VCA Antech Reviews

Reset
1.9
VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management thinks so highly of themselves they fail to remember they are also human beings (in 7 reviews)

1. Technician Supeevisor

Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed, job security, 401k, vacation time, insurance, veterinary discounts, ability to bring my pet to work, free CE, flexible scheduling

Cons

Upper management has limited exposure to hospitals and day to day operations.
    Hiring and making fancy jobs/titles for people that add little to the growth of hospitals (ie. Director of hospital development or local marketing manager). Why not invest those salaries back into the support staff and let the medical directors and hospital managers grow the hospitals?
    (See above) Limited payroll budgeting makes it difficult to hire experienced staff or pay them appropriately.
    Little room for advancement or raises. If you were hired at a low wage, don't expect to get a hefty raise or bonus.
    HR makes it impossible to get rid of anyone regardless of performance or wrong-doings.
    Requiring hospitals to focus on sales goals for multiple products and services.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your support staff and people that actually work in the hospitals and make "you" the money vs taking BETTER care of upper management.
    Try not to focus on multiple sales goals at a time.

2. Student Professional Relations Representative

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I don't have any cons to list yet

Horrible management and work environment.

Current Employee - Kennel Tech in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Kennel Tech in Denver, CO

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the animals and amazing clients. (I really don't have 20 words for this place but apparently there's a minimum...)

Cons

Company is more focused on making as much money as they can, not employee happiness/safety and they run their buildings into the ground.

Advice to Management

Please take care of the places you have. When the staff is complaining that things are broken that are required for day to day function, stop griping that it costs too much. (It took us a month for them to finally buy us plastic ware so we could feed the dogs)

I could go into so much more detail but I won't. Not sure if all the VCAs are as bad as the one I'm at but I wouldn't recommend working here. But to give you an idea, we have a turnover rate of 1.5 people a month.

Vet Tech

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Able to work with some great doctors. Able to help animals

Cons

Terrible communication. Management turnover is high. We haven't had an office manager in over a year. It has been 2 years since we had a permanent manager. We haven had a Medical Director in 3 years. Money is wasted on irrelevant things. An us versus them culture with regards to the employees at a branch versus corporate. The regional managers are pressured to increase revenue and marketing with preferred products. The company doesn't care what the vets opinions are.

Advice to Management

Communication must improve. Listen to those that work at a location. Decrease your prices and cut over head costs.

Revenue Accountant

Current Employee - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

Working environment is flexible, great diversity of employees

Cons

High work load, Inefficient, lack of opportunities

7. Working at Murphy Road

I worked at VCA Antech full-time

Pros

Great place for learning. Very professional, everyone is kept to high standards.

Cons

So many renovations! Not all of which were wanted by the staff...

Advice to Management

Keep it up with regards to training!

I'm starving before going to work.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some brilliant doctors and technicians; I have awesome coworkers. There are literally no other pros.

Cons

VCA overcharges for their services, and pays their employees next to nothing, so where does that money go? How is somebody supposed to support a child on an $11 an hour wage? I asked for a raise and got less than 25 cents. Management doesn't treat employees with any respect.

Advice to Management

When your employees have needs, don't treat them like garbage. Especially when you expect your employees to bend over backwards to cover your own needs.

Front Office Stace

Current Employee - Csr1 in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organized for the most part with policies for clients(i.e charges, estimates, promotions)

Cons

lack of pay/ "budget company gives for everyone's raises annually" vs how much they make

Advice to Management

Show employees how much they mean to you with giving bigger budgets for managers to give out for raises

Job Security with Stress, Anxiety and Evil Overlords

Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, they are always hiring due to extremely high turn over. Availability to transfer to other areas/states when moving. Good pet discount for 4 of your pets, if you have more you're screwed, you can't even purchased the packages offered to clients.
    Get to do good work, get to know clients and their amazing pets. Making a difference in pets lives.
    Able to bring your pets to work.
    On site management is good.

Cons

Corporate and regional managers are so far removed from actual clinics that they have no understanding of how the clinics function. Regional managers don't respond to requests, phone calls or emails, but they come running if your profits drop. Unable to get help from corporate office when needed.

Extremely low pay, you will make more at a fast food restaurant or waiting tables. Extremely expensive health care benefits with very high deductibles, if you get sick you're going to be in debt.

Overtime is expected, not appreciated. Extremely high turnover. Pet discount is great for 4 pets, but if you go over there is nothing you can do. Most employees have more than 4 pets, many go to Banfield to get care for the additional pets, just for the lower costs. As an employee you can't even purchase the packages offered to clients.

Promotions into management are based on who can blow smoke the best, skills and hard work make no difference. The more you lie and don't do your job, the better your chances of moving into a regional position.

Based out of CA, no matter what state you are in you have to do everything by way of CA, doing a basic coaching can take 2 to 6 weeks to get approved - by then no one remembers why someone needed to be coached.

Too profit oriented - profit is important, but shorting hospitals because you refuse to pay reasonable wages, or purchase basic necessary equipment, or replace staff puts pets at risk. And this is acceptable to the corporate overlords, because it saves money in the short term.

Being forced to provide free day care to the on staff doctors - expect the doctors to bring their children to work with them 4 out of 5 days, and while they are working, their children are running around the hospital, disturbing post-op patients, interrupting critical patient care, disturbing clients, and having chair races in the treatment area. Okay for the doctors, but not allowed technician or other staff members, the rest of us actually have to pay for child care.

No work life balance. After all if they can make you work 13 hour days, why should they hire more staff? If you are short staffed and you don't fill the position quickly enough (because you are looking for someone who fits into your facility) be prepared to lose it. After all if you didn't fill it you must not need it.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away the power of the onsite management. Making everything go through someone in a different state who has never worked in a clinic (or outside of a cubicle) makes no sense and makes your staff feel de-valued. You have made it obvious that you are weaning out on site management with the way you keep taking away their basic job functions. But you aren't helping your hospitals, you are just making your employees stressed and angry.

Come and see our hospital and staff at work - in 2 years our regional manager has come to our clinic twice, and she is supposed to meet with our management team monthly. Get to know us and see what we can do, we're here because we love this field, let us do what we love.

Stop shuffling the regional managers around - at this point we all know your just promoting people who have failed at their previous positions, but you can't fire them because we're a CA based company. Promoting these people doesn't fix the problem (because there is obviously a problem), it just moves the problem to a different area.

Stop trying to pretend you aren't imitating Banfield. Just merge with them already. Every time you roll out a new "client program" everyone can see that it's following Banfield. We get it, Banfield makes money. If you want to imitate Banfield so badly, why don't you start paying us what they make? After all they pay more than VCA does.

You talk about making VCA a truly successful company that has client loyalty. But if you look at the successful companies like Google, Starbucks, and others, you'll see that they start with supporting their employees, and making sure they have employee loyalty. How do you expect your staff to sell VCA as an awesome place that clients should love and be loyal to, when the employees don't feel that way? You've skipped a major step in following all those successful companies. Instead of decreasing benefits and taking away things that make employees happy and makes them feel valued, try giving something back to your employees to show them they matter. If your staff loves your company, they will show that and clients will see it. And if clients see staff loving their clinics and jobs, they will love them too.

Founded by venture capitalists, not veterinarians, the focus is on sales and profits rather than a vets oath.

I worked at VCA Antech (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement if you are willing to go the corporate route.
    Job security.
    Easy to relocate.
    Opportunity to train. Frequent paid seminars.

Cons

Poor pay, worse benefits.
    Emphasis is on profit and sales, rather than the veterinarians oath.
    Employees are expected to be equally good salesmen as vets, technicians, etc.

RSS Feed </> Embed