VCA Antech Reviews

Reset
2.0
VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management thinks so highly of themselves they fail to remember they are also human beings (in 7 reviews)

1. Kennel Attendant - loved it!

Former Employee - Kennel Attendant in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Kennel Attendant in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

I loved this job! I was able to care for and play with dogs for a good portion of my day. My coworkers were wonderful, my managers were understanding, and everyone was there to help one another. The techs were always eager to teach and assist you whenever needed.

Cons

There was a lot of cleaning involved, sometimes not for those with weak stomachs. What can you expect, you're in an animal hospital!

2. Neat

Current Employee - Veterinarian in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Veterinarian in Portland, OR

I have been working at VCA Antech (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great case load and personable staff. Fair prices and knowledgable staff. Good training opportunities.

Cons

Negative accrural on the contract is pretty standard and is not exciting to have. Corporate is also difficult to deal with some issues

Technician Supeevisor

Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed, job security, 401k, vacation time, insurance, veterinary discounts, ability to bring my pet to work, free CE, flexible scheduling

Cons

Upper management has limited exposure to hospitals and day to day operations. Hiring and making fancy jobs/titles for people that add little to the growth of hospitals (ie. Director of hospital development or local marketing manager). Why not invest those salaries back into the support staff and let the medical directors and hospital managers grow the hospitals? (See above) Limited payroll budgeting makes it difficult to hire experienced staff or pay them appropriately. Little room for advancement or raises. If you were hired at a low wage, don't expect to get a hefty raise or bonus. HR makes it impossible to get rid of anyone regardless of performance or wrong-doings. Requiring hospitals to focus on sales goals for multiple products and services.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your support staff and people that actually work in the hospitals and make "you" the money vs taking BETTER care of upper management. Try not to focus on multiple sales goals at a time.

5. Student Professional Relations Representative

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I don't have any cons to list yet

Horrible management and work environment.

Current Employee - Kennel Tech in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Kennel Tech in Denver, CO

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the animals and amazing clients. (I really don't have 20 words for this place but apparently there's a minimum...)

Cons

Company is more focused on making as much money as they can, not employee happiness/safety and they run their buildings into the ground.

Advice to Management

Please take care of the places you have. When the staff is complaining that things are broken that are required for day to day function, stop griping that it costs too much. (It took us a month for them to finally buy us plastic ware so we could feed the dogs) I could go into so much more detail but I won't. Not sure if all the VCAs are as bad as the one I'm at but I wouldn't recommend working here. But to give you an idea, we have a turnover rate of 1.5 people a month.

Vet Tech

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Able to work with some great doctors. Able to help animals

Cons

Terrible communication. Management turnover is high. We haven't had an office manager in over a year. It has been 2 years since we had a permanent manager. We haven had a Medical Director in 3 years. Money is wasted on irrelevant things. An us versus them culture with regards to the employees at a branch versus corporate. The regional managers are pressured to increase revenue and marketing with preferred products. The company doesn't care what the vets opinions are.

Advice to Management

Communication must improve. Listen to those that work at a location. Decrease your prices and cut over head costs.

8. Working at Murphy Road

I worked at VCA Antech full-time

Pros

Great place for learning. Very professional, everyone is kept to high standards.

Cons

So many renovations! Not all of which were wanted by the staff...

Advice to Management

Keep it up with regards to training!

Revenue Accountant

Current Employee - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

Working environment is flexible, great diversity of employees

Cons

High work load, Inefficient, lack of opportunities

I'm starving before going to work.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some brilliant doctors and technicians; I have awesome coworkers. There are literally no other pros.

Cons

VCA overcharges for their services, and pays their employees next to nothing, so where does that money go? How is somebody supposed to support a child on an $11 an hour wage? I asked for a raise and got less than 25 cents. Management doesn't treat employees with any respect.

Advice to Management

When your employees have needs, don't treat them like garbage. Especially when you expect your employees to bend over backwards to cover your own needs.

Front Office Stace

Current Employee - Csr1 in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organized for the most part with policies for clients(i.e charges, estimates, promotions)

Cons

lack of pay/ "budget company gives for everyone's raises annually" vs how much they make

Advice to Management

Show employees how much they mean to you with giving bigger budgets for managers to give out for raises

RSS Feed </> Embed