VF Imagewear Reviews

Scott Baxter

1. Senior Graphic Artist

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Artist in Lutz, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Artist in Lutz, FL

I worked at VF Imagewear (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, great benefits and its exciting to work with major sports leagues. There is also many great people there.

Cons

Everything is all about numbers now. There is micromanaging. Much great veteran artist talent has been terminated claiming that their performance is lacking only to replace them with an entry level person that knows very little.

Advice to Management

No advise

2. National Sales

Current Employee - National Sales in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - National Sales in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great culture, great friends, great benefits, work hard and long hours but flexible schedule

Cons

Honestly, none to speak of

Advice to Management

Create succession plan for young professionals

Not a great place - Linebaugh Avenue, Tampa, FL

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tampa, FL

I worked at VF Imagewear full-time

Pros

Benefits - vacation, time off, holidays, med/dental, etc. beginning at time of hire or within 30 days

Cons

Lots of turnover due to not paying people what they are worth regardless of what the job's salary range is. Never hires employees with experience - always a college grad with no experience and then you get stuck training newbies to do the job you've been doing for years. Too many computer systems/software to do the job and the computer support is outsourced which is frustrating. Too many meetings which takes people away from doing their jobs. People just waiting to retire so they don't bring anything to their jobs but their cars. Or my favorite, people who have nothing to do and get away with it.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter - falls on deaf ears. Or they just don't have the time to deal with it. Or they pretend nothing is wrong. My manager didn't know what my job entailed and didn't know how to do their job and faked it really well.

5. Territory sales manager

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

Pros

great team environment, awesome culture

Cons

somenadmin functions that are cumbersome

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we are doing

6. Sr. Account Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at VF Imagewear full-time

Pros

Full disclosure: I worked for the company for seventeen years. I was released with a nice severance package in March of 2008. I worked in the contacts division of Imagewear in Nashville. The work was intense and we spent a lot of time reacting to customer's concerns rather than protectively working to make the business better. Fortunately our group manager was there to do that. The job was difficult but rewarding. VF was a good company to work for with solid business principles. Were they perfect? Of course not - They let me go. But is it a good place to work? Yes, I always thought so. Good people and strong company. Even my separation, while not my decision, was handled professionally, and with courtesy. I was treated well.

Cons

There was a tendency during my tenure to seek talent from the outside rather than promote from within. This is a common occurrence among larger companies though and it didn't hold me back from my career path.

Advice to Management

Don't just pay lip service to the idea that your associates are your most valuable assets.

7. Licensed sports apparel

Pros

Good opportunity for entry level

Cons

Complex business Low profit challenges

Advice to Management

Management could be more engaged with associates

8. Production Artist

Former Employee - Production Artist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Tampa, FL

I worked at VF Imagewear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for , very professional , decent benefits and good people to work with and plenty of opportunity to grow

Cons

very fast learning curve , rate of pay in florida is low

9. Very good working environment

Current Employee - Creative Artist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Artist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at VF Imagewear full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the people are wonderful.

Cons

Pay is not the best.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth.

A sinking ship that everyone is eager to be the captain of.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at VF Imagewear full-time

Pros

Decent work-life balance and laid back setting. Plenty of talent to bounce ideas off of. Decent health benefits and 401k options.

Cons

The management hierarchy is out of whack. A team of four can have as many as 3 "leaders". There is plenty of office politics and not enough innovative thinking. Good, talented people are let go so that management can bring in close friends. It's very a "not what you know, but who you know" mentality. An employee must be a "yes man" to maintain a job. If an employee speaks up they are immediately labeled "negative, counter productive, etc" and put on a black list. There is a strong "clique" mentality, teamwork has been completely lost as many employees have an elitist mentality. This company runs on pure negative reinforcement. There are close to no incentives, your only reward is that you get to keep your job. Moral is exceptionally low, as employees have lost faith in upper and middle management. Employees are placed in leadership positions that are unfit to lead because the company refuses to look outside for talent, or a manager hires a friend instead. Pay is very low. Many employees have been with the company for 20 plus years, have been placed in leadership roles, and have just now hit 50k a year in salary. Because of the low pay, many employees in important roles are leaving creating an unstable work environment. As key people leave, instead of bumping up pay, or looking for new talent with experience, management hires close friends instead and places them in leadership roles, or shuffles people around to take on double the work load. The offices are dirty and pest ridden with carpets that haven't been cleaned/changed in ages. Air vents are hardly ever changed, as are water filters for drinking water. There are walls full of mold and open holes that have never been fixed in years.

Advice to Management

Consider outside talent for new leadership roles. Stop hiring people based on friendship. Bump up pay for current talent, or see them leave. Cultivate a culture of positive energy over constant negative reinforcement.

Found the supervisors discriminative.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

I have been working at VF Imagewear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say no pros at all

Cons

If your not from the same cultural background as the supervisor you get the boot. Doesn't matter if you work hard and want to learn.

Advice to Management

Cultural favoritism should be reprimanded. Not a way to run a business when we are in the great USA.

RSS Feed </> Embed