VCA Antech Reviews

Reset

Front Office Stace

Current Employee - Csr1 in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organized for the most part with policies for clients(i.e charges, estimates, promotions)

Cons

lack of pay/ "budget company gives for everyone's raises annually" vs how much they make

Advice to Management

Show employees how much they mean to you with giving bigger budgets for managers to give out for raises

I'm starving before going to work.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some brilliant doctors and technicians; I have awesome coworkers. There are literally no other pros.

Cons

VCA overcharges for their services, and pays their employees next to nothing, so where does that money go? How is somebody supposed to support a child on an $11 an hour wage? I asked for a raise and got less than 25 cents. Management doesn't treat employees with any respect.

Advice to Management

When your employees have needs, don't treat them like garbage. Especially when you expect your employees to bend over backwards to cover your own needs.

Job Security with Stress, Anxiety and Evil Overlords

Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, they are always hiring due to extremely high turn over. Availability to transfer to other areas/states when moving. Good pet discount for 4 of your pets, if you have more you're screwed, you can't even purchased the packages offered to clients. Get to do good work, get to know clients and their amazing pets. Making a difference in pets lives. Able to bring your pets to work. On site management is good.

Cons

Corporate and regional managers are so far removed from actual clinics that they have no understanding of how the clinics function. Regional managers don't respond to requests, phone calls or emails, but they come running if your profits drop. Unable to get help from corporate office when needed. Extremely low pay, you will make more at a fast food restaurant or waiting tables. Extremely expensive health care benefits with very high deductibles, if you get sick you're going to be in debt. Overtime is expected, not appreciated. Extremely high turnover. Pet discount is great for 4 pets, but if you go over there is nothing you can do. Most employees have more than 4 pets, many go to Banfield to get care for the additional pets, just for the lower costs. As an employee you can't even purchase the packages offered to clients. Promotions into management are based on who can blow smoke the best, skills and hard work make no difference. The more you lie and don't do your job, the better your chances of moving into a regional position. Based out of CA, no matter what state you are in you have to do everything by way of CA, doing a basic coaching can take 2 to 6 weeks to get approved - by then no one remembers why someone needed to be coached. Too profit oriented - profit is important, but shorting hospitals because you refuse to pay reasonable wages, or purchase basic necessary equipment, or replace staff puts pets at risk. And this is acceptable to the corporate overlords, because it saves money in the short term. Being forced to provide free day care to the on staff doctors - expect the doctors to bring their children to work with them 4 out of 5 days, and while they are working, their children are running around the hospital, disturbing post-op patients, interrupting critical patient care, disturbing clients, and having chair races in the treatment area. Okay for the doctors, but not allowed technician or other staff members, the rest of us actually have to pay for child care. No work life balance. After all if they can make you work 13 hour days, why should they hire more staff? If you are short staffed and you don't fill the position quickly enough (because you are looking for someone who fits into your facility) be prepared to lose it. After all if you didn't fill it you must not need it.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away the power of the onsite management. Making everything go through someone in a different state who has never worked in a clinic (or outside of a cubicle) makes no sense and makes your staff feel de-valued. You have made it obvious that you are weaning out on site management with the way you keep taking away their basic job functions. But you aren't helping your hospitals, you are just making your employees stressed and angry. Come and see our hospital and staff at work - in 2 years our regional manager has come to our clinic twice, and she is supposed to meet with our management team monthly. Get to know us and see what we can do, we're here because we love this field, let us do what we love. Stop shuffling the regional managers around - at this point we all know your just promoting people who have failed at their previous positions, but you can't fire them because we're a CA based company. Promoting these people doesn't fix the problem (because there is obviously a problem), it just moves the problem to a different area. Stop trying to pretend you aren't imitating Banfield. Just merge with them already. Every time you roll out a new "client program" everyone can see that it's following Banfield. We get it, Banfield makes money. If you want to imitate Banfield so badly, why don't you start paying us what they make? After all they pay more than VCA does. You talk about making VCA a truly successful company that has client loyalty. But if you look at the successful companies like Google, Starbucks, and others, you'll see that they start with supporting their employees, and making sure they have employee loyalty. How do you expect your staff to sell VCA as an awesome place that clients should love and be loyal to, when the employees don't feel that way? You've skipped a major step in following all those successful companies. Instead of decreasing benefits and taking away things that make employees happy and makes them feel valued, try giving something back to your employees to show them they matter. If your staff loves your company, they will show that and clients will see it. And if clients see staff loving their clinics and jobs, they will love them too.

Founded by venture capitalists, not veterinarians, the focus is on sales and profits rather than a vets oath.

I worked at VCA Antech (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement if you are willing to go the corporate route. Job security. Easy to relocate. Opportunity to train. Frequent paid seminars.

Cons

Poor pay, worse benefits. Emphasis is on profit and sales, rather than the veterinarians oath. Employees are expected to be equally good salesmen as vets, technicians, etc.

There is no respect given to employees.

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

The people working there, for the most part, really do care about your animal.

Cons

Low wages, zero respect, questionable morals. All this company wants to do is make mass amounts of money, they need to understand they cant step on everyone, including their customers. They buy low and sell very high and then claim supremacy.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring employees with no experience just so you don't have to pay higher wages. I think the company can afford it.

Revenue Accountant

Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

There is no best reason to work for this company

Cons

Work is endless process and you work more than 10 hrs a day. They only want you to work and don't live your life

Advice to Management

Should start thinking about their employees rather than focusing on making more money for the shareholders.

Reception

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have multi able areas

Cons

High school drama with the doctors. Insurance sucks especially after the doctors get it for free and the staff has to pay for it. Up sale every thing. Out for the money not for the pet.

Antech Diagnostics Not Recommended...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, a parking lot and close to bus stops. There are some nice co-workers. You can learn how the corporate culture works, which may be useful for avoiding it in your future.

Cons

Long hours for every job position, low pay, half hour lunch breaks, expensive healthcare options with huge deductibles, disrespect from supervisors, bathroom breaks are scrutinized for time and frequency. Overtime is expected but not appreciated. Good work is over looked, you will never hear the words "good job". Any mistake is exaggerated beyond rational expectations. Jobs here are mainly entry level, even when they sound like so much more on the interview. Plan to learn fast and move on from this "stepping-stone" company with an extremely high turn-over rate.

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay, stop the 8.5 hour workday, add a one hour, paid lunch break. Being treated like a valuable employee starts there, the returns to the company can be huge. There is a lot more work to be done. Every single person with any subordinates should be required to attend meetings designed to help them properly deal with employees.

Only in it for corporate profit.

Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The other employees, who genuinely care about the outcome for clients and patients.

Cons

We are all getting swindled. Tha Antins have built an empire on the blood sweat and tears of good hard working people they overwork and under pay

Too corporate for me

Current Employee - RVT
    Current Employee - RVT

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The location I work for is a busy practice, so I gained a lot of experience quickly there.

Cons

All they care about is money. You have to negotiate hard for any raises or CE reimbursement. They care more about selling their wellness plans and making sure everyone wears the proper uniform than actually practicing quality medicine and they'll try to get you to work 50 or 60 hour weeks unless you stand up for yourself and protect your free time.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on getting and keeping quality staff and I bet you the money will follow. A bunch of new, inexperienced staff and doctors all fumbling around is never going to win you client trust and drives away those of us who want to be proud of their work at the end of the day.

RSS Feed </> Embed