right opportunity.

Advice to Senior Management1. Perhaps instead of developing private label drugs, you should invest in your front-line employees. You are way out of touch with what really goes on in a busy hospital, and who actually makes the money you put in your wallet. Truth is you need AT LEAST one TECH per DR, and AT LEAST One extra tech for every two DR. Therefore if you have 3 DR you need AT LEAST 5 techs, not three.

2. Its time for there to be consistent medical standards, applying something called evidence-based practice. (Please tell me where on VIN or elsewhere it says that you should charge a client..I mean check a pet's CBC/CHEM before giving a Lyme vaccine)

3. I went to school to not have to do heavy cleaning and poop-scooping, just like the DVM did. Please respect me for that.

From family owned business to corporate entity

Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDiscount for vet services and food.

ConsAfter being employed by the family business for 6 years the corporation took over and an incompetent employee was promoted to management. Favoritism by the new manager created a hostile work environment. As business decreased I was given janitorial instead of the position that I had been hired for. Time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporation should bring in staff with management skills during the transition. Then they can evaluate if any current employee has management potential.

Worked my way up and still living paycheck to paycheck/poverty levels!

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsSalary job and pet care benefits

ConsSalary sucks, no bonuses for a job well done. Make the company more money and never get a thank u or incentive to keep it up. Regional managers are alcoholics and hire family members over qualified employees. Regional managers are robots with no personality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your staff monetarily or expect no results. Stop hiring your lovers over promoting from within. Give us bonus incentives.

Poorly managed on the corporate level. Profit comes before employees

Hospital Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLove my co-workers. They are the reason I stay.

ConsCorporate Vice President makes decisions based solely on profit. No concern for time spent with the company or level of care provided by hospitals. Changes pay and bonus structures after they've already been earned so that you're no longer eligible. Demands profit margins that leave no way for employees to get full number of hours and still meet the company's numbers. They hurt the people who do the most work for them on the ground level. I would never choose this company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lining your pockets and go back to caring about the animals and your employees, because, trust me, they don't believe you do that currently.

It's not Disneyworld

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHospitals have access to high quality equipment
    Company invests in employees through continuing education
    Company matching funds for 401k

ConsCompany rolls out too many 'programs' at one time making it very difficult to execute each one well. Each support office department does not seem to know what another is doing so there is often a funnel effect on the hospitals.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome peopler are "more equal than others" - George Orwell. Sadly, this is part of the culture at VCA.

VCA is a great place to work

ProsValuable experience, especially if you love animals

ConsLess hours at slow time of year

Great balance of hard-working and casual environment & people.

Corporate Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI'm in the tax department, so my experience is limited to that area:
    - Folks in other departments are by-and-large very responsive.
    - The environment is fabulous to work in: dogs hanging around, but not causing a nuisance, beautiful offices from the inside, casual attire and interactions.
    - My boss has been fabulous to work for. She's a great blend of giving guidance while still allowing for my own decision making.

Cons- Very poor benefits, but this is hopefully getting better since they've hired a VP of HR in just the last few years.
    - Pay seems a little below the average.
    - Parking for employees is pretty bad. Although I got lucky and have a good spot, many employees have to find parking on the street or in a nearby structure. This also makes life difficult when you have a guest coming to the office and can't park anywhere.

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!