VFW Reviews

3.4
VFW Commander-in-Chief John E. Hamilton
John E. Hamilton

1. My first civilian job

Pros

Quiet work space; laid back environment

Cons

Not really open to change

2. Clerical Assistant

Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at VFW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice to work for an organization that serves our veterans

Cons

A lot of paper work has to be completed

Advice to Management

Open on Saturdays just to complete some of the paper work.

3. Legislative Associate

I worked at VFW full-time

Pros

The LD is a great guy, and I loved working for him. The legislative staff is a very close community, and everyone helps on all projects.

Cons

The ED is a nightmare, and if he does not like you, you will hate working for the VFW

Advice to Management

The ED has to go! He has made a lot of enemy's, and his only hurting the VFW

Because we've always done it that way

Pros

- The work is rewarding (No one does more for veterans) - Good work/life balance - Nice office space

Cons

- Old leadership that is resistant to change and creativity - Poor communication - Low pay for most employees

Advice to Management

We can do better. Almost everything in the organization has gone stale. Jump into the new millennium. Hire consultants and listen to them. We need organizational development consultants, marketing consultants, and fundraising consultants. Plant the right seeds and that organization will once again flourish.

Service Officer

I have been working at VFW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being able to provide service to our veterans. Benefits, referrals, social services, elderly WWII veterans & surviving spouses assistance for living, Vietnam veterans who have never used the VA, and assistance with new veterans transitioning from deployment..

Cons

The VFW is old school. A "Good Old Boy" mentality. They need to allow their service officers the ability to reach out and provide services other than just applying for a monetary compensation claim. There is so much more we can do. The pay is ridiculous for the amount of hours we work. This is a job that you just don't leave at the office. If it hasn't been done, contact not made, you take it home with you. You have NO choice. Because you care.

Advice to Management

Restructure the services provided to our veterans. Depending upon their service time, their needs are always different. Allow staff to train more on types of social services to provide to the veterans. Provide staff/assistance when you see an officer is unable to keep up with the workload. There is no reason we should fail our veterans because of staffing and poor management.

I absolutely love working here!

Current Employee - Bartender in Bossier City, LA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Bossier City, LA

I have been working at VFW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful The hours are super flexible Develop close relationships with coworkers and customers Like working around family

Cons

The pay is not even close to enough to live on Poor management is making the establishment lose money Uninterested supervisors are letting the place go under

Advice to Management

Retire and let those that are qualified and passionate a chance to turn the organization around.

8. Friendly Environment

Current Employee - G S
    Current Employee - G S

I have been working at VFW full-time

Pros

Very friendly environment, hard working people. Good Benefits, sick leave and vacation leave after 6 months. Willing to supply all the tools workers need for a good job.

Cons

Not very open to changes.

Great organization, no benefits

Current Employee - State Service Officer
    Current Employee - State Service Officer

I have been working at VFW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for veterans to work and help other veterans. Staff have genuine concern for veterans well-being and work extremely hard to take care of our vets.

Cons

Upper management has no idea what they are doing on the state level, but still care a lot about veterans. High turn-around as Group health insurance is way too expensive for even a single person. Don't even think about getting the group insurance if you have family.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the benefits and figure out why we can't keep decent employees.

No opportunity to excel

Former Employee - Bartender Karaoke KJ in Daleville, AL
    Former Employee - Bartender Karaoke KJ in Daleville, AL

I worked at VFW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at the VFW, was the opportunity to serve the men and women who fought for our country.

Cons

My Post (6020, Daleville, AL) stopped paying their employees and went to strictly "Volunteer" only, and then business went south.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, and have the back of your employees no matter what. Nothing good comes from gossip!

11. Comradeship

Current Employee - Adjutant - Lifetime Member in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Adjutant - Lifetime Member in Manchester, NH

I have been working at VFW part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great organization in order to continue the communication feed as you once had in the military - still have to filter it out though - as before

Cons

Very political in the States, seems like the same 20% of the men/women perform the Post duties...

RSS Feed </> Embed