VMC Consulting Reviews

Reset
2.2
VMC Consulting COO Ron Hurle
Ron Hurle

Pros
  • Opportunities to advance are provided as they win contracts and jobs lost when they lose them (in 6 reviews)

• I dealt with two reps; the first was very communicative, the second, not so much (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management of Team managers doesn't care about what's going on within teams (in 5 reviews)

• Advised by many not lo list VMC on resume as a Full Time Employee; say you were a Contractor or it would be the kiss of death for any interview (in 3 reviews)

1. Technical Advisor

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will sometimes work with your schedule if you are a student.

Cons

Management is extremely poor in this company. Not only are they never present, but the individuals who are employed as "managers" are extremely inept and unprofessional; they lack the necessary leaderships skills. They will accuse employees of doing things "wrong" however, they are so uneducated and unprofessional that they can't even tell you what it is that you are doing wrong; thus leading in a lot of unfair terminations of good employees who truly are doing their job and going above and beyond for their customers.

For what they pay, which is $9.50/hr, they definitely are exploiting their employees by expecting so much out of them with very little pay and no incentives. If a company expects stellar service out of their employees, pay definitely needs to be increased and better management to correctly lead their employees; especially when working for such a major telecommunications company.

The center lacks the proper equipment to do your job right. Not only are there no headsets, the very few headsets available are either broken or malfunctioning. Management has been promising new headsets for over a year now but the employees are yet to find those new headsets to properly do their job. Amongst management it is more about socializing amongst each other and what they will be doing for lunch rather than fixing the issues in front of them.

Advice to Management

Hire better qualified individuals who actually have leadership experience and will be present rather than just wondering and socializing around the site during their work hours; extremely unprofessional and unethical. Make sure that they are educated as to why they are terminating individuals so a lot of employees won't be left in the dark when they are told "we don't know what you're doing wrong sorry."

2. SDE

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

The do provide vacation pay ...2 weeks a year

Cons

Pay is not current with the times. They do not honor promises they provide to employees.

Look elsewhere if you can...

Former Employee - CRM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - CRM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great way to start out in the technology field if have no experience and need to get it to better you resume. Training is good if lead by Microsoft Support Engineers.

Cons

The pay is not good. Base hourly salary usually starts around 15$/hr to 17$/hr. Management is awful, they don't care about their employees happiness and anything you say to them goes in one ear and our the other. I never felt comfortable going to upper level management in fear of being fired for voicing an opinion. They say they have an open door policy, but certainly don't mean it for how management portrays themselves. Raises are bad. In the three years I worked there, there were 0.10 to 0.15 cent raises once a year. I got a better raise when I worked at Geek Squad. I was lucky to have had a diamond in the rough manager who made I reported, but once she moved on, I was not happy anymore. She really helped to filter out all the nonsense coming from higher ups. Her replacement was the polar opposite of her and hence why I left. Even upper management treated her like dirt. If you come on as a Volt employee, the benefits are not good. They are limited medical and dental benefits. Once you are brought on as a VMC employee, usually happens after a year of working for Volt, the benefits get better and are your standard 80% coverage and dental of $1,000 annual. When I left, they didn't even bother to do an exit interview that is how little they cared and I was one of the top performers on my team. They just said "I need you laptop and bag" and he walked me out on my last day (normal security measure they do).

Advice to Management

You need to practice what you preach. Definitely not living your core values. If you want to keep the turn around to a minimum, you need to listen to your employees, treat them well, show them that they are valued to both you and to the company!

5. QA Tester

Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helps to grow contact and nice environment

Cons

Not good money
    Overall not good experience

No one steering the ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

Great talent pool. Recruiting is good

Cons

NO leadership. Previous leadership team has been replaced. New leader was brought in and bolted soon after. Double dip with VMC and VIS so client gets charged twice. Contracter's are body slammed and y employees stay because of path of least resistance. Childish, Petty, Toxic. Run away

Longtime customers are leaving once contracts expire

Advice to Management

get some leadership

One of the worst most disorganized companies I've ever worked for

I worked at VMC Consulting

Pros

There are literally no good things you can say

Cons

Management has no idea what's going on and they constantly enact policies that have little relevance to employees. They emphasize policy and procedure and forget about the service they are providing. No one ever has any idea what's going on and most employees run around confused and frustrated

Project Coordinator

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nothing? they got me a job? but the only thing they gave me was a foot in the door

Cons

VMC will get you placed but they take more than any other contracting company and you'll wish you weren't associated with them. Trying to move up or on-ward is completely impossible here. Some recruiters are nice and will help as much as possible but the company as a whole can't do anything.

Advice to Management

Paying double over-head to VMC and Volt really keeps us from getting even close to what we deserve.

DRAMA

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivation to look for employment

Cons

Management has no clue or doesn't care about their employees

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a fair salary or you will not be in business in the next 10 yrs

The McDonalds of contractors

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

Plenty of work available (especially at Microsoft), speedy hiring process, classes offered to increase skill portfolio or brush up on rusty skills.

Cons

Low pay, terrible infrastructure, constant mess-ups with paycheques, terrible benefits (health insurance pays for basically nothing, and even the vision insurance isn't accepted anywhere), unhelpful staff, and cavalier management.

Advice to Management

You hire developers all the time for your clients. Please hire some of them instead to work on your web infrastructure. The timecard web app breaks on a weekly basis and looks like it hasn't been updated in over a decade.

11. Too much politics. Constant "flip-flop" of what's right and wrong.

Former Employee - XADM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - XADM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable place to work at... somewhat. Possible to move towards a Microsoft job, but sometimes working for VMC is a crutch instead of a stepping stone.

Cons

Management doesn't talk to one another.

Upper management of Team managers doesn't care about what's going on within teams.

Team Manager don't listen to any suggestions.

Management attempts to threaten you with verbal/write-up when you call in sick after you disagree with their phrase "you're not that sick, come in and tough it out"

Management will tell you to do things a certain way, then change their minds a month later and then reprimand you for doing things their way a month ago.

Management picks favorites. They'll reprimand one engineer for an action, and praise another for the same action.

Advice to Management

When you keep moving a manager from team to team, and you notice people quitting or magically getting bad stats; how can you think it's the team members?

RSS Feed </> Embed