VF Imagewear

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Scott Baxter

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsWork life balance is great

ConsNot a great bonus structure.

A sinking ship that everyone is eager to be the captain of.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsDecent work-life balance and laid back setting. Plenty of talent to bounce ideas off of. Decent health benefits and 401k options.

ConsThe management hierarchy is out of whack. A team of four can have as many as 3 "leaders". There is plenty of office politics and not enough innovative thinking. Good, talented people are let go so that management can bring in close friends. It's very a "not what you know, but who you know" mentality. An employee must be a "yes man" to maintain a job. If an employee speaks up they are immediately labeled "negative, counter productive, etc" and put on a black list. There is a strong "clique" mentality, teamwork has been completely lost as many employees have an elitist mentality.

This company runs on pure negative reinforcement. There are close to no incentives, your only reward is that you get to keep your job. Moral is exceptionally low, as employees have lost faith in upper and middle management. Employees are placed in leadership positions that are unfit to lead because the company refuses to look outside for talent, or a manager hires a friend instead.

Pay is very low. Many employees have been with the company for 20 plus years, have been placed in leadership roles, and have just now hit 50k a year in salary. Because of the low pay, many employees in important roles are leaving creating an unstable work environment. As key people leave, instead of bumping up pay, or looking for new talent with experience, management hires close friends instead and places them in leadership roles, or shuffles people around to take on double the work load.

The offices are dirty and pest ridden with carpets that haven't been cleaned/changed in ages. Air vents are hardly ever changed, as are water filters for drinking water. There are walls full of mold and open holes that have never been fixed in years.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider outside talent for new leadership roles. Stop hiring people based on friendship. Bump up pay for current talent, or see them leave. Cultivate a culture of positive energy over constant negative reinforcement.

Found the supervisors discriminative.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverview, FL

ProsI would say no pros at all

ConsIf your not from the same cultural background as the supervisor you get the boot.
    Doesn't matter if you work hard and want to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultural favoritism should be reprimanded. Not a way to run a business when we are in the great USA.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job

Screen Printer (Current Employee) Pewaukee, WI

ProsGreat leadership and co workers.

ConsEnvironment. It gets very hot in a factory!

Computer Systems Ancient, changing schedules & buddy-buddy system with no room for new people

Quality (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is not hard and the people I worked with were generally good & helpful. Pay wasn't too bad for a contract hire.

ConsLay-offs all the time! Hours were cut, days of the week cut, they abuse the contract hiring system. They hire temp workers, telling them they will be there for such and such a period & then two weeks later you're laid off with just minutes notice. Almost impossible to go full-time. I applied for a job for which I was very qualified but never even got an interview. Their computer systems are a joke. Not kidding. Appear to almost be DOS operated. Place was dirty and poorly maintained. Buddy-buddy system in place where newcomers or those wanting to move up are shut out.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture before you go under. Get rid of buddy-buddy system, upgrade computer systems, become more inviting to newcomers & those who could benefit your company. Stop being afraid of anyone new stealing your job. Closed mindset & culture seems stuck in the 1980's.

Good for the entry level candidates

Cost Analyst (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsA relaxed job environment with some free time

ConsLack of communicaton between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more people with analytical thinking

VF lacks knowledge of basic building blocks

Quality Control Auditor/Special Sewing (Former Employee) Whites Creek, TN

ProsThere are alot of nice people working at VF Imagewear. The hours and benefits are good.

ConsLack of professionalism in some managers, due to lack of skills and understanding. Insecurity issues in some managers causing maltreatment of their employees. Managers keeping employees that know less than they do, letting others go that know more. Cause and Effect: VF loosing major contributions these skilled employees could contribute. VF loosing financially due to this stunted growth. Too much buddy-buddy system, poor preformance employees are kept, taking advantage of their managers!

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow Up! Life is a constant learning experience! Go back to the basics and re-build.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I would describe my experience as positive.

Intern (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsI can learn about the industry while still being able to attend school and be close to home. It is a great way to break into the business.

ConsThe market that we cater to in creatively limiting and can feel repetitive. It is also difficult to move up quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to expand and listen to your staff's ideas as they come up. Look to the future and be innovative.

Good place to work but, lack direction from top management in the market because they are not driven by marketing.

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsIndependant atmosphere, good pay and benefits.

Conslack of direction from top management, mixed signals to the field

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct lines should be driven by market place not just by Finance.

Interesting

Accounts Receivable Management (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat company to work for in Nashville.

ConsFairness among various departments was not something that was often done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the management in the credit department and why employees often are pushed out or leaving.

Worked for VF Imagewear? Contribute to the Community!