VEP Healthcare

4.3

Steve Maron, M.D.

ER Physician Assistant

Current Employee - Physician Assistant

I have been working at VEP Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has had incredible growth over the past 7 years that I've been with them. Benefits are good when compared with other ER groups

Cons

The group has had some challenges growing from small group to large group. Some of the support departments (payroll, credentialing, HR) have had enormous turnover in staff and communication with providers regarding issues has not been as transparent as many of us would like

Keep the focus on the individual provider and not on exponential growth and VEP will maintain its culture and maintaing highly qualified staff

An Excellent Organization

Current Employee - Physician Assistant

I have been working at VEP Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Focused on Quality Care. VEP is an organization that values and supports its employees in way I have never seen from any other medical group. In my time with VEP, I have been afforded opportunities for professional growth that I never imagined. The support staff in our corporate office treats employees like customers, working consistently to improve benefits. The productivity model is second to none and the retirement / profit sharing is excellent. The physicians and mid levels enjoy a collegial environment based on respect and learning.

Cons

The only downside I can see would be having to leave VEP, I have done the research, and there is no equal for mid-level providers in the industry.

Stay the course, VEP Healthcare has a great leadership team.

Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at VEP Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and the lack of supervision if you are an employee who wants to not work or put in the hours but be paid a good salary. Most employees don't put in 8 hours but get paid as if they did put in 8 hours. They are doing personal errands and personal appointments, shopping

Cons

Lack of leadership and the executive team is a sorry bunch. The President does not know how to run a business but mixes personal favors to those who are favored. Pays off the directors and board members to keep quite

Get rid of the CEO/President! Plus a new CFO who is not afraid to speak up when she sees things that are wrong. An HR manager who is also not afraid to speak up and keep things professional and legal. But it is hard when you are threaten with the lost of your job

Perversion of Emergency Medicine

I worked at VEP Healthcare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lax environment(to the extent you are more productive).

Cons

Economics, however, overrides virtually all other concerns, including quality of patient care. In medical school, regardless of the specialty we eventually choose, we are taught that the H&P guides our evaluation of each chief complaint. With the intent of reducing "Doctor to patient" times metric, MLPs are placed in the position of initiating the patient evaluation. To minimize waiting times, as EDs are increasingly evaluating ever more patients, the MLP simply stamps his name on the chart, which stops the clock, and labs and imaging are ordered. All well and good, if a proper H&P were attempted, if the MLP were trained to obtain a reasonable H&P, which takes time and effort. At VEP sites, under pressure to reduce waiting times, % of LWBS, reduce complaints from patients, etc. no H&P is conducted prior to ordering labs, imaging, etc. Indeed, a fever noted in triage triggers "Levaquin" for the adult pt., to reduce that time to antibiotic administration for possible sepsis. Yet without an H&P, the ordering MLP has no basis to identify the source of the fever/sepsis, "but 1 dose of Levaquin can do no harm." Patients then return from Radiology(ordered by the MLP who has not conducted an H&P). As the MD, if a proper H&P is conducted, one realizes labs and the US to evaluate for the CC:7yo abdominal pain(and appendicitis which is on the Ddx), was absolutely unnecessary, since the CC was actually "sore throat," or H&P consistent with gastroenteritis, constipation, and other Dx which do not require labs or imaging. In the end, more patients are evaluated, many with unnecessary labs, imaging, Levaquin, generating additional revenue(though not necessarily for the MD). To the Co. there are fewer complaints, more revenue. To the uninsured patient, the cost of labs, US to evaluate possible appendicitis(all ordered by the MLP "upfront" can mean a cost of many hundreds of dollars(or more), reducing already limited disposable incomes. Metric madness, quantity at all cost(over quality) overrides any semblance of a "proper" medical practice. Should MD's even care anymore, as the practice is now determined exclusively by the Co's Board of the purported "democratic group?" who are driven to acquire ever more contracts, grow its "business/revenue/stock price," and with little regard for cost controls and quality. MD's have ceded all influence in how patients should be evaluated. Patients beware...MD's look carefully in the mirror...first do no harm.

VEP values quality and service as a function of cost.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at VEP Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. They take care of all employees, offer a great work environment, and emphasize delivery of high quality emergency and hospitalist medical care. Very patient oriented.

Cons

Must be with the group for one year before gaining the option to buy stock and become an owner.

Keep it up.

VEP is wonderful

Current Employee - Emergency Physician (IC Status) in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Emergency Physician (IC Status) in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VEP Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

VEP is the most democratic large group in Emergency Medicine. The company's leadership is totally engaged, and really cares about its physicians and employees. There is a family atmosphere that leads to fair treatment of all, and a very supportive atmosphere. Their focus on high quality care above all other concerns is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

None. VEP is fair, truly democratic, transparent, and their management team is of very high quality and exceptional moral character.

Top notch organization from upper management to all colleagues.

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VEP Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with VEP is great because the pay is fair, everyone contributes equally and all providers are top quality so you always have someone reliable to bounce ideas off of.

Cons

No cons I can think of. This group provides everything I could want as a mid-level provider in terms of compensation, benefits, autonomy and easy accessibility to my supervising physicians. If possible, a little more PTO would be nice but, overall a very robust benefits package for FTE.

It's nice to see the upper management around at monthly meetings. I think its good for moral and also shows that the higher ups really care about every site individually.

These are the best and most supportive group of Doctors I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Oakdale, CA
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Oakdale, CA

I worked at VEP Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They always were fair and above board in how they treated me. While working for them I developed a debilitating illness that rendered me temporary disabled. They could not have been more supportive and helpful especially during the early stages they guided my wife in what needed to be done medically & financially.

Cons

They were demanding in being professional, but very fair in helping me achieve what they were wanting.

I would recommend this company to anyone who is willing to pull their share and willing give honest work

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Er Physician
    Current Employee - Er Physician

I have been working at VEP Healthcare as a contractor

Pros

This company is supportive, accessible, innovative, growing. The staff that supports us physicians is great! The CEO and other upper level management are very accessible and supportive.

Cons

No significant challenges other than competition from other ER groups

Great opportunity for students.

Current Employee - ER Scribing in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - ER Scribing in Turlock, CA

I have been working at VEP Healthcare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very flexible schedules for those that are pre-nursing or pre-med.
    - okay pay for an entry level position, better than fast food restaurants.
    - Great learning opportunities with those trying to get into the medical field.
    - You can get over time in most shifts depending on what you are waiting for in regards to patient tests.
    - Get to meet great medical staff and earn some skills.

Cons

- You may get stuck past your shift pending diagnostic tests.
    - No health benefits or Full time opportunities.

Management is great. Keep on doing what you are doing.