VCA Antech Reviews

156 reviews filtered by
1.9
VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

Only in it for corporate profit.

Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The other employees, who genuinely care about the outcome for clients and patients.

Cons

We are all getting swindled. Tha Antins have built an empire on the blood sweat and tears of good hard working people they overwork and under pay

Too corporate for me

Current Employee - RVT
    Current Employee - RVT

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The location I work for is a busy practice, so I gained a lot of experience quickly there.

Cons

All they care about is money. You have to negotiate hard for any raises or CE reimbursement. They care more about selling their wellness plans and making sure everyone wears the proper uniform than actually practicing quality medicine and they'll try to get you to work 50 or 60 hour weeks unless you stand up for yourself and protect your free time.

Start focusing on getting and keeping quality staff and I bet you the money will follow. A bunch of new, inexperienced staff and doctors all fumbling around is never going to win you client trust and drives away those of us who want to be proud of their work at the end of the day.

Don't believe the recruitment ads.

Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, 401K and "some" decisions are made at a local level. And that is being nice.

Cons

The immediate money is what counts at this company; pet and pet owners are secondary. And staff is at the bottom of the scale!!! 3 paid holidays per year!! And raises/salaries are low, yearly only, no matter how hard you work. Drs are asked to do unpaid duties all the time; and they will add to your contract at their discretion! You can leave if you do not like it. There is no interest to change anything.
    Many successful hospitals are being run into the ground by management who refuse to understand that customer service (after hours availability, care not to raises fee so high, happy staff, maintained facilities, ....) was the reason for the success.

Get out of California and truly visit your hospitals. Spend some time seeing what works and what does not (our regional people would stay an hour or two every so often, and totally ignored the majority of the staff). Have true feedback from the clients (we were instructed to report only positive feedback !!!). Stay more local, pet owners who want to do a lot for their pets are a different breed; try to understand their mentality better. And please, take better care of your workforce. Read veterinary magazines, specially the ones that are staff oriented!! And have the support office truly support the hospitals. We stopped calling to get help after a while, they were never aware or knowledgable. And sometimes the calls ended up putting some of our staff in trouble... If we mentioned any medical conditions, personal problems, etc, ; we would end up being hounded for months with unreasonable questions.

Horrible - stay away

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

Seeing clients with their animals

Cons

Regional Management-Corporate environment - HIGHLY profit driven without regard for employees - poor management

Get with the program and try to dig deeper to find out why your turnover is so high. Teach management how to manage!

Discriminates

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Good CE benefits. 401 k plan, pays professional fees. Health and dental benefits Pays a doctor's commission I you exceed your monthly quota for production.

Cons

I worked at this hospital for 11 years. Once VCA took over I was discriminated against because of my alternative lifestyle. Management continuously harassed me.

Be more tolerant of your employees who are not neurotypical.

If you like inconsistency this is the place for you.

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Nice pet discount for employees.

Cons

No overtime. Insurance expensive for what is covered.

Need more organization in running the office. Spend less time on personal cell phones and shopping on the internet. Consider how much the inferior employees dedicate themselves who are not in management and not discredit them. Unfortunately with hour and pay cuts that I was subjected to at times left me without much needed medication. Even with the insurance couldn't even afford to get them. Now paying the price with renal damage.

Cares more about the money than quality animal care.

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The discounts for your pets is nice, monthly meetings to keep employees up to speed with new policies.

Cons

Everything else. Management is conniving. The threat of being fired is always looming. Not a lot of focus on the client services. Be prepared to loose hours in order for vca to make their monthly budget.

Pay more attention to your clients and employee morale.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Doctors are great Technicians go above and beyond. The front desk people are with few exceptions hard working and helpful.

Cons

Regarding the management: I have never seen a company run with the junior high school mentality. If a certain manager doesn't like you, you will eventually be fired. If it takes lies and distortion to do it then this certain manager will not hesitate to stoop to that level. This manager can accomplish her goals with the total blind eyes and deaf ears of upper management.

Listen and pay attention.

Embarrassed to say I work here

Current Employee - Kennel Assistant
    Current Employee - Kennel Assistant

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the benefits were decent. I did like the 401K plan. However, instead of focusing on quality of care for our clients, the focus is strictly on how much money we make them. Period. It doesn't matter how bad the service is as long as we make the budget at the end of the day. It's ridiculous.

Cons

They cut our staff and cut our pay. The management is conniving, always looking to penny pinch our clients and short change the employees. We have lost so many clients since VCA bought our wonderful little practice that I'm embarrassed to say I work here. Instead of focusing on quality of care, they focus on quantity of clients, no matter how rushed and incomplete the care may be. I am currently researching other job opportunities, which brought to this fabulous little website.

Stop treating your employees like cattle and invest in your staff, not stretch them to the breaking point.

VCA

Current Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, can bring pets to work

Cons

Management sucks on all levels

Listen to your employees!!

VCA Antech Photos