VCA Antech

Updated February 25, 2015
2.0

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Financial Reporting Analyst

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Great Working Environment, Managers, and colleagues.

Cons

I can't think of anything bad.

Ok for part time work

Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at VCA Antech part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I did get a lot of opportunities to do different work and get trained to do different tasks even though I was kennel.

Cons

Even though I was trained to do other tasks, I was never given the opportunity to actually grow.

Don't believe the recruitment ads.

Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, 401K and "some" decisions are made at a local level. And that is being nice.

Cons

The immediate money is what counts at this company; pet and pet owners are secondary. And staff is at the bottom of the scale!!! 3 paid holidays per year!! And raises/salaries are low, yearly only, no matter how hard you work. Drs are asked to do unpaid duties all the time; and they will add to your contract at their discretion! You can leave if you do not like it. There is no interest to change anything.
    Many successful hospitals are being run into the ground by management who refuse to understand that customer service (after hours availability, care not to raises fee so high, happy staff, maintained facilities, ....) was the reason for the success.

Get out of California and truly visit your hospitals. Spend some time seeing what works and what does not (our regional people would stay an hour or two every so often, and totally ignored the majority of the staff). Have true feedback from the clients (we were instructed to report only positive feedback !!!). Stay more local, pet owners who want to do a lot for their pets are a different breed; try to understand their mentality better. And please, take better care of your workforce. Read veterinary magazines, specially the ones that are staff oriented!! And have the support office truly support the hospitals. We stopped calling to get help after a while, they were never aware or knowledgable. And sometimes the calls ended up putting some of our staff in trouble... If we mentioned any medical conditions, personal problems, etc, ; we would end up being hounded for months with unreasonable questions.

Not a career

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Decent pay
    Benefits
    E/o weekend off

Cons

High school atmosphere, no team work, high pressure

Account Payables Superivosr

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Flexible schedule and casual environment.

Cons

Management have been there for a long time. These people are against changes and lack of vision

AP Admin

Current Employee - AP Clerk in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - AP Clerk in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Simple tasks to be performed, and the people are easy going.

Cons

Not any significant ones. Seems like a great company to work for.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Great Company, Pricey Benefits, Be Ready to Spend Your Workday Glued to PC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The best reasons to work here are solid company with long-term potential job security in the Corporate Offices. Top Execs are solid and the job perks include company lunches & after-hour fun functions. If you get into the right Department, great place to work. One week vacation to start. Three weeks after 5 years. Very pleasant surroundings. Very pet friendly! You can even bring your pet to work!

Cons

The challenges include very pricey benefits, quirky departmental management with hit and miss communications styles. And if you're not ready to live your life at work glued to your PC for a solid 8 hours per day, then it's not for you. Very word processing, repetitive tasking & spreadsheet heavy workload. Raises limited to max of 4% a year so not much room. 4% rarely given. Lack of effective training and support. If you don't figure it out yourself, be prepared to move on quickly!

Better benefits options with more a la carte choices as payscale-salary gets eaten up by benefits packages. Twice as expensive to provide health, dental & vision for my family compared to previous employer. Covering my family costs $600+ per month!

Horrible - stay away

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

Seeing clients with their animals

Cons

Regional Management-Corporate environment - HIGHLY profit driven without regard for employees - poor management

Get with the program and try to dig deeper to find out why your turnover is so high. Teach management how to manage!

Discriminates

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Good CE benefits. 401 k plan, pays professional fees. Health and dental benefits Pays a doctor's commission I you exceed your monthly quota for production.

Cons

I worked at this hospital for 11 years. Once VCA took over I was discriminated against because of my alternative lifestyle. Management continuously harassed me.

Be more tolerant of your employees who are not neurotypical.

Difficult Change From Private Practice to Corporation

Former Employee - Animal Care Attendant in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Animal Care Attendant in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-good benefits
    -overall postive work environment
    -flexible hours

Cons

-clients are unhappy with change and company is unsympathetic
    -extreme price increase

none