VDC Research Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Mitch Solomon

1. Great entry-level experience.

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Natick, MA

I have been working at VDC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently started working at VDC as a junior analyst, and my experience has been very positive.

The firm is split into multiple, small, extremely focused practices that are jointly overseen by the two EVP's who run the company. Many of the past Glassdoor reviews reflect the poor leadership and management of the CEO who has stepped away from the company to pursue other opportunities.

Because each practice area is so specialized, the quality and relevance of the research is extremely high. The senior analysts are experts in their fields, they work hard, and they have high but realistic expectations of new employees and interns. I was sitting in on small meetings and engaging with very large clients within the first week of joining.

There is a good mix of custom consulting projects as well as syndicated, general research. This leads to healthy work hours, as you will not be expected to wait hand and foot on clients all of the time, as you would in IB or big 4 consulting.

Because the firm is so small, the personality of each analyst is very important in the overall makeup of the company culture. Every employee is earnest and ethical. This makes for a great company culture with no drama and no misgivings about the company's reputation.

The dress code is great, hours are flexible (as long as you get your tasks done), benefits are on-par with any other company.

Overall a very healthy work environment at an honest company that has done well to carve out a relevant niche in the tech market research industry.

Cons

There is no formal training, but this doesn't matter too much do to the fact that you're immediately working on projects and learning from coworkers who are always willing to take some time out to help.

Some of the tools we use are outdated.

The brand could be a lot stronger with some modification to the public-facing tools such as the website, social media, business cards, even just putting a sign outside the building.

Advice to Management

Great job turning the company around so far from what I can see. Looking forward to helping the company grow.

2. Research Analyst Intern

Former Employee - Research Analyst Intern in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst Intern in Natick, MA

I worked at VDC Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for a starter internship. You will be exposed to the real work right away and you don't have to take the time to go through all of the "corporate BS" that you experience at large corporations. The employees there are all warm and nice and they promote a casual office environment. All managers seemed very flexible.

Cons

The pay was a bit low

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't expand too quickly but at the same time, don't stay as a static company.

Somewhat Unstable

I worked at VDC Research

Pros

VDC is a small research and consulting firm, which allows for a fairly low level of latency is decision making.

We produced research that had its own small market niche which the larger research firms didn't care to address.

Cons

Somewhat unstable strategic direction and frequent stops and starts.

Lack of consistency in most facets of VDC's business.

Two years ago, VDC felt that drone research was the next big thing.

Today, the websites for Aironovo Advisors and Northeast Drone News (VDC's previous start-up sister firms focusing on the business of drones) no longer exist.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to invest heavily in employee training and retention. Increase pay and benefits for those employees who have stayed with VDC through all the layoff cycles.

I would have stayed, but I was able to make more money elsewhere.

Not the best experience

I have been working at VDC Research

Pros

seemed like they did some cool work. Also seemed pretty laid back and into their work. Location was nice, going away from the traffic

Cons

didnt seem very friendly, didn't seem like they cared very much for interns. Took forever to reply to my intern application. Also seemed very cheap

Advice to Management

come across as friendlier

Could Be Sooooo Much Better

I have been working at VDC Research

Pros

VDC can sometimes offer good work / life balance.

VDC has very convenient rented office space in an older building in Natick, Massachusetts.

The building owners finally sold the property in May 2014 for $2.7 million, after having it on the market for months at $3.2 million.

Cons

VDC is a small company that stumbles regularly with its identity.

Little to no opportunity for growth and advancement at VDC.

High employee turnover over the past 3 years.

Office space showing its advanced age.

Advice to Management

Sorry, I just can't get too excited about this small firm. Could be much better.

A Dreary Place to Work

I have been working at VDC Research

Pros

Glassdoor allows VDC's current and former employees to offer constructive factual observations of VDC and VDC's management team.

This small firm's work-life balance is its biggest attribute. Location is good, too.

Cons

No professional growth at VDC

Substandard salary and benefits at VDC when compared with other research firms.

Despite being a small company, VDC is usually late with new research ideas and industry thought leadership.

Staff layoffs occur at regular intervals; as business conditions change.

Advice to Management

Change is healthy, as is this constructive and truthful feedback. We're praying this feedback will help facilitate much needed change.

Be careful before choosing VDC as the next step in your career

Current Employee - Industry Analyst in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Industry Analyst in Natick, MA

I have been working at VDC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Central location just off Rt. 9

Only have to work 4 out of every 5 days

Cons

While VDC offers some nice perks such as free coffee, the career and salary advancement opportunities at VDC are non-existent. After working at VDC for over 2 years I have yet to see any of my fellow employees earn a decent promotion. Raises are on the order of 5% annually or less, which is not much considering the low base of under 60,000 that many of us work for. We also receive no 401k match which should tell you exactly how management feels about the work force. Here at VDC we are subject to something called salary secrecy where we are encouraged not to discuss our salary with other employees. This is an illegal practice which is why organizations like GlassDoor are so important for us. A new candidate will quickly notice that there are no senior employees left at the company even after 40 years of operation. If you are interviewing at VDC, make sure to interview with the MBAs, CFAs, or some other sort of industry accredited analyst.

Advice to Management

Offer training programs so that we can advance our careers. We so very much want to work with new software and learn new skills so that we can enhance our productivity.

Smart People + Interesting Work = Good Experience

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Natick, MA

I worked at VDC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liked the people I worked with. Liked my clients. Liked some of the custom research projects I got to work on (wish there were more of these). Liked the qual & quant aspects of the job. Good comp & benefits.

Cons

More training would be good. More travel. Would have liked more media exposure. Late nights and some weekends during key client deadlines.

Advice to Management

More parties. Fix the AC...I called my cubicle "the ice cube." Ha ha...More training for sales.

Valuable Step in My Career

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Natick, MA

I have been working at VDC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My time at VDC provided me with opportunities to develop in a number of different ways that I think were pretty valuable. The work was intellectually challenging, my contribution really mattered (since it's a relatively small company...no hiding here), I had to juggle a pretty wide variety of tasks which challenged my ability to organize and prioritize, and there was a good balance of qualitative and quantitative work. I was generally impressed with my colleagues and my boss / management, and feel I grew quite a bit during my time here.

Cons

There are some office politics here that I think could be toned down for the betterment of the company. Also big clients tended to push us around a bit, which sometimes made the workload pretty significant and hard to manage. There are a lot of expectations placed on you here, so expectations for performance are pretty high.

Advice to Management

Divide work among various tiers of staff to free senior people to do higher value-adding work.

Getting Paid to Learn

I have been working at VDC Research full-time

Pros

VDC does pretty cool work for its clients, even though I had never heard of them before interviewing. Company is a quiet competitor to IDC and other big research firms, but with niche expertise that clients value. I'm learning a ton about key tech markets, including what's going on with iOS vs. Android and why, and talking regularly with exces who are really influencing the market, and basically getting paid to learn a ton. The work can be a bit solitary at times, but there are some decent opportunities for collaboration I suppose. Learning is really important to me at this point in my career, so this is a very good fit for what I was looking for.

Cons

I like the learning (see pros), but a lot of it is a function of what I teach myself. Colleagues are also good resources. Flexibility on work from home makes the office a little quiet sometimes. It also seems like it could take a fairly long time to develop deep subject matter expertise, so you have to be willing to pay your dues.

Advice to Management

Seems like current business model is working, but wonder about growth strategy...which I haven't really seen anything about.

RSS Feed </> Embed