VCA Antech Reviews

156 reviews filtered by

typical corporate america!

Current Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

steady pay.
    i know what I am doing
    umm... some people are not totally fake!

Cons

ill dish out the dirt later. i have to be poetic about this.

get a heart, learn to listen. apply said stuff.

Horrid!!

Former Employee - Cvt in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Cvt in Portland, OR

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic staff, I've never worked with such skilled assistants. Good pet discounts (only 4 pets though!), and due to size of VCA, discounts are available at specialty clinics.

Cons

Staff members are just numbers to management. "Understaffed" doesn't even begin to cover it. It's scary to think about how much we did with how few people. There were days I worked 14 hours, left after 9pm, back at 7 am. Nothing was appreciated though, no one ever says "thank you", instead we constantly got in trouble for overtime. VCA runs staff members til they drop, then dumps them. Benefits suck - insurance was unaffordable, only 3 holidays. It's very much a corporation and sometimes all about $$$ - there were many days I felt like a used car sales man.

Invest in your staff members, the corporation will benefit!! Appreciation goes a long way! At least pay nationally recognized holidays!

3. Good benefits, decent wages

Current Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement.

Cons

Could have better hours offered

Not much different than most other hospitals in the area.

Current Employee - Certified Veterinary Technician in Cheshire, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Veterinary Technician in Cheshire, CT

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

job security working for a large corp, pet benefits, decent health insurance, multiple job opportunities in other locations,

Cons

management that doesn't listen, and is non-complaint with its own rules and regulations, no raises or performance reviews for years at a time, will work employees until they drop with no care about work/life balance.

I have a lot to say, but they wouldn't listen...

Not worth staying long term.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at VCA Antech part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals and having a good relationship with coworkers.

Cons

For the most part VCA Denver employees are like a family. Employees here work very hard to keep clients happy. They stick together because deep down know that the corporation side of the business ignores what goes on. Year after year, employees work flexible shifts, deal with sometimes irate clients, are responsible for more than the job descriptions state and yet DO NOT GET RAISES. Benefits are offered, but most can not afford to pay into this. Discounts are given, but that too does not pay your bills. Trying to go overtime here is a no no. Some people work 40 hours a week here and part time somewhere else. What?! They shouldn't have to! It leaves very little time for their families. Most people come to work everyday and try to stay positive given the situation, but it gets very frustrating knowing no changes are made. Employees can't be the ones to make these changes. This has to start with Supervisors, Managers, Administration etc. The turnover rate is unlike anything I've ever seen before. This place has lost wonderful employees. Off the top of my head I'd say I've seen VCA Denver lose nearly 30-40 people a year. That is horrible. How is this even acceptable? For one reason, the hospital takes in many Bel Rea Institute Interns which is great for learning purposes but to a long term employee who has been their for years with no raise and decides to move on from the company, they don't feel valued. They are replaceable by students and forgotten about. It seems as if VCA does not even bother trying to keep anyone here and they are losing some really great people. Very sad.

7. Great company, but the pay isn't great.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a big company, so you are covered with all of you lunches and breaks.
    You can transfer to other VCA's across the country if you move.
    The discount is amazing if you have sick pets.

Cons

The pay isn't great. They expect a lot for a little. Hours can be hard to come by.

Tech

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, that's pretty much it.

Cons

Upper management thinks so highly of themselves they fail to remember they are also human beings. They expect you to do tasks that they simply don't want to do, expecting you to drop anything your doing at the drop of a hat. Deppressing environment.

Maybe training would be a good idea for EVERYONE. Upper management needs to understand the world doesn't revolve around them and a team environment would be much more helpful. Also, hiring people who are just there for a check and don't really care cause the people who docare a lot more headache.

They are expensive and they do not pay well.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pet discount is great at 75% off.

Cons

The rate of pay is terrible even for the amount of experience I had. There is not really an opportunity to move up in the company.

Great but awful all at the same time.

Current Employee - EC Vet Tech in Warrensville Heights, OH
    Current Employee - EC Vet Tech in Warrensville Heights, OH

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time

Pros

Quality facility/equipment, knowledgeable doctors. Very caring staff. Try to do the right thing with the leniency we have for the pets and owners. Best pay in area for EC.

Cons

Management is poorly managed, lack of a better term. Attempts at micromanaging don't go over well. Complete disconnect from upper mgmt. New hires are not trained, just thrown to the wolves. It's is a corporation, run that way, money always comes before patient care, unless individual doctors take the risk and "break the rules".

Try harder to show that your employees matter. We are not just a number and a list of skill sets. Some skilled employees don't deserve the job, some unskilled ones are better workers that others will ever be.

Not paid what you're worth no matter how experienced or educated you are

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with animals and gaining experience in that field. Chance to gain promotions but it is difficult and usually requires someone leaving their job post. Health care and 401 K for full time employees but if you make only $9 an hour it's a big chunk taken out of your already dismal paycheck.

Cons

Pay is terrible and you only get a raise once a year and it's not even a good one. Since the pay isn't very good you work with a lot of people right out of high school or people who don't care and are just there to get a pay check to have one. The cost of living is very high and they don't pay you enough to be able to live on your own even if you're full time. If you're a veterinarian then you're fine but people on the lower pay scale suffer.

Listen to employees concerns. Hire people with better experience and maturity. Be more proactive in letting the company heads know that we employees are worth more than what they give us. Employees who are educated and experienced should be treated as such and get the pay and perks they deserve. This would be a great company to work for if we were treated like we actually mattered.

VCA Antech Photos