VITAS Healthcare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Tim O'Toole

Pros
  • Sacramento Vitas is really good at keeping to their first value 'Patients and Families Come First' (in 18 reviews)

• If you want to make a difference for patients at end of life, this is the place to do it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel like it is "us against them" meaning field staff against office management (in 7 reviews)

• Patients and families no longer come first (in 4 reviews)

Very intense atmosphere

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare part-time

Pros

As a nurse in the IPU, you will see a lot. There will be deaths regularly,it is hospice....

Cons

Adequate training is not provided to the new nurses or new to hospice nurses. The staff nurses do a lot of back stabbing, a lot of assuming that new nurse will know and catch on super fast and they are not patient enough to provide adequate training and answer questions and if they do, it is with much attitude.

Advice to Management

Provide more training and over shadowing, more in service, and train seasoned nurses to be more patient with new nurses and answer questions appropriately and in a professional manner. Training us to work more a as team instead of against each other.

Volunteer Services Manager

Former Employee - Volunteer Services Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Volunteer Services Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Worked with a growing and reliable company that proveded the top clinical servive to terminally ill patients and their families. This comany is creative and allowed me to think outside of the box and show my talents.

Cons

Wage increases were few and far between and no matter the score on a review we received one percent increases. Communication via email did not always reach the needed staff. Communication frequently did not occur and soft skills regarding peoples' personal development of personal life were at times, neglected.

Advice to Management

Communication is key to all personnel. Too many times not all staff were aware of procedures or meetings, etcterea. Follow through on communication is needed to ensure the success of eveyone.

3. Good company

Former Employee - Community Liaison/Sales Representative in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I worked at VITAS Healthcare (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vitas has a good reputation and lots of great people to work with.

Cons

Short staffing can cause problems

Meaningful work but unstable environment and tumultuous periods of change and needless punishment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Significant opportunities to touch people's lives when they need guidance the most and to do so with bright and committed colleagues in a team-centered manner.

Cons

Low pay. Never-ending salary freezes. Periodic unfair expectations. Much pressure and stress from superiors.

Advice to Management

Give pay increases and create an environment of partnership rather than needless and counter productive oppositional conflict.

6. Team Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thomaston, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thomaston, CT

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great peer to peer support, lots of room for growth & development.

Cons

high turnover in all positions even upper management.

Advice to Management

be more competitive in salary to keep good employees from leaving.

Office

I worked at VITAS Healthcare (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff was great to work with

Cons

Being a corporate company raises were frozen and I had no room for advancement so I moved on.

8. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Imperial, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Imperial, MO

I worked at VITAS Healthcare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, good life work balance.

Cons

Could be better advanced in technology

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

What a lack of communication!

Current Employee - Admissions RN in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions RN in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, feel good about helping patients and family's with end of life care.

Cons

Corporate, even local office, does not care about the employee. It is about money. Charity rarely given unless patient is imminently dying. ARN always about the finances instead of focusing on the patient and family. Poor communication in local office. People retire or promoted never gets mentioned. Team physician changes and no one is notified. Teams so short staffed because the demand to see 6 to 7 patients in an 8 hour day. They never consider that you have to eat. Unethical practices regarding forcing employees to document that they had a lunch break even though a break was never taken because 6 to 7 patients in an 8 hour day equals no lunch. Minimal education for the staff. Raises were frozen for years. Had a reduction in force several years go and positions were never refilled.

Advice to Management

Focus and listen to the staff and be interested in it. Stop Pushing the staff to see more patients to increase revunue. Negative reviews

10. Horrible

Current Employee - Nurse in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Nurse in Torrance, CA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was taught if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all... I'll save it for the "cons"

Cons

Lies all lies. Every year they promise raises,that's been 4 years ago. They do not care about the safety of their field nurses,it's all about census and money.Sends good nurses into danger then promises that a pt who has cause bodily harm to other nurses will be taken off service ,in the same breath will put them right back on.Hiring mgr hires bodies not experience which causes a lot of angry pt families .Gm tends to walk around like everything is ok but fails to realize that you are the voice of us to corporate if your afraid to bargain on our behalf get the ¥%$&! Out the way and make room for one that will!

Advice to Management

READ GLASSDOOR and see what is going on .looking at how people feel about your company.Stop hiring nurses at a higher pay rate than the nurses who are well trained and have been loyal to your company for years, it's a slap in the face!!!Meetings should be a place of detox sometimes not a dictatorship . We need to purge also but have no outlet to do so cause it cost the company more money. But what about us??!!!??!!?

Admission RN

Current Employee - Admissions RN in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Admissions RN in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful environment, amazing team efforts, wonderful people that I both work with and for, a very joy filled group of men and woman. After 25+ years in healthcare I have found my "forever home" at Vitas. Lots of autonomy and room to grow both personally and professionally.

Cons

Pay could be better but I feel so good to work for an organization that supports its staff, thanks them for their efforts, and respect everyones differences.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It's tough for all of us and your job is difficult too. Push to integrate technology more quickly into the field to make processes more stream lined.

RSS Feed </> Embed