VH1

Updated May 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Calderone

Surrounded by fund and talented professionals

Video Production (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAs an intern, I was able to find a group of professionals within my department who wanted to push me and challenge my abilities. It's refreshing to encounter people who actually care about your professional growth. Not many companies do this.

ConsPerhaps more interaction within the other departments could have been useful.

Nice place to see how cable television works.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsContent was good, nice programming.

ConsSometimes toxic and mostly unorganized.

Great people, average workplace

Music Talent Intern (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsLoved working with the team, music talent is great! Loved having chances to see new artists.

ConsDepts. don't seem to collaborate much, everything is hush hush to keep others from stealing ideas.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Couldn't have asked for a better intern experience there.

Production and Development Intern (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsRespectful and thankful for the work and help you contribute.

ConsNot much experience with the executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be really great if a meeting was available with one of the executives during the time of the internship.

Experience Working as a Finance Intern

Finance Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe company offers great opportunities to learn about the procedures and different aspects related to the financing side of production that provide the knowledge and skills a student would need to develop in order to be competitive once entering the workforce.
    Supervisors are always open to give their interns the possibility to take initiative in the work they are given, as well as autonomy and flexibility when it comes to the time frame in which their projects are due.
    The atmosphere in the office is relaxed and friendly, and everyone will encourage the intern to talk to people in other departments to either offer their help when they are not too busy, or to simply learn more about other aspects of the business.
    All in all, a great place to develop one's skills and knowledge, as well as to build connections.

ConsAs the company is fairly large, it is more departmentalized and some tasks may be more repetitive than in other smaller companies where one may have more exposure to different aspects of the business. However, if the intern shows interest in learning new things, they have the possibility to talk to their manager and to be assigned additional or new tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps keep the intern more busy and give them a chance to touch on more aspects of the business with more diversified tasks.

Writing for a Music Video Countdown Host

Creative Consultant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGot the freedom to create my own material without much outside interference.

ConsFluctuation in terms of assigned duties for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo make the writers feel more linked with the talent they write for.

Good place to work when I was there. Things have changed. Freelancer stay away from 1099.

Promo Writer/Producer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSmart people. Good work/life balance. I worked in On-Air Creative and Integrated Marketing as a writer/producer making starting at $400 a day and then $500 a day as a rate.

I worked with very talented editors. However, by now (2012) they may have switched to a Preditor model and I suspect they are not getting paid more despite taking on more work

ConsNot much. People are pretty cool. But then again I never went into the office as a freelancer and worked from home. I did notice that the office people while friendly and very professional could be "clique-ish" and you have to navigate that at times.

Just as I left in 2008 they switched from a day rate model to "hourly" with no overtime which caused a lot of screams from everyone. They backed down on the overtime. However, they did a bad move in that if you worked (freelance) for say one network for a year then moved over to any other Viacom network you lose that time that counted towards getting benefits. I believe after a year you must receive benefits. A real screw you since most of the staff (%60) at the time was freelance or perma-lance.

People do complain that the culture has gotten more cookie cutter corporate after 2008 and they care less about employees and more about making money and "efficiency." I know a lot of people higher up have left.

Also, I worked freelance but was on the bi-weekly payroll not 1099 because Viacom is infamous for not paying freelance vendors. It is not uncommon for editors and other small vendors to have over tens of thousands in billings not be paid for six to ten months. The W/P's I knew got on the bi-weekly payroll because of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is only as good as your talent so give them what they want and need to be happy.

Stop keeping money owned to small vendors to get interest on it and pay in a timely manner.

Integrative and inclusive experience working at VH1

On-Air Promos Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI was fortunate enough to have great producers to work under who showed me the ins and outs of promo writing and production. Having said that, most of these producers have left.
    - Great atmosphere
    - Very loose with what you can do with your time

Cons- No stipend for transportation
    - Certain days can be filled with just running tapes or doing random errands
    - The experience highly depends on how open your supervisor is

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease encourage the supervisors to bring a cohesive program for the interns. Some staff employees treated us like dirt while others highly respected us.

Pretty great place to work.

Santa Monica, CA

ProsThere is a fast paced turnaround on each project. We are given a lot of creative leeway and are able to experiment with new ideas.

ConsThe flack I'm given externally for working at a channel where the programming is primarily reality tv based.
    The number of decision internal and external makers on each stage of a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike any channel, there are a lot of politics. The difference is, the people here are less like actual politicians than other channels or networks.

Great name, OK pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe building is nice. Most floors have coffee or soda fountain machines. There's a large cafeteria within the building so you don't have to leave for lunch if you don't want to. Very casual and creative work environment. Everyone is very laid back.

ConsThe compensation for most positions are low. People mostly work here for the name. Interns are used for free labor

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management would be to invest in your employees and recognize the ones that actually stand out.

Worked for VH1? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VH1 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VH1 CEO Tom Calderone. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by VH1 employees.