VITAS Healthcare Reviews

2.7

Tim O'Toole

Patients and families come first.

Current Employee - Admission RN  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Admission RN in Riverside, CA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management strives to keep company morale balanced by sharing info and keeping people in the loop .

Cons

Several layoffs of key people in the lasr few monhs,

Working for VITAS was a great experience, I miss the people and have fond memories of the patients we served

Former Employee - HME Manager  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - HME Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at VITAS Healthcare

Pros

Personal Time off was very nice. HR shows in many ways they are about their employees.

Cons

As a company gets bigger, it becomes harder to reach all team members to find out how things are not working and how things can improve.

Stick with the hospice business, it's what you know and what you do well. Current leaders in the HME division really don't get it.

dissappointing

Current Employee - Sales  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Orlando, FL

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare

Pros

What you do for patients and families

Cons

Lack of proper compensation to sales representatives

Be fair in compensating your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vitas has management that is verymuch out of touch. There is a "Click"! CEO making poor choices.VPs clueless.

Current Employee - Support Staff  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Support Staff in San Diego, CA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare

Pros

Allow time off.
    Flexibility in shedule most of the time.
    Some people here are wonderful.

Cons

NO chance for growth.
    NO chance for promotion
    NO chance for recognition
    NO chance to make a differrence
    NO chance that upper management will listen to field staff
    NO chance of surviving if the current management structure remains, from VPs to CEO.
    NO chance that this company will survive another decade the way it is opperating

Fire David and get a fortune 500 or 1000 company leader. When you ruin vendor relationships becuase you don't pay your bills, you have to wonder why? The president/CFO??? YES! Keep a close EYE on Tim O'Toole. DO NOT allow him to simply hire whomever he desires. SPECIFICALLY FAMILY and FRIENDS. Fire a majority of the VPs who seem so clueless on what is actually happening within their regions.

VITAS is a great company to work for, it has a great future ahead of it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at VITAS Healthcare

Pros

The hospice industry will have tremendous growth in the near future.
    Executive Management at VITAS are all very well educated in hospice and business.

Cons

Some of the non-core competencies of VITAS are poorly managed. The IT function is slow to innovate, and correct issues. The HR policies for staff are not enforced consistently. The Benefits are mediocre.

Communicate better with your staff, and do not play passive agressive political games.
    Be honest and forthright so that everyone involved knows the expectations and how they are or are not being met.

Management does not fully understand field work and time

Current Employee - Case Manager RN  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager RN in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare

Pros

experienced in symptom management expertise

Cons

too long hours. mgmt too demanding. Mgnt seems to forget travel time (Traffic, construction delays, unknow territories)

go out on the fields to see what staff has to experience

Vitas, labor of love: but dont expect any from Mgmt.

Former Employee - Nurse -Continuous Care  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Nurse -Continuous Care in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at VITAS Healthcare

Pros

If you are interested in taking care of patients in their final moments and assisting their families then it is a job you would greatly appreciate; just dont expect the Fort Worth, TX office to treat you fairly or with any degree of professionalism.

Cons

Sr. management of the Fort Worth TX office do not treat the employee's with respect or understanding when hardships of their own come up. FW office management has shown itself to be very cold and calculating; when case load drops employees are forced to use their PTO to get their full hours instead of using it as it was inteded for PERSONAL TIME OFF. Other Vitas office sites will bring staff into the office to help until case load increases but assuring that employee their FT hours without sacrificing their PTO.

Recognize your staff are your most important resource and they should be treated as such.

Such a disappointment

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare part-time

Pros

Pros – People seem nice/friendly. There seem to be staff genuinely/individually invested in betterment of patient and family care.

Cons

Cons – I was hired for part time position over 3 quarters ago. I'm still waiting for work, and have respectfully persistent in contacting my supervisor d'jour ( by phone and email ) to say "please can I work". I've asked again and again to coordinate with the team, to get referrals, to just be permitted to function as a team member and support hospice patients during such a critical time. I get put off and put off again. Sometimes they'll get back to me ( 2-3 weeks later ), and say "just a few more weeks". I was initially very excited to be associated with a company whose external reputation has been solid; the truth can be enlightening and in this case such a disappointment. It's time for me to move. on

Advice to Senior Management – Per another colleague, all that office staff does is sit in the office and field complaints/concern calls. The people who know patient need are out in the field. Can there be a way to meet in the middle on this? Connecting dots does help 'the big picture'. It would also be great ( and perhaps in line with state labor codes ), that if you go through the expense of screening a candidate, orienting the new employees, and hiring exceptional candidates to do the job, please let them do so. You can't keep saying "just a few more weeks" - our patients can't wait. Are you willing to build some loyalty/retention with your staff? Let part-time hires work; your customers need it.

Worked for VITAS Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!