VHA Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014

VHA President, CEO, and Director Curt Nonomaque
Curt Nonomaque

Pros
  • Work/life balance is highly respected (in 3 reviews)

• The people I worked with were a good group and also good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company changes directions often but that is to be expected in dealing with healthcare (in 4 reviews)

• Senior leadership has been given honest input and feedback, but is hesitant to act upon it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Industry leader in GPOs, but IT is not running efficiently

I worked at VHA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Industry leader with decent benefits and other intangibles. People in the business end of the company are competent and intelligent. Most folks have been there for years so there is a lot of experience in this market.

Cons

Organization alignment is not the most efficient to affect change especially when it comes to IT. Also some of IT management has there so long that they all run things that have always worked which has typically meant a waterfall methodology approach. Several attempts have been made to introduce a more Agile approach, but often the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage is applied. This applies throughout the organization when it comes to the IT department. Change is necessary is they want to remain competitive.

Senior Leadership Runs VHA Into the Ground

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at VHA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Despite its numerous mistakes, VHA is still the industry leader in the health care group purchasing business. The company has an enormous set of talented, experienced employees (mostly in the regional offices) who really want to help their clients (mostly hospitals) improved their performance, whether that be financial or clinical.

Cons

It starts at the top. The CEO is the former CFO with no historical background in health care. He is better suited to be an investment banker than lead a health care company. He is personally eccentric (to say the least) and lacks a strategic vision for the company that makes any sense. As a result, there are constant corporate reorganization, significant changes in strategic direction and product offerings and, as a result, significant layoffs of long-time, experienced staff occur about every two years. The dark joke at VHA is to not answer a call from your supervisor after December 1 in the odd-numbered years--it's likely to be your layoff notice.

VHA used to have great benefits, but has stripped most of that away over the years. Their expense reporting system is awful for the end user (great at issuing reports for finance) and is often used by managers to harass and torment disliked employees. They froze the pension plan 10 years ago. During the recession they froze salaries for several years and then allowed managers enormous discretion about where to give a raise even if the employee scored in the top 10% of performance reviews. I went five years without a single raise despite review in the top tier every year and there was no catch-up payments once VHA was doing great financially.

It's very curious to look at a health care organization like VHA and realize virtually no physicians work for it and none in a leadership role. The same can be said, to a lesser extent, for nurses. It didn't used to be that way. What does that tell you about the culture and values of an organization that is supposed to improving the clinical performance of American health care?

And that's the crux of it--a failure of leadership at all levels of management in the company. The front-line employees are great and the heart of the company, in addition to being the face of the company with their hospital clients 98% of the time. But management takes them for granted, abuses them and throws them out on the street every time the CEO and his executive team get an itch to go in a different direction. The worst offenders are about 50% of the managers of the regional offices and nearly all of the executive team that reports to the CEO. As other writers have noted, they are all very well-paid and secure and intend to keep that way. Since VHA is organized as co-operative and the board is largely made up of owners/clients, there is not the kind of scrutiny and accountability I see at well-governed not-for-profit and for-profit companies. It's a good ol' boy organization in the board room and among the executive team. VHA's clients, with their not-for-profit, community-focused missions, deserve better.

Clean house. Get a new CEO who has a clear vision and is willing to implement it in the long term. Get rid of the long-term members of the executive team who simply want to protect their turf and their comp. Also, get rid of the newer members of the executive team who are downright vicious and are willing to do anything to advance their careers. That includes my former manager.

Sacred cows gorge and attack

Current Employee - Director  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Irving, TX

I have been working at VHA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New headquarters are fresh and trendy. Free soda and popcorn. I really enjoyed working with my team for good causes. Employees are allowed to have side business to add to income.

Cons

With each reorganization more talent bolts. The established employees run the talent out to protect a rich set up. In the span of three years fell off every best places to work list. The new competency model backfired.

Read exit interviews. It is tragic that a jurassic layer of management drains the organization of motivated human capital.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

I worked at VHA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company and industry leader.

Cons

Leadership training is needed at all levels.

Decent company with growing revenue.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at VHA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, mission and dedication to member needs.

Cons

Benefits - very basic, very average. Conservative culture in terms of career growth (in other words, stubborn belief of years served as gauge for advancement vs level of product and quality of work produced).

Pay attention to your high performers and reward them accordingly.

VHA lets me run my own business!

I have been working at VHA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Forward company as far as telecom, given the amount of people that work from home or directly from customer sites. The company continues to implement ways for me to be more effective.

Cons

Benefits have been decreasing - my spouse's company has a better package.

Added chaos of the american healthcare system - it is so sad

I have been working at VHA full-time

Pros

Good salaries and reputation in contract pricing. Fabulous co-workers.
    A large portion of co-workers do care about long term viability of health care.
    Incredible talent that you can learn from!!!!
    Great place to work if you "like to the play the corporate game and focus is on title"

Cons

Speaks big game and misleads internal/external stakeholders.

Employees feel intimidated by leadership. HIGH LEVELS OF DISRESPECT THROUGHOUT

Not a place for ambitious or those that get the big picture. Lacks focus on content and output of work -- it is all about positioning of work.

Even with recent changes, I am afraid this systematic leadership mess is beyond repair. 1. They don't understand how bad the culture is (not talking about charts and graphs - they have lots of them) 2. Do not want to change the culture and accept to listen to excuses

Crush and end all "good-old-boy" networks from within. Punish un-ethical behavior. Encourage 360 review of leadership and peer-to-peer reviews.

Relocate company away from Texas. Texas is a great place to work but something dramatic needs to change the culture.

Advice to the BOD - Invest health care dollars into the future of health care and not just another me to. Conceptually this organization can do GREAT things for you, but you need to take over control of it.

No loyalty to employees that perform well and no viable business strategy.

I worked at VHA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people working at VHA are friendly and respectful for the most part. Compensation, benefits, and overall policies are good, when followed.

Cons

The strategic direction of the company changes and the products fail in the market. VHA has not been able to provide a viable Clinical offering despite investing millions of dollars. Executive leaders create their realms that compete with other business groups instead of engagning and working together. The company is not loyal to employees, layoff happen frequently and with no prior notice.

Adher to the company policies in the sprit they are intended. Get rid of Executive managment level.

Worked as a contractor for about 2 years

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at VHA as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were a good group and also good people. From what I understand, the benefits are good. The retirement plan (pension plan) is closed to new full-time employees.

Cons

I was stunned at the number of analysts throughout the organization. Also, the number of people with the title of "manager" or "director".

I was also surprised by the number of people who seem to have low technical skills. Nevertheless, I think it's a good company to work for, despite their layoffs of permanent employees. I think about 40 or so were let go in December, 2013.

Cushy environment, not the environment for ambitious kind.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Irving, TX

I worked at VHA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great comp and benefits especially once you get to director and above level. Very stress free environment since they do not have real financial pressures to perform due to their ownership structure. Good training opportunities.

Cons

If you are ambitious and want to work in a fast paced environment, this is not for you. They have no commercial orientation for selling services and products. Senior management has been around forever and does not know how to drive change. Their current business model is not sustainable and the transformation they want to implement will never happen under the current management team that has never done a real transformation. Upper management (VP and above) never leave, because they will never get the comp and benefits they have here and so they do everything to protect the little kingdom they have created for themselves.

Real leaders know when to step aside and let others lead. It is time for the current management team to step aside and bring in real leadership. I doubt this will ever happen because the gravy train is too rich.

Worked for VHA? Contribute to the Community!