VCA Antech Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
2.1

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Atrocious Work Environment, Uncaring of Employee's!

Former Employee - R V T Registered Veterinary Technician in Sebastopol, CA
    Former Employee - R V T Registered Veterinary Technician in Sebastopol, CA

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pet discounts on medical services, vaccines, rx's and food.

Cons

Lack of communication and order between VCA hospitals. Doctors treated technicians and assistants with disrespect. They expect a high level of professionalism and performance from their employees, but you don't seem to get the same treatment.
    As an employee you aren't treated like part of a team or a family. You are treated as someone who can easily be replaced at any given time, so there is no leniency for life situations that happen like being sick, family passing away, or minute human mistakes.
    Unethical company policy related to the way certain tests and medical services seem to be pushed on clients. Hospital protocols aren't backed up by current veterinary evidence-based medicine. :^(

Treat employees with more respect. Have better communication between hosptals and more consistancy with training and management.

Pretty good people to work with

Current Employee - Cafeteria Worker in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Cafeteria Worker in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very handicapped accessible. Management is very nice. Congenial work atmosphere. Everybody cleans up in the cafeteria and free pizza Fridays

Cons

Cafeteria workers don't get paid enough, even though there is Free Pizza Fridays nobody smiles at them, or leaves money in their tip jar.

Give the cafeteria workers a raise why don't cha?

Long hours, no breaks, poor management, always filling in for kennels, underpaid, no appreciation

Current Employee - RVT in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - RVT in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can bring dog to work and employee discounts are good. Free CE.

Cons

Paid less than vet assistants, fill in for kennel staff that is allowed to take time off during holidays or when they don't show. Treated like someone with no knowledge or say in the care of a patient. Some teamwork depending on the day and whats being done. Gossip runs wild. No positivity. Poor incentive to continue working in this company. Staff meetings are all talk no action. usually scheduled through surgery time so not everyone can enjoy. Run you ragged and don't care..They say they do but don't bother to change it.

Be a team player. Value the good workers you have. Advocate for them to earn a decent living. Instead of a pin for a year service, provide a bonus instead. Something to feed the family and not rust out in a draw somewhere.

they violate labor laws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I worked at VCA Antech full-time

Pros

it was a job that paid and it was in science

Cons

I went many times without lunch until my shift was over, and I was talked to like I was not working fast enough. I quit after 2 months. If I have to stay overtime, you better pay me what is required. The management makes all the money... they should all be ashamed of themselves. I can't believe their stocks are doing so well.

Loose the dumb attitude.

No appreciation at all,it was never good enough for them!

Former Employee - Certified/Supervisor Vet Tech in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Certified/Supervisor Vet Tech in Danbury, CT

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its better than starving to death or living under a bridge in a cardboard box.one perk discounted pet care.

Cons

Greedy,selfish,noncareing upper management.it was always about the money to them!never in touch with the the real world.

Instead of having all those worthless meetings that make you all feel oh so important visit your hospitals and find out what's really going on in them.you may be surprised!!!!!!

only because I love animals

Current Employee - ICU Technician in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - ICU Technician in Newark, DE

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can use my technical skills to improve/save animals lives.

Cons

Extremely poor pay and benefits. In the four years of current employment we have never been fully staffed to provide the care we are charging outrageously for. I am required to put in 60 days notice for vacation due to said staffing issues, even then it may not happen. I work 12 hour shifts with NO break for meals. I have had several kidney infections due to lack of break/down time. Those kidney infections were paid for by Medicare since I can not afford the insurance provided by the company. If ever I try to talk to upper management about any of the issues mention, the conversation goes around in circles about how bad the economy is and budget cuts. Ive never received a bonus of any kind, or any token of appreciation besides a flimsy pin that says VCA and a number representing my time of employment. I get $1-4,000 estimates signed for their services, 3-4 times daily, that people cannot afford but for the love and care of the pets being treated. We made millions in profit this year, man the economy is soooo bad.

Cut back on management since they arent really performing any service to the clients or pets. You have so many meetings to talk talk talk about issues that have no real impact on your day to day operations. "Client centered, pet focused" ------- if you dont mind not actually receiving help for less than signing over your first born. And by the way you shouldnt be a manager or supervisor if you cant manage to work a vending machine

The company undervalues it's employees

Current Employee - Licensed Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an emergency vet office, you will gain a lot of clinical skills and experience. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

No room for job growth. Maximum of 3% raise yearly, and that is only given to 10% of employees or so. Limited benefits. Expensive health care options that don't cover much. At my office most technicians work day, evening, and overnight often all within the same week! These may not all be true at other locations.

When you pay people who aren't qualified the same as people who payed for school and got licensed, you are seriously undervaluing those employees. Currently the best technicians use your company for a couple of years experience, then move on to somewhere with better pay where they will be valued by the employer.

The employees at Antech are the hardest working people I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The employees are terrific and loyal.

Cons

Not enough employees can be hired.

Appreciate your employees

Sweat shop disguised as a lab.

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The eye opening experience of realizing that there are companies that will release employees from the fear of being exposed. People that have an IQ equal too or above that of a grapefruit will be let go and replaced by sheep. Young cheap clones that are easily hard wired and taught the gospel according to Antech. These people are not shocked and appalled by what they see or what they are asked to do because they are completely blanked out slates that are clueless to what is going on. This is the desired product. They engineer and spit them out like sunflower seeds. The Antech motto is 'what they don't know can't hurt them (or more importantly us) and if they develope a brain and figure it out latter, make up a reason to fire them'.

Cons

Antech is not a lab. Instead, it is a medical sweat shop. Without question the worst professional experience of my lifetime. This company is all about crunching numbers. Unfortunately it's not lab numbers. Instead, it's profit numbers and they will go to any length to get them. The ownership level has chosen to use the harrasment and intimidation philosophy rather than the keep employees happy and appreciate what they do for you philosophy. This is passed on to the middle management level. Since all of the intelligent ones (middle management) left long ago, what remains is a crew of scared little boys that would sell their mothers and children to get the results that are required of them.

Just keep doing what you are doing because your cognitive abilities wont allow you to figure it out on your own. I'll help. The only reason that you are still working with Antech is because you have a very simple mind and posses all of the quallities of a yes man. I am certain that you will be compensated well for being aloof and truly unconcerned with the many lives that you have had to screw over in order to put out the cheapest product you can and still get away with. I would suggest simply making up lab results (which they are pretty close to now) in order to save money but that would qualify me for an upper management level position and I have no desire to work at that place. Antech has been running in the red for a long time and it will not survive much longer. A buyout or merger is simply a matter of time. So my advise to the remaining managers is pucker up, the times they are a changing.

Horrible experience..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing is that you were helping animals.
    Some employees were nicer than others. People at the Atlanta office were great, very helpful and so pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Rude, nasty co worker..made job very unpleasant..reason I left. I am at a place of employment now where there are no nasty coworkers..you don't have to be like that, and I love it!!

So glad I am out of there!!!!!! Working at a place now where people are actually NICE to each other..what a difference..

VCA Antech Photos