VMC Consulting Reviews

77 reviews filtered by
2.4
VMC Consulting COO Ron Hurle
Ron Hurle

Pros
  • There are some great people, I've established a great relationship with a specfic recruiter which has absolutely advanced my career (in 3 reviews)

• Pay, managers and work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management with zero regard for employee morale (in 5 reviews)

• If you're a full-time employee with VMC who manages the vendor contracts, as opposed to one of the actual contractors, it might be better (in 3 reviews)

1. Technical service advisor

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, good management

Cons

No time off, no incentives

Advice to Management

Work with peoes schedules across the board

2. Should not be your first choice

Current Contractor - STE III in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - STE III in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively stable, never had an issue with paycheck, my direct management was good

Cons

No benefits, upper management not engaged

Advice to Management

Be more involved with employees

3. For the meantime is perfect while you find something in your career or while you are studying.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

Nice people, good environment and flexible hours.

Cons

Monotonous, basic/low payment, har to get more than 30 hours a week.

5. SDE

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

The do provide vacation pay ...2 weeks a year

Cons

Pay is not current with the times. They do not honor promises they provide to employees.

6. Lots of potential

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting

Pros

while working for VMC it is possible to advance fast if you have the drive.

Cons

some of the employee tools could use some updating

Advice to Management

None

7. Not the worst, not the best either.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at VMC Consulting

Pros

The people I work with are supportive & kind. The job is easy & fairly laid-back.

Cons

Management has zero concern for employee morale. Compensation is poor. Raises? What raises? Have gotten none since moving to my current role & my performance has been excellent.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Give them a pat on the back if they do well. More money would be even nicer.

8. Look elsewhere if you can...

Former Employee - CRM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - CRM Support Engineer in Fargo, ND

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great way to start out in the technology field if have no experience and need to get it to better you resume. Training is good if lead by Microsoft Support Engineers.

Cons

The pay is not good. Base hourly salary usually starts around 15$/hr to 17$/hr. Management is awful, they don't care about their employees happiness and anything you say to them goes in one ear and our the other. I never felt comfortable going to upper level management in fear of being fired for voicing an opinion. They say they have an open door policy, but certainly don't mean it for how management portrays themselves. Raises are bad. In the three years I worked there, there were 0.10 to 0.15 cent raises once a year. I got a better raise when I worked at Geek Squad. I was lucky to have had a diamond in the rough manager who made I reported, but once she moved on, I was not happy anymore. She really helped to filter out all the nonsense coming from higher ups. Her replacement was the polar opposite of her and hence why I left. Even upper management treated her like dirt. If you come on as a Volt employee, the benefits are not good. They are limited medical and dental benefits. Once you are brought on as a VMC employee, usually happens after a year of working for Volt, the benefits get better and are your standard 80% coverage and dental of $1,000 annual. When I left, they didn't even bother to do an exit interview that is how little they cared and I was one of the top performers on my team. They just said "I need you laptop and bag" and he walked me out on my last day (normal security measure they do).

Advice to Management

You need to practice what you preach. Definitely not living your core values. If you want to keep the turn around to a minimum, you need to listen to your employees, treat them well, show them that they are valued to both you and to the company!

9. QA Tester

Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helps to grow contact and nice environment

Cons

Not good money
    Overall not good experience

10. Only my coworkers keep the review up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworker were, for the most part (there were a few slackers/drama stirrers), were absolutely wonderful to work with. My manager was excellent, and I felt confident talking honestly with him in one-on-ones, and he actively worked to resolve any issues I was having, and to give me feedback on my work. Granted, I did have to chase him down a little bit, but that's because he's fulfilling about 4 job roles right now. Work hours were flexible, at least in regards to having to be elsewhere occasionally; as long as my projects were completed and I made 40 hours, I could leave early for (for example) a doctor's appointment without any trouble.

They try to promote from within, and there is tons to learn, especially if you're looking for it. The benefits, for an FTE at least, are pretty good

Cons

There is almost no communication from the top down. Most of the time, my manager, who has been here awhile and is in the know on a lot of things, didn't know what was going on in regards to project initiation, projects getting put on hold for indeterminate amounts of time, changes to systems or departments, etc. We've gone almost 3 years now with no offical org chart, so who knows who reports to whom or who is in charge of what, aside from your immediate manager.

The company doesn't really value its employees, it feels like. Merit increases are small to none, and irregular. In the last few years, we've gone from several company-sponsored employee events (company picnic, Christmas party (which has been gone even longer), etc) to pretty much none, except for a couple of potlucks. Morale is not great, and higher-ups don't seem to care.

It takes months to get approvals for the smallest process changes, and processes are not assessed or revamped for efficiency, which makes for a lot of repetitive and in some cases, conflicting, work.

One caveat on my not recommending to someone else is, it's actually a pretty good place for an entry-level position. I just wouldn't recommend it if you have a solid skill set, and don't stay more than a year or two.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Show some leadership instead of letting the departments flounder around trying to keep their area of business afloat while having no structure, support, or guidance. People in the lower and middle ranks with suggestions to improve things pretty much go unnoticed, and this makes things very inefficient. Treat the employees better. Act like you actually care that there are people here, as opposed to just your bottom line. Of the people I know, if they had better acknowledgement, you'd get a ton more productivity.

11. Service Analyst 4

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

Not many opportunities if you are carrer oriented

Advice to Management

.....