VHA

Be The First To
Add Photos

VHA President, CEO, and Director Curt Nonomaque

Curt Nonomaque

Pros
  • Work/life balance is highly respected(in 3 reviews)

• The people I worked with were a good group and also good people(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company changes directions often but that is to be expected in dealing with healthcare(in 4 reviews)

• Senior leadership has been given honest input and feedback, but is hesitant to act upon it(in 3 reviews)

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGreat company and industry leader.

ConsLeadership training is needed at all levels.

Decent company with growing revenue.

Manager (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsCulture, mission and dedication to member needs.

ConsBenefits - very basic, very average. Conservative culture in terms of career growth (in other words, stubborn belief of years served as gauge for advancement vs level of product and quality of work produced).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your high performers and reward them accordingly.

VHA lets me run my own business!

ProsForward company as far as telecom, given the amount of people that work from home or directly from customer sites. The company continues to implement ways for me to be more effective.

ConsBenefits have been decreasing - my spouse's company has a better package.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Added chaos of the american healthcare system - it is so sad

ProsGood salaries and reputation in contract pricing. Fabulous co-workers.
    A large portion of co-workers do care about long term viability of health care.
    Incredible talent that you can learn from!!!!
    Great place to work if you "like to the play the corporate game and focus is on title"

ConsSpeaks big game and misleads internal/external stakeholders.

Employees feel intimidated by leadership. HIGH LEVELS OF DISRESPECT THROUGHOUT

Not a place for ambitious or those that get the big picture. Lacks focus on content and output of work -- it is all about positioning of work.

Even with recent changes, I am afraid this systematic leadership mess is beyond repair. 1. They don't understand how bad the culture is (not talking about charts and graphs - they have lots of them) 2. Do not want to change the culture and accept to listen to excuses

Advice to Senior ManagementCrush and end all "good-old-boy" networks from within. Punish un-ethical behavior. Encourage 360 review of leadership and peer-to-peer reviews.

Relocate company away from Texas. Texas is a great place to work but something dramatic needs to change the culture.

Advice to the BOD - Invest health care dollars into the future of health care and not just another me to. Conceptually this organization can do GREAT things for you, but you need to take over control of it.

No loyalty to employees that perform well and no viable business strategy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThe people working at VHA are friendly and respectful for the most part. Compensation, benefits, and overall policies are good, when followed.

ConsThe strategic direction of the company changes and the products fail in the market. VHA has not been able to provide a viable Clinical offering despite investing millions of dollars. Executive leaders create their realms that compete with other business groups instead of engagning and working together. The company is not loyal to employees, layoff happen frequently and with no prior notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdher to the company policies in the sprit they are intended. Get rid of Executive managment level.

Worked as a contractor for about 2 years

Analyst (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThe people I worked with were a good group and also good people. From what I understand, the benefits are good. The retirement plan (pension plan) is closed to new full-time employees.

ConsI was stunned at the number of analysts throughout the organization. Also, the number of people with the title of "manager" or "director".

I was also surprised by the number of people who seem to have low technical skills. Nevertheless, I think it's a good company to work for, despite their layoffs of permanent employees. I think about 40 or so were let go in December, 2013.

Cushy environment, not the environment for ambitious kind.

Vice President (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGreat comp and benefits especially once you get to director and above level. Very stress free environment since they do not have real financial pressures to perform due to their ownership structure. Good training opportunities.

ConsIf you are ambitious and want to work in a fast paced environment, this is not for you. They have no commercial orientation for selling services and products. Senior management has been around forever and does not know how to drive change. Their current business model is not sustainable and the transformation they want to implement will never happen under the current management team that has never done a real transformation. Upper management (VP and above) never leave, because they will never get the comp and benefits they have here and so they do everything to protect the little kingdom they have created for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal leaders know when to step aside and let others lead. It is time for the current management team to step aside and bring in real leadership. I doubt this will ever happen because the gravy train is too rich.

Relatively very good, but has its issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot micro managed, innovative, some great talent. Mostly great values..that most staff follow. Most everyone is very nice. Interesting work.

ConsBad retirement program, ....constant battle ..centralization vs decentralized. Reorganizes constantly vs dealing with performance/execution issues or past re-org failures.(was it worth it). CEO is reorganization-addicted. Not a good thing in most cases.

Top executive leadership in corporate office is control and turf oriented a lot of the time. Violate the values....those people truly don't know or appreciate the brightest team members include those NOT based in Texas. A couple of the top team are excellent...a couple are viewed by staff as " why are they in those jobs"..they got promoted without really succeeding in prior level in terms of programs....

Loud people tend to get credit for being loud..vs being respected...insightful...or viewed as leaders.

Clinical performance improvement programs have often flopped....still don't have the right leader in that area.

Good company, cares about it's people

ProsThe company changes direction frequently, so you never get bored doing the same thing all the time. The culture is good, people are respected and listened to via the employee surveys. The company is active in the community and sponsors an annual community day where employees are encouraged to volunteer time for a charity. The work is satisfying because the objective is to help community hospitals be more effective and safe. The culture is one of consensus, everyone has a say in decisions. Benefits and compensation are overall good.

ConsThe company changes direction annually since the board is made up of Shareholder Hospitals and the healthcare industry is undergoing significant change. Due to the annual change, it is not uncommon to have lay-offs to realign skillsets for the upcoming year. The company listens to employees, but changes are very slow to be implemented, if at all. The company's culture is one of consensus, so it can take time to get initiatives started and keep momentum. Very frustrating for a person that wants quick results. Medical benefits have been on the decline over the last few years. Not a lot of growth opportunities given the size of the company. Being promoted above Manager level increases the chance of being included in a RIF.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to strive for a strategic direction that does not change annually. Evaluate the return on investments before moving forward. Take action on employee feedback. Focus on a succession plan that includes all levels of the company, try to provide growth paths without putting people at high risk of lay-off.

WORST professional experience of my life.

Staff Analyst (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGood pay, i would guess other departments treat their employees better than mine.

ConsI had an awful middle manager. She wrote me up for a conflict with another party who has a terrible reputation. When I questioned her write up, she became offended at me for questioning her integrity. Years later I still have an awful taste in my mouth. This was by far the worst professional experience I have had in my seventeen years of working in the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe involved more with lower level employees.

Worked for VHA? Contribute to the Community!