VCA Antech

Updated November 18, 2014
2.1

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The employees at Antech are the hardest working people I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The employees are terrific and loyal.

Cons

Not enough employees can be hired.

Appreciate your employees

Sweat shop disguised as a lab.

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The eye opening experience of realizing that there are companies that will release employees from the fear of being exposed. People that have an IQ equal too or above that of a grapefruit will be let go and replaced by sheep. Young cheap clones that are easily hard wired and taught the gospel according to Antech. These people are not shocked and appalled by what they see or what they are asked to do because they are completely blanked out slates that are clueless to what is going on. This is the desired product. They engineer and spit them out like sunflower seeds. The Antech motto is 'what they don't know can't hurt them (or more importantly us) and if they develope a brain and figure it out latter, make up a reason to fire them'.

Cons

Antech is not a lab. Instead, it is a medical sweat shop. Without question the worst professional experience of my lifetime. This company is all about crunching numbers. Unfortunately it's not lab numbers. Instead, it's profit numbers and they will go to any length to get them. The ownership level has chosen to use the harrasment and intimidation philosophy rather than the keep employees happy and appreciate what they do for you philosophy. This is passed on to the middle management level. Since all of the intelligent ones (middle management) left long ago, what remains is a crew of scared little boys that would sell their mothers and children to get the results that are required of them.

Just keep doing what you are doing because your cognitive abilities wont allow you to figure it out on your own. I'll help. The only reason that you are still working with Antech is because you have a very simple mind and posses all of the quallities of a yes man. I am certain that you will be compensated well for being aloof and truly unconcerned with the many lives that you have had to screw over in order to put out the cheapest product you can and still get away with. I would suggest simply making up lab results (which they are pretty close to now) in order to save money but that would qualify me for an upper management level position and I have no desire to work at that place. Antech has been running in the red for a long time and it will not survive much longer. A buyout or merger is simply a matter of time. So my advise to the remaining managers is pucker up, the times they are a changing.

The company undervalues it's employees

Current Employee - Licensed Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an emergency vet office, you will gain a lot of clinical skills and experience. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

No room for job growth. Maximum of 3% raise yearly, and that is only given to 10% of employees or so. Limited benefits. Expensive health care options that don't cover much. At my office most technicians work day, evening, and overnight often all within the same week! These may not all be true at other locations.

When you pay people who aren't qualified the same as people who payed for school and got licensed, you are seriously undervaluing those employees. Currently the best technicians use your company for a couple of years experience, then move on to somewhere with better pay where they will be valued by the employer.

Horrible experience..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing is that you were helping animals.
    Some employees were nicer than others. People at the Atlanta office were great, very helpful and so pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Rude, nasty co worker..made job very unpleasant..reason I left. I am at a place of employment now where there are no nasty coworkers..you don't have to be like that, and I love it!!

So glad I am out of there!!!!!! Working at a place now where people are actually NICE to each other..what a difference..

overall a positive experience

Current Employee - Registered Veterinary Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Veterinary Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

best co-workers and up to date facility

Cons

management out of sync with employees, often understaffed

be more on the floor, need to put patients first

Not good to their employees

Current Employee - Hospital Manager
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Seem to try to promote from within.

Cons

There is a very high turn over rate with employees. They do not give valid compensation for promotions, the health and vacation benefits are severely lacking and there is a huge disconnect from upper level management and the employees. As a hospital manager you are kind of left in the middle, fighting for your employees and your clients, but getting told "no" by the higher ups. The upper level management seems much more concerned with keeping themselves comfortable than with advancing the company or keeping the employees happy.

Be willing to try to keep employees working with/for your company. Pay them what they deserve and what they can get from other companies!

Go Elsewhere

Former Employee - Receptionist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

That it's open 24 hours.

Cons

DO NOT go to this clinic. I've seen pets handled roughly by irritated technicians, I've heard technicians/veterinarians speak hatefully of their clients, and the "clique" attitude between coworkers is atrocious. There is a lot of work place bullying and gossip. The prices are steep as well. It's all about money for them. Recently they started pushing for a physical exam if you haven't been in within the past month, instead of having an exam semi-annually or annually, which adds on to the cost of whatever you originally went in for. If it's busy, expect to wait at least an hour to be seen, even if you had an appointment. I've seen clients wait in rooms at least two hours before their visit was over. Don't waste your time here.

Sensitivity training, hire people with better attitudes and work ethic.

I have worked as a Veterinary technician and extern.

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a large corporation that doesn't cause fluctuations in paychecks and it is easy to transfer all benefits from one hospital to another.

Cons

It is a corporation so it is difficult to make changes that benefit the hospital since most policies are made by California.

Management has been fairly inadequate. They create policies without regard for what is best for employee morale and in many cases hurts patient care.

Not bad but not great

Former Employee - Receptionist in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at VCA Antech part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are generally awesome. Great work culture. Open round the clock to service clients. No inter-personnel issues between employees.

Cons

Management is sub-par and rude. Manages from an "up above" attitude. Out of touch with staff. Workplace can be very stressful but doesn't really become an issue because of the great staff.

Listen to your employees, don't play favorites, address workplace issues

Underappreciated

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The doctors and others I work with are great. Employee discount is generous.

Cons

Site-specific and corporate management habitually devalue employees until they leave or lose all enthusiasm.

Invest in employees who work hard and are committed.

VCA Antech Photos