VMC Consulting

Updated August 23, 2014
2.5

VMC Consulting COO Ron Hurle
Ron Hurle

Pros
  • There are some great people, I've established a great relationship with a specfic recruiter which has absolutely advanced my career (in 3 reviews)

• Pay, managers and work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management with zero regard for employee morale (in 5 reviews)

• If you're a full-time employee with VMC who manages the vendor contracts, as opposed to one of the actual contractors, it might be better (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly environment, professional training

Former Employee - Microsoft Xbox Escalations Support in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Microsoft Xbox Escalations Support in Irving, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Microsoft, Contract, Las Colinas TX: Friendly co-workers, beautiful campuses, free sodas, great food at decent price, break time entertainment (fooseball tables, shuffleboards, tv's). Managers worked with you to ensure you understood your job, adequate training.

Cons

Microsoft, Contract, Las Colinas TX: Mass lay-offs were abrupt and very sudden. No opportunities for raises or bonuses, few promotion opportunities, and procedures are still in early-development-like stages, even though the place has been around since before 2005.

Microsoft, Contract, Las Colinas TX: Provide advance notice for mass layoffs.

I wouldn't recommend a job here if I liked you!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They do a lot of work with some of the top clients and the folks on the line do a great job so within the client companies the reputation of the company tends to be they are expensive but good.

Cons

Internal systems and policies are terrible, hard to get anything done, The company culture is that of udder chaos a whole new management team has come in over the last year, and they are putting together the direction and focus without asking anyone who has been around doing the work. Fear based leadership had built a culture where no one wants to talk or ask questions for fear of being fired.

Look around you have some amazing talent working for you, but if you continue down the path those people won't stay around for long.

One of the worst most disorganized companies I've ever worked for

I worked at VMC Consulting

Pros

There are literally no good things you can say

Cons

Management has no idea what's going on and they constantly enact policies that have little relevance to employees. They emphasize policy and procedure and forget about the service they are providing. No one ever has any idea what's going on and most employees run around confused and frustrated

Worked in the Redmond area for more than 5 years

Current Employee - Chief Bottle Washer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Bottle Washer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance are provided as they win contracts and jobs lost when they lose them. It is the same for all of the vendor companies in this area. Great place to work to gain knowledge.

Cons

Office culture is cold, work-life balance has improved over the last year, I think there is promise here, but would wait until they figure out and openly communicate where they are going.

Project Coordinator

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nothing? they got me a job? but the only thing they gave me was a foot in the door

Cons

VMC will get you placed but they take more than any other contracting company and you'll wish you weren't associated with them. Trying to move up or on-ward is completely impossible here. Some recruiters are nice and will help as much as possible but the company as a whole can't do anything.

Paying double over-head to VMC and Volt really keeps us from getting even close to what we deserve.

Apple Tier 1 Support

Former Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Coworkers are friendly and managers are friendly

Cons

- You job only depends on customer surveys

Lack of upward mobility options, difficult managers

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Fargo, ND

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High starting wage for the area.
    There is some freedom that you are otherwise not accustomed to at a call center help desk type position such as not being treated like a 10 year old when going to the bathroom or showing up a few minutes late. Generally if you are on time and work you do not have your day monitor minute by minute.

Cons

The micro management is too much, you must account for the work you have done in multiple ways which in turn eats up more time that you could be working with the customer.

Management reviews in single instances, they will look at the current status of the team at that moment in time and expect a multiple paragraph explanation as to what the cause of the volume is or why work is not getting done. After explaining you may have to explain again later to another manager or update them with any new information and a game plan for moving forward.

There is no upward movement, as a vendor for Microsoft the best advice is to move up the 2-3 steps that exist in the ladder and then try to get hired on by a company that actually cares and has career paths.

Raises are talked up when hired as well as bonuses, these sometimes exist but there is a wage ceiling. There is no cost of living raise and if moving to a team that has a higher starting wage than your current one you must fight to be brought up to that pay level despite having more experience than a new hire. This is very common and I have personally experienced this.

PTO is only 80 hours a year and there is a limit to how many people on certain teams can have a day off at the same time. Schedules are done differently from one team to another, on my old team there was a multi week schedule, it is dangerous to make long term plans for trips that involve purchasing or reserving anything as you are never certain if you will get time off, personal experience.

There is no compensation for working overnights or weekends although this will be implied in some cases when interviewing or during your orientation, the old team I was on did 24/7 support, there was no incentive to work overnights or weekends.

Be honest with people.
    Do not smother subordinates with micro managing or redundant duties.
    Let your employees earn trust on an individual basis and then trust them unless they give you a reason not to.
    Accept feedback instead of receiving any management critical feedback as confrontational.
    Do not burden those beneath you with tasks that you could complete yourself.
    Do not make everything a top priority, this is asking the impossible and causes unneeded strain on people.

Product Testing (games and consumer devices)

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great in-house testing group in Montreal, Canada.

Cons

Compensation model is lacking true commission structure for sales people.

VMC Consulting - Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great portfolio of services and good base of customers.

Cons

Wholly owned subsidiary of Volt. Most view VMC as a staffing company instead of an IT Consulting co.

8 years no merit raise for excellent performance reviews.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer III in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer III in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Below national average paycheck for the position, and you are better off working for another company.

Cons

Position are capped below average and no means to advance. Communication from management is none existent, and support is done only at last minute. Forget training or at least any quality of training. Not mention their training is a scam to put more money in to the trainers pocket whom have not skills in training people. PhD is not but you have the skill to be trainer and they are severely lacking and incredulous. You are better off going to free website for training then giving them money.

Pay your employees, communicate, and follow though on your commitments. Provide training that is not a scam to line the pockets of trainer who has no business teaching people.